Jimi Hendrix

gperkins151

without a doubt, Jimi was "the man" in so many regards...and yes, Mitch Mitchell has always been totally underrated...and Janie "Hendrix", the STEP-sister of Jimi Hendrix, no blood relation whatsoever, has done ONE good thing and one good thing only: She might have had a part in creating "Dagger Records" which has actually made some of Jimi's unreleased concerts and studio outtakes/compositions available...If anyone here is a TRUE Jim fan (you probably already know aboout it) and isnt aware: go to official website and click on "Dagger Records" - they have released 2-3 studio discs and 5-6 unreleased concerts you can purchase-AND they are only 15 bucks! Well worth it....they even have a disc of Jimi's last concert at the isle of Femharn, Sept. 1970 days before his passing...this is actually the only one I DONT have! Too depressing for me....

The 4 CD Jimi box set is quite good - LOVE the instrumental take of "Bold as Love" - it's probably twice as long as the version on "Axis..." and the instrumental take of little wing...I think liner notes said this was, like, take one or two...amazing!

The only things I didnt like on this box set is the (IMO) substandard versions of "Night Bird Flying", "Freedom", "Ezy Ryder"...while I imagine these were included to showcase Jimi's use of the studio to work out compositions...they are embarassing versions of absolutely BRILLIANT songs...I think Eddy Kramer and gang could've done better than these versions...Overall, though, the box set does provide a few unreleased nuggets but mainly contains live versions of songs which were previously released on older albums which have been long out of print! I give it a 4.5 out of 5. I say this with love because Jimi is the ONLY one who ever surpassed LZ, in my eyes...and surpassed isn't the right word, considering Jimi predates LZ...it just so happens i learned about and loved LZ before i discovered Jimi...but i caught up with a vengeance...

I went into the service in the summer of '82. While overseas (Okinawa) I ordered (i think from RS magazine) an ACTUAL box set-a box of all of Jimi's vinyl albums...not only that, but they were (are) the UK releases. Some of you may not know, but on the 1st album, the UK version has a different cover and the track listing is different! And obviously real Jimi fans know the deal with the UK version of "Electric Ladyland"- it had the "19 nude ladies" on the cover instead of the US version with the "flame face" picture of Jimi! This collection also contained the rare album "Loose Ends" , "In the West" "War Heroes" "Cry of Love" and the most noxious "Crash Landing" and "Midnight Lightning", but also the most exellent "Nine to the Universe" --boy I wish THAT was available on CD!

I actually acquired a, uh, "import" version of "Nine..." back in the nineties which has some really horribe sounding studio jams AFTER the actual "album" portion of the disc is over...but "Nine" itself has always been one of my faves...

Edited by stonefreelee

• 7 months later...

Just listened to Jimi Hendrix at the K.B Hallen, in Copenhagen, Denmark on September 3, 1970. What a great concert, the best of the last Hendrix tour! Here we have Jimi on a good night with all equipment functioning up to Jimi's impossable standards. He's in a good mood, relaxed and in TOTAL control of his guitar. Notice the double leads in Machine Gun (best version ever?). How does he do that? He's only holding ONE guitar!!! This is a new version, a merge of three (secong quality) audience tapes and sounds better and is more complete than any other version I've heard.

Has anyone else heard this show?

Could not find a Jimi thread after doing a few searches. I am very surprised to discover this, as I put him right up there with Zeppelin.

I have been enjoying much of his live stuff lately and would like to ask those of you who have the 4 CD box set "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" (the one with the purple cover) just what you think of it?

It's on sale at a local store (Virgin) for $40.

How's it going "gperkins151!" I saw your topic here on the Forum and I just figured that I had to comment on it. I am a MASSIVE Jimi Hendrix collector as well as many of the other bands. I do have the 4-CD Boxset that you mentioned and I LOVE IT! What do you think of the studio version of "The Star Spangled Banner?" I love the way Jimi performed this version on guitar in the studio. As we are all well aware, Guitar synthesizers were not perfected in 1969 like they are now. Many music critics have questioned how Jimi recorded the Guitar work for "The Star Spangled Banner." That song blows me away every time I hear it. ROCK ON!

• 1 month later...

Jimi Hendrix is after my opinion the greatest guitarist to have lived on this earth. No one have inspired so many guitarplayers to this day. I think that almost every guitarist are inspired by Hendrix, either direct or indirect (at least almost every rock guitarist and blues guitarist).

IMO I think that "Are you experienced?" is maybe the greatest debut-album of all time.

We've never been but my husband is a huge Hendrix fan and has talked of going up there to see that museum.

On the subject of Hendrix, we thought this vid of Hendrix and the Stones was fascinating:

That was cool . Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the Museum there is a lot to see in Seattle.

I too am a giant Jimi fan, can't believe it took this long to stumble upon this thread. Hey does anyone know of a similar-type forum for Hendrix? I can't find anywhere to discuss Jimi and I'd love to find a place like this where I could talk about all things Hendrix. Thanks!

Anyone here knows the "Blues" Cd? If not, listen to it, it is great, he's playing one piece on an acoustic guitar, but you still hear that it is HIM playing.

I love him, especially as a singer. His poster is on the head-end of my bed, he's watching over me when I'm sleeping. I love him.

Anyone here knows the "Blues" Cd? If not, listen to it, it is great, he's playing one piece on an acoustic guitar, but you still hear that it is HIM playing.

I love him, especially as a singer. His poster is on the head-end of my bed, he's watching over me when I'm sleeping. I love him.

How's it going "lucyinthe sky" with diamonds as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Three days until Halloween! Are all of you aware that the VH-1 Classic channel is showing THE WHO at the Isle Of Wight Festival as well as other WHO performances on Wholloween night?

Ok, enough of that. Its time to talk about HENDRIX. I love the "Blues" album as well as the "South Saturn Delta," "Voodoo Soup" and "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun" albums. All of these albums RULE!

Are all of you HENDRIX fans out there aware of this TRUE STORY? It involves the acoustic song "Hear My Train Comin'" that was performed on film by himself. Here's what happened. It was during the "Are You Experienced" photo sessions that the photographer was taking photos of Jimi with the original Experience (Noel Redding and mitch mitchell). After the photo sessions ended, the photographer dismissed the Experience except Jimi. The photographer wanted to take photos of Jimi by himself. When the photographer and Jimi were alone, the photographer gave Jimi a Twelve string acoustic guitar already strung for a left handed guitarist. Jimi looked at the Twelve string acoustic guitar a little intimidated especially since Jimi had NEVER played a Twelve string guitar in his whole life. While the cameras were rolling, Jimi started to play the beginning chords of "Hear My Train Comin'" for the first time on a Twelve string acoustic guitar but then messed up a little bit since he was getting a feel for the Twelve string and apologized to the cameraman telling him that he was going to start all over again. When Jimi started to play again the second time, he ruled and played all over the Twelve string acoustic guitar like he had been playing it for years. This is one of the MANY reasons why Jimi IS, and always will be, THE GREATEST GUITARIST THAT EVER PICKED UP THE INSTRUMENT! How can a man just pick up a Twelve string acoustic guitar for the first time and master it in a few seconds? THIS IS A TRUE STORY! ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever