The Legendary Bluesman Hubert Sumlin has passed on

One of the last and greatest of blues's Greatest Generation ...

http://www.ameriblue...-hubert-sumlin/

On the RS recent list of the 100 greatest guitarists (with a quote from JP):

"I love Hubert Sumlin," Jimmy Page has said. "He always played the right thing at the right time."

He was part of a Robert Johnson tribute tour headed up by Todd Park Mohr (of Big Head Todd and the Monsters) that passed through here last year but I let it sneak up on me and I missed the date. More on the tour here.

What a bummer. I'm so glad I got to see Les Paul play a number of times before he passed.

RIP Hubert...

He was part of a Robert Johnson tribute tour headed up by Todd Park Mohr (of Big Head Todd and the Monsters) that passed through here last year but I let it sneak up on me and I missed the date. More on the tour here.

Although I saw him about 5-6 years ago, I missed his most recent (and great) performance here:

Sumlin can also be seen in the movie The Perfect Age of Rock n' Roll which recently came out on DVD. Probably not worth renting just for the segment that includes him (as well as the late Pinetop Perkins and others) but I thought it was a nice touch. This isn't a scene from the movie but rather the blues band that performed in it:

Pinetop Perkins - pianist for Muddy Waters

Hubert Sumlin - guitarist for Howlin Wolf

Bob Margolin, guitarist for Muddy Waters

Sugar Blue, harmonica player for the Rolling Stones (Miss You), among others

Bob Stroger, bass player for Otis Rush and many others.

http://youtu.be/ImvUnsldJDg

Awwwww, nearly every day brings some sad news like this.

One by one, they are passing away. That's why I always try to see everybody when I have the chance...cause you never know when you WON'T have that chance anymore.

Hubert Sumlin was one of the greats I managed to be able to see and I am thankful I did.

Rest in Peace Hubert Sumlin. Thanks for your music and the inspiration you gave to so many other favourite guitarists of mine.

Local Memorial Set For Hubert Sumlin, Mick And Keith Reportedly Pay For Funeral

"I just wanted to share with you, Hubert's loving fans, that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have insisted on picking up the full expenses for Hubert's funeral. God Bless the Rolling Stones".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived