The Rush Thread

Dance the Crunge

• 5 months later...

In my opinion, RUSH is one of the greatest bands of all-time. Of course, LED ZEPPELIN is (are) the greatest of them all. However, like someone said in one of the posts earlier, Rush was very heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin early on in their career. I read somewhere that even Alex Lifeson said that you can hear their Led Zeppelin influence on most songs on their first album. Just listen to the great song on the first album entitled "Here Again". It is a bluesy number that is reminiscent of "Since I've Been Loving You". During Alex's solo of the song, if you close your eyes and listen you can almost hear Alex playing a very perfect Jimmy Page bluesy solo. I mean that solo in "Here Again" is basically a Jimmy Page solo. Note for note. Remarkable.

• 4 months later...

RUSH Documentary Makers Interviewed At WINDSOR INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL

Tom Lucier conducted an interview with directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn of Toronto, Ontario, Canada's Banger Films Inc. over the weekend when the filmmakers attended the Windsor International Film Festival to speak about their new documentary featuring the legendary Canadian rock band RUSH. The five-minute chat can now be streamed using the audio player here.

I love Rush!!! I liked 2112 and had a couple of albums of them in mp3 a few years ago, but didn't care too much about them, in fact I couldn't stand Geddy's voice that much, until I saw the Rush in Rio dvd and it blew my mind. I've became a fan since then and started to get their albums and dvds, they're amazing live. They were obviously very influenced by Led Zeppelin at the begging but soon they evolve into their own sound, more progressive, although they've changed a lot through the years. My favourite albums are all the ones from 2112 to Moving Pictures. I think the last 2 were also great.

I think Counterparts is their most underrated disc. Love it! Cold Fire, Animate, Nobody's Hero, Stick It Out, etc. Actually that 3 disc run Presto, Roll The Bones and Counterparts was a great series of discs. I saw them on each of those tours (plus 2 other times) - AMAZING! :thumbsup:

NEIL PEART To Record Special Rendition Of TSN Hockey Theme

According to TSN.ca, Neil Peart, renowned drummer of legendary rock band RUSH, will record a special rendition of "The Hockey Theme", the iconic theme song originally written by Dolores Claman in 1968.

In addition to assembling a team of top recording engineers and musicians to assist on the recording, Peart has commissioned DW Drums to create a special hockey-themed drum kit specifically for his unique version of the song.

Peart's version of the theme song will be used during NHL broadcasts on both TSN and RDS throughout the remainder of the NHL season. Details on when the song will debut will be announced at a later date.

Read more from TSN.ca.

20 years ago, my band's setlist was:

Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Anthem

Bastille Day

YYZ

Freewill

Lakeside Park

Passage to Bangkok

Fly By Night>In the Mood

The Trees>Xanadu

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Jacob's Ladder

La Villa Strangiato

Can't believe I was both guitarist and SINGER!!! :lol:

I think Counterparts is their most underrated disc. Love it! Cold Fire, Animate, Nobody's Hero, Stick It Out, etc. Actually that 3 disc run Presto, Roll The Bones and Counterparts was a great series of discs. I saw them on each of those tours (plus 2 other times) - AMAZING! :thumbsup:

I think Roll the bones is very underrated. Presto has some amazing songs but it sounds a bit too 80's at times, Counterpart is good but not one of my favourite. Test for echoes is underrated too, the song Resist is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool! I started this thread when I used to visit this place a bit more frequently. Glad to see it is still alive!! Looking forward to new Rush in 2010.

Yep, looking forward to them getting out and playing live again too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was huge into Rush, just before developing the taste for Led Zeppelin. Like many, I love all their studio stuff up through "Moving Pictures" then lost interest as they headed into their synth era.

I too really like "All the World's a Stage" but also definitely got into their second live album, "Exit...Stage Left" from the "Moving Pictures" tour. For me, those two capture Rush excellently.

Rush is one of the few bands that can compete with Zeppelin in terms of talent. It took me awhile to get used to Geddy's voice, but now they're one of my favorite bands. Peart is a monster.

Edited by MMAharaja

• 2 months later...

Nevermind. It was 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago. I confounded things :bagoverhead:

(I remembered the title had numbers in it, so I supposed it was Rush)

Edited by zdr

• 6 months later...

