Spartan Goes To See Robert Plant (My Rip Off Of Striders LZ Threads)

Backstory

I'll spare you my life story details, but as far as how I got into Led Zeppelin, basically in 2007 a tragic death happened, and a hole was in my heart (metaphorically speaking). That hole was filled with a new found appreciation for music, mainly Queen at the time. In 2008, I would truly expand my music horizons and get into all sorts of bands. Led Zeppelin became my favorite very quickly.

In 2010, I would discover Robert Plant and his newly formed Band Of Boy was making an appearance at Tulsa, Oklahomas very own Brady Theater! I hadn't ever been to a concert before, and at this time I was 15. Me and my friend talked about it, him being a huge classic rock fan like I was, and me, him and his mom decided to go. I knew to expect some Led Zeppelin tunes, but I was also excited to hear some Robert Plant tunes and some of the new Band Of Joy tunes! The album wasn't going to hit until September if I recall correctly, so we would be hearing them before anyone else did, unless you went to his concerts of course. I remember it being a long, anxious wait. Let me tell you that at this time, I was (and still am, somewhat, but not as often) diagnosed with panic attacks. I was scared that I would have to leave the concert because of it, and I really, really didn't want to do that. In a way, it made me kind of dread the concert too. But, I would just have to deal with it when the time came...

The concert would take place on July 16th 2010, 10 days after my birthday. To my, and my friends amazement, my aunt got me the best birthday gift ever. A ride in a limo to and from the concert! A driver, drinks in the back, it was going to be so fucking awesome! That helped me feel a bit better about going.

Friday Night In Tulsa

As Robert said during the concert. Finally, the day arrived. The Limo was scheduled to pick us up at my friends house. We waited, it arrived, and we left. It was awesome! We wondered if people thought we were Garth Brooks, since be both live in the same small town next to Tulsa. There were drinks in the back for us, coke for me and my friend and some alcohol for my friends mother. Oh joy! We all of course helped ourselves. I got a bit anxious on the way to the concert and asked the limo driver to stop at a gas station so I could have a cool off moment. I didn't want to ruin the day, but anxiety attacks are a bitch, you literally feel like you are going to die. It didn't helped I had been in a drivers ed car wreck back in May of that year and it totaled the car, and left our instructor needing 30 stitches and the girl student who was driving had a mild concussion. I was in the back seat, and didn't need to go to hospital. I only had whiplash on my chest from the seatbelt.

Soon, we had arrived without further incident to the Brady Theater. Ahh, my first concert. We eagerly awaited the opening, and when it did me and my friend secured our T-Shirts. If I can remember, later on I'll take a picture of the T-Shirt, front and back, to show you guys. Me and my friend both got the same one. We took our seats, and thank god I was on the very far right. If any panic attack happened, I could easily leave without getting in anyones way. Luckily for me, I took it like a trooper and braved the anxiety, and did not have to leave even once during the concert! I was so proud of myself for that. Time for the sold out show to start!

Anyways, there was some band that opened up for them, can't really remember for the life of me what their name was or what songs they played. It was cool, but nothing I really cared for to be honest. Soon though, I would be seeing the man of the hour. Not too long after the opener left, I saw him for the first time in front of my very eyes in person, the frontman for my favorite band, Mr. Robert Plant! I had finally seen him in person. I could go home after that, but of course only a fool would do that. He started with Down To The Sea and then welcomed us! Ah, sweet bliss. I was so happy to be there. Angel dance was up next, and to be honest I can't really recall much of that night. Concert amnesia, I call it. I do remember it being awesome though, and he flubbed the lyrics to "All The Kings Horses" which was really unique. He got a round of applause for doing it though! He started the song again and it rocked, one of my favorite Plant songs. With the help of setlist.fm, I can now recall all the Zeppelin tunes he did. An awesome version of Misty Mountain Hop, Nobodies Fault But Mine, Houses Of The Holy, Gallows Pole, Over The Hills And Far Away, which was probably the highlight as the crowd sung along and my friend recalls drowned him out! Finally, there were 3 encores, Thank You, Rock And Roll and We Bid You Goodnight. Thank Yous rendition was so awesome, felt very similar to the Zeppelin version, since it wasn't really a heavy song to begin with. Rock And Roll was also pretty rockin', if I do say so myself!

Finally, the night was over. I had survived it and had myself another Coke in the limo. Some girl chased after us as we left, probably thinking we were Robert! Ahh, I could of gotten used to that. One of the best nights of my life was now over, and while I was sad that it was over, I smiled because it happened. I finally saw a Led Zeppelin member in person, performing. And it was awesome. I did capture some video, my friend captured a small snippet of video but stopped after getting caught and almost having his camera knocked out of his hand onto the ground. He also got some good pictures too! Anyways, I hope you guys liked this post, and I will answer any questions you guys have :) Thanks!

Oh, and heres my footage I took!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvX6Xc_03bM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvX6Xc_03bM

Robert Plant stuns capacity crowd with Friday night concert

Robert Plant dressed for comfort in a dark tee, relaxed dungarees and pointed leather cowboy boots. But this was no casual affair.

The legendary singer and songman’s concert Friday night at the Brady Theater in Tulsa was his first here in half a decade, and the sold-out audience was ready for him.

“Welcome to the first intergalactical tour of the Band of Joy,” Plant yelled after bowing low to a standing, screaming crowd. “At least the first tour since the first half of the last century.”

Plant’s U.S. tour with his band started this week – the first official outing for the English band in more than 40 years. He and bandmate John Bonham went on to join Led Zeppelin in the late ‘60s.

Plant’s Friday set was an adept blend of the American roots he’s explored so thoroughly for nearly half a century. There was blues and country and bluegrass and rockabilly (boy, was there) and gospel and straight-up rock, all helmed by his agile trademark vocals.

His set was fitted with harmonica, five supporting musicians and, yes, even a washboard. Tunes included the new and classic, from the ‘70s Zep standard “Rock and Roll,” ‘80s solo hit “Tall Cool One” to “Rich Woman” from the Grammy-winning 2007 album “Raising Sand” and Band of Joy’s debut of “Angel Dance.”

He erupted into laughter early in the set, as he witnessed recognition — and ecstasy — wash over he crowd after the beginning bars of the Led Zeppelin oldie “Misty Mountain Hop.”

Band of Joy featured the down-home inspiration of Patty Griffin on vocals; the unrivaled rockabilly and surf-guitar of Buddy Miller, versatile former Sun Studio musician Byron House on stand-up bass, Darrel Scott played everything from pedal steel guitar to banjo and Marco Giovino ruled the drum kit.

Band of Joy happily ripped through some six new tunes from its upcoming studio album, including “House of Cards,” “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down,” “Central Two O Nine.”

A highlight of Friday night’s show, they performed a gospel-esque medley including “Twelve Gates to the City” and “Wade in the Water.”

The band emblazoned its distinctive iron brand on each tune performed, including “Gallows Pole,” “Over the Hills and Far Away,” “Down to the Sea,” “Rich Woman,” “Thank You,” “Houses of the Holy,” “Please Read the Letter” and more.

Shimmering surf-rock vibrato, doghouse-style bass and honky-tonk slide guitar glimmered with emotional intensity.

Griffin – Plant’s vocal His Girl Friday – complimented and counterbalanced his distinctive vocals, adding richness and texture and depth. At times, he seemed a little tipsy in the wake of her charm.

A misfire at “All The King’s Men” even earned the 61-year-old a round of applause, as Plant rebooted the tune from the top and laughed it off. The capacity crowd was pleasantly ornery, whooping and feeding into — and from – the band.

Opening act the North Mississippi Allstars Duo LuCo (brothers Luther and Cody Dickinson) rumbled and wailed through a set of up-tempo, bluesy, rocky, jam-infused Americana — the pair as drummer-keyboardist and guitarist, mixing vocal harmonies with finger slide and staccato rhythm.

By JENNIFER CHANCELLOR World Scene Writer

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=269&articleid=20100717_371_0_Rbrlnr683871

I saw BOJ 1/28/11 and it may have been the best show I ever saw in person...and it was great to be in a small place and see how Robert and the musicians were really having a great time...In his own way Buddy Miller is awesome...no I am not comparing him to Jimmy, but people that don't recognize the talent of many americana performers are limiting themselves...which is ok. I am at the point where I can't wait to see what Plant does next...doesn't mean I love Zep less. The originination for this phase of Robert's career are right there on Zep 3 and PG. FM radio has just obscured that by playing the same Zep 5 songs over and over.

:thumbsup: Way to go Last Spartan...nice write-up!

Sorry to hear about your anxiety attacks; are they less frequent these days? Good for you that you soldiered on through the concert without having to leave.

Very cool that your very first concert was Robert Plant...not many people can say their first concert was seeing a member of Led Zeppelin.

Thanks for posting that Spartan.....what a great first experience of a concert and lasting memories for you. It is really nice to hear about the younger generation gravitating to the classic rock I grew up with.

Hope the anxiety is under control these days. Take care.

Great review and experience Spartan. Hopefully, things are getting a bit better and easier for you now. That was a great detailed concert experience from the pre-show and throughout till the end. Well done!

Great that you had such a good time in Tulsa.

Funny being Tulsa makes me think that the band Hanson is from the Tulsa area. At least they write their own material. The years go by and they're in their late 20's or early thirties by now as they started in their teens during the mid 90's. Not much younger than Zep currently, when (at least Robert at 32, when they disbanded in 1980). Doesn't matter much, just throwing this out there. I think, I may have read something over the years about this band, that they are Zeppelin fans. Thought, I may have seen one of them wearing a Zeppelin shirt at one time.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys! Should of said that sooner. My panic attacks nowadays are pretty much non-existent. As far as more concert reviews go, I'll have a go at writing for Roger Waters here shortly, and then I will write, after it happens, about Let's Zeppelin / Electric Funeral / Idle, three bands performing at a benefit concert at Tulsa's own legendary Cain's Ballroom. Should be fun! Anyways, also bumping this thread for anyone to read that hasn't, and to give a long-awaited thanks for reading my thread to those who never got it.

I had finally seen him in person. I could go home after that, but of course only a fool would do that. He started with Down To The Sea and then welcomed us! Ah, sweet bliss. I was so happy to be there. Angel dance was up next, and to be honest I can't really recall much of that night. Concert amnesia, I call it. I do remember it being awesome though, and he flubbed the lyrics to "All The Kings Horses" which was really unique. He got a round of applause for doing it though! He started the song again and it rocked, one of my favorite Plant songs.

TheLastSpartan,

I noticed that someone put up several videos from Tulsa on youtube the other day that are pretty good quality and including the messed up "All The Kings Horses" which was actually pretty great to watch. He managed to take the flub with great humor and kept on going until they got it :) Thanks again for sharing your experience and I'm so glad it was a good one.

hey TLS, I'm just reading your original post for the first time. Great story! but it looks like the video is gone, oh well... More importantly, I hope you are coping and on a road to feeling the best you can all the time...cheers Rich

TheLastSpartan,

I noticed that someone put up several videos from Tulsa on youtube the other day that are pretty good quality and including the messed up "All The Kings Horses" which was actually pretty great to watch. He managed to take the flub with great humor and kept on going until they got it :) Thanks again for sharing your experience and I'm so glad it was a good one.

I'll need to check out those videos! And no problem! Love sharing my experiences with you guys!

hey TLS, I'm just reading your original post for the first time. Great story! but it looks like the video is gone, oh well... More importantly, I hope you are coping and on a road to feeling the best you can all the time...cheers Rich

Yeah, it got deleted for whatever reason. I'm currently in the process of getting it back up, gotta re-edit it and then upload it. I am coping a lot better, panic attacks are pretty much gone now. Thank you!

I'll need to check out those videos! And no problem! Love sharing my experiences with you guys!

Guy goes by bustedface and caught several of the songs. It's cool to go back to early days with any of the bands and see how they deal with situations and feel each other out :) Here's the starts off a bit awkward but they made light of it and it sorted itself out "All The Kings Horses"

Archived