Out On The Town With Jimmy Page

ZepRex,

Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: It sounds fantastic - was it a café and shopping mall in the Kensington area?

I am delighted at how he responded to you and your family on both occasions. I have usually heard that he is very pleasant to fans. I think he must get annoyed when he is trying to shop or look around the film poster sales like everyone else. Again, as I have said before, it also comes down to how you approach the person. Manners count for a lot.

The cafe was in the Kensington area, the shopping mall was in West London. We tried our best to have good manners. It was definetely good that we had time to calm down before we approached him and I think that's why he was so nice. I mean, if we hadn't been good people he wouldn't have introduced his son to us. He is very protective of his privacy and giving away your sons' identity really is a sign of confidence if you ask me. He felt that we genuinely appreciated and respected him. Over the years he grew to distinguish between genuine fans and autograph hunters.

Thank you so much for sharing! That's even cooler that he introduced his son.

Do you remember which one? He has two.

It does not surprise me. People have always said how nice he generally is. :)

Jimmy didn't say his son's name, but judging by the age it must have been Ashen. He must have been something like 13 years old.

I don't normally share the story of my meetings with Jimmy cause you get accused of lying quite quickly and I don't want my memories tarnished by feelings of envy from people, but you guys are awesome so I just had to shrae it with you. Maybe through my story others pluck up the courage too to just respect him and approach him when they have the chance. Whatever you do: Don't jump on him. Don't scream at him. Just try to be calm and he will be as sweet as a nut.

The cafe was in the Kensington area, the shopping mall was in West London. We tried our best to have good manners. It was definetely good that we had time to calm down before we approached him and I think that's why he was so nice. I mean, if we hadn't been good people he wouldn't have introduced his son to us. He is very protective of his privacy and giving away your sons' identity really is a sign of confidence if you ask me. He felt that we genuinely appreciated and respected him. Over the years he grew to distinguish between genuine fans and autograph hunters.

Jimmy didn't say his son's name, but judging by the age it must have been Ashen. He must have been something like 13 years old.

I don't normally share the story of my meetings with Jimmy cause you get accused of lying quite quickly and I don't want my memories tarnished by feelings of envy from people, but you guys are awesome so I just had to shrae it with you. Maybe through my story others pluck up the courage too to just respect him and approach him when they have the chance. Whatever you do: Don't jump on him. Don't scream at him. Just try to be calm and he will be as sweet as a nut.

I understand your concerns very much. I would feel the same. That sounds right about Ashen. .:) Thank you so much again for your story. I would love to see a picture too sometime. I think I would too afraid to ask for a picture, maybe talk a couple of minuetes.

The lad's name is definitely Ashen then? I thought it was Asher Page, which is such a great name IMO - superb, as JP would say.

"You know, we kinda thought that he would say hi and go but he paid and sat down at our table and we had a good chat..." Oh my. What a lovely man, so classy.

The lad's name is definitely Ashen then? I thought it was Asher Page, which is such a great name IMO - superb, as JP would say.

"You know, we kinda thought that he would say hi and go but he paid and sat down at our table and we had a good chat..." Oh my. What a lovely man, so classy.

Yes it's Ashen.

This is really interesting. ZepRex may I ask you a few questions?

1) How old is your mother?

2) Is she British?

3) Does she regularly frequent the cafe where you ran into Jimmy Page?

4) How old are you and your brother?

I know I'm lucky kenog. My pic with Jimmy is framed on my wall now^^

The first time we met him was in a cafe where he was alone on Friday 13th July and the second time in a shopping mall with his son a day later, both times in London. He was absolutely charming as my mum approached him after he had finished his lunch (neither my bro nor me had the guts to go up to him). You know, we kinda thought that he would say hi and go but he paid and sat down at our table and we had a good chat..well, mostly my brother with him..the convo ended with Jimmy asking if my brother wanted a picture. he said yes of course and after they had finished I plucked up the courage to ask for a photograph too (in a public cafe, that must have looked great^^)..but I had forgotten all about the people surrounding me^^ we said our goodbyes and he walked out and that was it..thinking about it now is very very surreal. as I said, the second time was a day later in a shopping mall where he saw us first and he came up and said hi, introduced his son, shook our hands and vanished again cause he was in some kind of hurry.

that was it really..nothing too interesting but still memorable days in our lives..