RUSH's 'Moving Pictures' Album Being Remixed In 5.1 Surround Sound

Canadian producer/engineer Richard Chycki — who is known for his work with AEROSMITH and OUR LADY PEACE, and who teamed up with Nick Raskulinecz (RUSH, DEATH ANGEL, STONE SOUR) on RUSH's last studio album, 2007's "Snakes & Arrows" — has been in the studio for the past month working on a 5.1 Surround Sound remix of RUSH's classic 1981 album "Moving Pictures". He writes on his official blog, "I finished tweaks on 'Red Barchetta' [on February 3]. It really was an amazing experience to spread the original tracks of such a classic CD into the 3D word of surround. (The car speeds off, goes behind and banks a sharp right in rear, [by the way]). The listening experience is drastically enveloping and coupled with songs and performances that epitomize this band, it's definitely a great time to re-discover RUSH.

"After discussion with the band, the goal here was to pay serious homage to the production of the era so a considerable amount of time was spent researching and working through effects, etc. that matched the original but would fare well in the 5.1 world. And, of course, placement was also a critical issue. I'm pleased with the results and [RUSH guitarist] Alex Lifeson was pretty blown away when he came in to listen to the finals."

RUSH's current "Time Machine Tour" is an evening with the band, where they perform their classics, give a taste of the future — and for the first time ever — feature the "Moving Pictures" album live in its entirety.

Released in 1981, "Moving Pictures" was RUSH's most successful album, certified four-times platinum and features some of the band's most well known songs and perennial radio favourites "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight" and the Grammy-nominated instrumental "YYZ".

• 2 months later...

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2011/04/15/entertainment/srv0000011410005.txt

Time Machine

Published: Friday, April 15, 2011

Making a new album is what inspired Rush to hit the road in 2010 and continue into this year.

"We've never come off tour and then gone straight into the studio when we're in top playing form," explained guitarist Alex Lifeson, noting that the Canadian trio had already started working on the forthcoming "Clockwork Angels" with producer Nick Raskulinecz before it added the live dates to the mix.

"We usually finish a tour and then we take some time off and we slowly get back into writing and then into the studio, recording. So rather than being attached to this whole big project at once, to do it piecemeal is actually a lot of fun."

But while Rush has a couple of new songs, "Caravan" and "BU2B," to play for its fans, the real lure of the Time Machine Tour is that the group is playing its 1981 album "Moving Pictures" in its entirety, celebrating the 30th anniversary of its top-selling release and its enduring hit single, "Tom Sawyer."

Lifeson, who co-founded Rush 43 years ago in Toronto with singer-bassist-keyboardist Geddy Lee, credits Neil Peart, Rush's drummer and lyricist since 1974, with the "Moving Pictures" idea. "He'd been hearing about some bands, specifically Steely Dan, who were doing different albums on different nights," the guitarist notes. "He thought that was a great idea. "

Though Rush has had various moments in the commercial rock spotlight during its career, "Moving Pictures" does represent the pinnacle. The album hit No. 1 in Rush's homeland and No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart, and it's certified quadruple platinum in both the U.S. and Canada. "Tom Sawyer" — which was famously "covered" on the cartoon "South Park" — and "Limelight" both appeared in the Billboard Hot 100, while the instrumental track "YYZ" was nominated for a Grammy Award.

A special anniversary edition of the album, with video bonus material, was recently released.

"That (album) took us up to the next level," says Lifeson (née Zivojinovich), 57. "After the release of that album, we were headlining everywhere we were going, and our audiences increased by a large percentage. It just gave us that much of a push forward."

Amidst the trips through its past, however — which included a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and lifetime achievement awards from Billboard and Classic Rock magazines in 2010 — Rush is also focused on the future and "Clockwork Angels." He says "Caravan" and "BU2B" are "pretty heavy indications of where the record's going," but he adds that "there are a lot of different tonalities and soundscapes in the material we've written so far" that will be showcased on the album, Rush's first of new material since 2007's "Snakes & Arrows."

Rush performs at 7:30 p.m. April 17 at The Palace, Lapeer Road at Interstate 75, Auburn Hills. Tickets are $50.50-$126. Call (248) 377-0100 or visit www.palacenet.com.