vbeddow

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone read Light and Shade yet? New biography by Brad Tolinski - over last 20 years, Brad has interviewed Jimmy more than any other journalist in the world! Amazing book...could be the most complete picture of the media-shy guitarist ever published.

Does any one fancy reading some early content? Would be happy to send as not yet out in the UK. Really want to get some early feedback from you all before it goes out!

Hello Vbeddow .. welcome to the forum..

I wondered if perhaps you were involved with the publishers if it's the book itself you're offering ?

I know that many of us on this site are looking forward to reading the book and would be delighted to see it ! You might need a LOT of spare review copies though ...

Vbeddow, I think a lot of us would like to read this book but - apart from any of us who might see review copies - the rest of us are waiting for October 23rd.

If you're talking about some kind of advance copy, I am reminded of the tweets I get which invite me to just click on the dodgy link to get a free ipad...

There are many people on this forum for whom a copy of that book is roughly equivalent to a free ipad !

Brad Tolinski is a good music journalist and Guitar World is a good magazine, but I'll put in a note of caution here: my guess is that a lot of the material in this book will just be reprints of the numerous GW interviews Page has given over the years. I've drawn on these for my own Zeppelin-related books. If you've never read the original interviews (which have usually coincided with the release of some new Page or Zep material, e.g. BBC Sessions in '98, HTWWW in '03, etc.) you'll be in for a treat, but if you've already seen the magazine pieces (like the Special Issue below), you may not find much new here. Professional jealousy on my part? Time will tell.

post-12775-0-81407900-1346712465_thumb.j

post-12775-0-36921300-1346712495.gif

Yea id love to read some vbeddow, fire away :)

Does it mention anything at all regarding Thelema?

.....related link that I found, not entirely sure...excerpt from a posted review...

..."Towards the end of the book the interviews are rounded out with a detailed breakdown of Page's guitar collection, a look at his occult leanings and some other esoterica."

http://www.goodreads...light-and-shade

With all the Celebration Day excitement I'd forgotten about this book. I'm still looking forward to reading it though.

I hadn't. I can't wait for this, Celebration Day and the Get the Led Out book also looks very good. Am already reading Trampled Underfoot and love it. I think it is the same book that will be released in the States called Oral History..

I just got my copy of "Light and Shade" today. Looks like there is something for everyone. I always love reading about the American blues scene in 50s/60s UK and there's a bit on Jimmy's presumed astrological chart in the final chapter. No new photographs that I can perceive but I'm no expert.

George Case's book is cited in the bibliography but I don't know how much of the book is a reprint of Tolinski interviews since I'm not a regular Guitar World reader but others are interviewed as well. It does make me want to buy Case's book, too.

And for the record, a publishing friend just explained what my copy is. I guess it's a bit like the YouTube videos of the O2 but just as that won't stop me from buying the legit DVD, I will buy a legit copy of the book once it's published. Curious if Tolinski will do any readings in NYC. I expect that he will.

Thank you all for discussion on this book thus far till it's general release. Please do comment on the Photographs, are there any new ones Page provided specifically for this book? any excerpts that you find most interesting, and are there any brand new interviews which the author will indicates, what date was the latest interview with Page...anything you find interesting that can be helpful to others....please do share, thanks..

I found it a huge disappointment. It appears to be all previously published material (he even quotes from "It Might Get Loud" about the title) and from video interviews you can find online.

I don't have an 1/8th of the LZ/Jimmy knowledge most Forum members have and I think there were a total of 3 things (and by things I mean sentences!) I hadn't already read from links here or simple internet searches. (A new take on gender equality from Crowley - won't spoil it, but who knew?)

I enjoy reading all the guitar geek-ery but do we need to read again that his Black Beauty was stolen and that his number 1 came from Joe Walsh? That's Jimmy 101. There were Paul Rodgers and JPJ interviews (who I love more each time I read about /hear him - so dry, so hilarious) that may have been published before, no idea since I'm not a regular Guitar World reader. I'd read John Varvatos' viewpoint in something else, can't remember - a fashion magazine, maybe. Even the astrology was fundamental - I'm no astrologer and I could tell you the impact of Scorpio rising on a Capricorn sun with a Cancer moon.

We all know Jimmy is an enigma and isn't interested in sharing his private self with the public (I empathize, fame seems like a total drag) but for all the hours the interviewer spent with him, he offers zero insight into his subject. And who is more fascinating than Jimmy Page? Or maybe, he isn't at all - and I'm just fooled by the otherworldly music, the incredible mystique, and the crazysexycool.

All the same, when I'm interested in something/one I like to read it all from hack jobs to hagiographies. To me, this falls in the latter category.

Besides the cover, there was only one photo I'd never seen before (you all may have). It's by Neal Preston, who I think has taken the most revealing, most interesting photos of Jimmy. It's from 1984, and to me he looks very sad and very vulnerable - more so than any of the ones from 77-83.

Thank you all for sharing your reviews. I find it helpful, to get an overall picture, although I will have to read it myself. I hope some unique personalities are interviewed who give some insight in to this very culturally celebrated musician, shall I say. I would have like to see some more fashion designers interviewed as they decorated his iconic classic imagery on stage and off stage...this would be fascinating to me...

Thank you all for sharing your reviews. I find it helpful, to get an overall picture, although I will have to read it myself. I hope some unique personalities are interviewed who give some insight in to this very culturally celebrated musician, shall I say. I would have like to see some more fashion designers interviewed as they decorated his iconic classic imagery on stage and off stage...this would be fascinating to me...

That would be very interesting! I adore fashion & I'm a frequent reader of VOGUE, W & Harper's Bazaar among many other fashion publications.

• 1 month later...

I found it a huge disappointment. It appears to be all previously published material (he even quotes from "It Might Get Loud" about the title) and from video interviews you can find online.

I also was disappointed in this book. There are about 20 pictures total. Some are half page, all are black and white. I didn't buy it for the photos, but the photos were poorly reproduced imo, a few quite blurry (as though they were photos of photos).

I did buy it to read about Jimmy and the conversations he had with the author. While I enjoyed reading those, they were all very basic information that I believe most Jimmy Page fans will already know. What bothered me was there were inaccuracies here and there such as stating Jimmy got a divorce in 1975 and a slight mention of Jimena as a girlfriend only. Things like that should have been checked. There is no mention of induction into the R and R HOF or many details on his post Zep days. There is no complete discography anywhere in the book either.

I'm not sorry for the purchase as I still enjoyed reading Jimmy's quotes, even if I knew the information already from other books. I'd recommend it for someone new to the band and Jimmy Page. For more seasoned fans, I'd definitely suggest George Case's book "Jimmy Page, Magus Musician Man." It has more indepth information, a detailed discography and some excellent color pictures, a few which I'd never seen before. Missy

Archived