Hanover, Germany- Messehalle- June 24, 1980

DavidZoso

This was the sixth show of the 1980 European tour and it is a good show but not as good as some of the other ones like Zurich and Frankfurt. This is the only show where before any note is played, Robert Plant says "Good evening." Then he complains about the echo of the venue before In the Evening and you can clearly hear the echo. He then says, off mic but clear as day " Fuckining horrible place."

The version of Since I've been Loving You is one of the best of this tour. All My Love is also a nice version.

After The Rain Song- Bonzo plays on the snare drum the intro to Moby Dick a couple of times and then Robert says "John Bonham" - then you can hear Bonzo say "Moby Dick" and then Robert kinda eggs him on to play it off mic and Bonzo says "Now way, Mate, No way"

During Trampled Underfoot Bonzo seems bored and ready to finish the song. In fact him and Jonesy stop playing completely at one point and leave Jimmy's guitar all by it's self for a moment. Also during Achilles Last Stand during the part towards the end where everyone stops while Bonzo does the drum fill (it varies how he does it in all versions) -he actually just keeps doing the galloping regular beat.

The intro to Rock and Roll is played very slow at first and then Bonzo kicks it in. Also Jonesy's bass is missing for the first part of the song.

Communication Breakdown is a nice take no prisoners version.

Setlist:

Train Kept a Rollin'

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Black Dog

In The Evening

The Rain Song

Hot Dog

All My Love

Trampled Underfoot

Since I've Been Loving You

Achilles Last Stand

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside

Kashmir

Stairway to Heaven

Encores:

Rock and Roll

Communication Breakdown

Nobody's Fault but Mine

8010w.png

Good Evening. I said, good evening! Yeah, well, how bout' that? I thought I'd take me glasses off. Might be able to see the fret board better. Well we got a number now. An old one, uh, hasn't been put out to pasture yet. but it's old and it's called 'Black Dog.'

zurich801.png

lz1980062401.jpg

The Rain Song

805v.png

Achilles Last Stand

hannover80.png

Stairway to Heaven

56047053.png

Stairway to Heaven

fd008.jpg

Sue I just have to say you are the coolest woman I have met in a long time. I mean for a female who is still young - you are very smart and then for you to be a big fan of one of my favorite songs-(Achilles Last Stand) is just splendid beyond words.

Not knocking other Led Zep female fans but most of them like stuff like 'Thank You', Whole Lotta Love' and 'The Rain Song.' Nothing wrong with those songs but most women I have come across don't even know there is a album called Presence or even a song called Achilles Last Stand. I am happy to have you as a friend. Hats off to you. :D

Sue I just have to say you are the coolest woman I have met in a long time. I mean for a female who is still young - you are very smart and then for you to be a big fan of one of my favorite songs-(Achilles Last Stand) is just splendid beyond words.

Not knocking other Led Zep female fans but most of them like stuff like 'Thank You', Whole Lotta Love' and 'The Rain Song.' Nothing wrong with those songs but most women I have come across don't even know there is a album called Presence or even a song called Achilles Last Stand. I am happy to have you as a friend. Hats off to you. :D

Thanks very much for the compliments! I don't know why ALS isn't a more respected song, it's more dynamic than either StH or Kashmir, (not that those are bad songs, they're both monumental accomplishments and masterpieces, I just think ALS is better) :whistling:

I love the drama of this song, it's just so unrelenting and an absolute testament to everything that made this band so powerful and important! I especially like the version from this night when Bonzo doesn't do the drum fill because it only HEIGHTENS the drama and supense that much more! Definitely one of the best happy accidents I've ever heard!

I've gotta say though, there's nothing wrong with a good WLL if you ask me, especially when it's got Gene Pitney's "Hello Mary Lou" in the medley, certainly one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard! XD

It kinds stinks being this young and knowing so much about Led Zeppelin, because there's no one my age to talk to about them, but then I remember that I've got this site and all those worries go away! :peace:

I agree it is a very poweful song- I would say their closest thing to a Prog song. And yes Stairway to Heaven is an amazing song but I prefer Kashmir to STH.

I have been going back and re-listening to these '80 shows while doing the photo setlists and my lil essay at the top- I accidently described the version of ALS from Mannheim 7-2-80 haha instead of the just silent version here for Hanover. Which after a lil silence he does a a couple of hi hat clicks and then back into the song. I am having a Attack of all the Killer Achilles from 1980. :rolleyes:

Also I love all the Whole Lotta Love's thru the years- medleys etc but that extra riff introduced in Copenhagen 1979 and then Knebworth '79 get's me every time. They even did it on the Page Plant tours. Very surprised it wasn't used at the O2 show in 2007. Heck they even did it at the Atlantic reunion in 1988.

I agree it is a very poweful song- I would say their closest thing to a Prog song. And yes Stairway to Heaven is an amazing song but I prefer Kashmir to STH.

I have been going back and re-listening to these '80 shows while doing the photo setlists and my lil essay at the top- I accidently described the version of ALS from Mannheim 7-2-80 haha instead of the just silent version here for Hanover. Which after a lil silence he does a a couple of hi hat clicks and then back into the song. I am having a Attack of all the Killer Achilles from 1980. :rolleyes:

Also I love all the Whole Lotta Love's thru the years- medleys etc but that extra riff introduced in Copenhagen 1979 and then Knebworth '79 gets me every time. They even did it on the Page Plant tours. Very surprised it wasn't used at the O2 show in 2007. Heck they even did it at the Atlantic reunion in 1988.

Almost all versions of ALS are amazing, except for 4/3/77, 7/20/77 and 7/23/79.

I love the WLL from 1979, so heavy and badass, and I like the Page/Plant versions too. I'm more surprised that Heartbreaker wasn't played at the o2.

The version from Copenhagen 7-23-79 isn't all that bad- early in it Jonesy and Jimmy get off playing different parts but other than that not bad- Bonzo is kiiling it on the drums. I just re-listened to it. Tempe is just in another realm but I like the kinda spanish sounding parts he plays before the regular opening notes.

OK 4-3-77 isn't too bad-few mishaps here and there- what do you expect for the 2nd only every live outing haha Pretty intense version really. I love the version of In My Time of Dying from that show.

The version from Copenhagen 7-23-79 isn't all that bad- early in it Jonesy and Jimmy get off playing different parts but other than that not bad- Bonzo is kiiling it on the drums. I just re-listened to it. Tempe is just in another realm but I like the kinda spanish sounding parts he plays before the regular opening notes.

OK 4-3-77 isn't too bad-few mishaps here and there- what do you expect for the 2nd only every live outing haha Pretty intense version really. I love the version of In My Time of Dying from that show.

Other than Tempe, I just meant that these were 'okay' versions, not necessarily bad all together.

But I do like that spanish thing too, and how the opening bars were what I believe to be intentionally slowed down at first.

Archived