ZepRex, what a great experience and many thanks for sharing your 2 meetings with Jimmy Page himself. How surreal that must have been. Seems you approached the whole meeting in the right way, by showing him much respect and giving him his privacy. Too many creeps and weirdos around today. Never reach into a pocket in a meeting like this as someone of Jimmy's stature might not now if you have a weapon or what you might due. That's just common sense.

Well done ZepRex and Kudos! :toast::yourock:

Yeah, I used it to frame this article about Led Zeppelin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/what-is-so-great-about-le_b_3323216.html

Good article and well written. Enjoyed the read! You're a lot younger than I thought you were as most Zep fans are a bit older now. Just judging from the majority of posters here, but lot of younger ones too. Always room for the young ones too. Pretty cool to stand in front of his house. Being in the USA, I have yet to see his house, but have seen firsthand the apartment building used for the cover of PG. That was pretty cool and looked a bit different than I thought as it had been cleaned up or powerwashed over the years.

So Cookie or James (what do you prefer?), what shirt is that you're wearing in front of Jimmy's digs? Is that Sid Vicious?

:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Good article and well written. Enjoyed the read! You're a lot younger than I thought you were as most Zep fans are a bit older now. Just judging from the majority of posters here, but lot of younger ones too. Always room for the young ones too. Pretty cool to stand in front of his house. Being in the USA, I have yet to see his house, but have seen firsthand the apartment building used for the cover of PG. That was pretty cool and looked a bit different than I thought as it had been cleaned up or powerwashed over the years.

So Cookie or James (what do you prefer?), what shirt is that you're wearing in front of Jimmy's digs? Is that Sid Vicious?

Thanks SuperDave! Gosh, yes, I was 18 at the time. 80% of the people who interact with the Led Zeppelin Twitter account I run are very young, that really surprised me. It's the same with the Led Zeppelin community on Reddit, a lot of people my age. It's actually rather comforting to see a new generation of fans.

I don't mind, Cookie or James is fine. That is a Sid Vicious shirt that says 'You can't arrest me, I'm a rockstar' - rather awkward considering whose house I was standing outside. As you can guess, the visit wasn't planned!

Disco Duck

It is difficult to see the relevance of these questions. You maybe want to explain to ZepRex why you want to know such personal information about her and her family.

I think it must have been obvious to Jimmy that this was a family group that he was safe with.

2) Is she British?

Disco Duck

It is difficult to see the relevance of these questions. You maybe want to explain to ZepRex why you want to know such personal information about her and her family.

I think it must have been obvious to Jimmy that this was a family group that he was safe with.

You know how you can see people for months, even years, who live in your neighborhood, or shop at the same supermarket without ever speaking to them? You don't know who they are but you recognize their faces. I was wondering if ZepRex's mother was one of those people to Jimmy Page. Someone he had seen around as he went about his routine. I also wondered if ZepRex's mother was old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin and Page in their heyday. If so, Page may have been touched that she still recognized and appreciated him after all these years.

ZepRex, I apologize if my questions made you uncomfortable.

I don't know if your questions would make ZepRex fell uncomfortable - possibly not, but perhaps it would have been better to ask these questions by private message, for the avoidance of doubt. Having given your explanation, I can understand where you are coming from. :peace:

My point about ZepRex and her family being people Jimmy would feel safe with is borne out by an item in today's UK Sun newspaper which reports that Wimbledon winner, Andy Murray was assaulted (accidentally, we are told) by a professional autograph hunter outside Nobu restaurant. Here's an excerpt below:-

"...WIMBLEDON champ Andy Murray winces in pain as he is accidentally whacked in the face by a professional autograph collector.

Andy suffered a sore eye after Ifran Ahmed jabbed a programme for him to sign as he left London’s posh Nobu restaurant with girlfriend Kim Sears.

Andy — the first British man to win Wimbledon for 77 years — was being ushered through well-wishers when a magazine called Winning Serve struck the left side of his face.

Andy, 26, recoiled in agony and was rubbing his eye as he left in a car. It later emerged the man with the programme was autograph collector Ahmed who sells various mementoes online.

He created an eBay business flogging sporting autographs more than ten years ago. It currently lists an F1 helmet signed by several top drivers for £5,000 and a giant tennis ball signed by Murray and Novak Djokovic for £500.

There is also a guitar autographed by Rolling Stone Keith Richards for £750.

Ahmed has also posted pictures on his Twitter account posing with stars such as Olympic diver Tom Daley, Tour de France winner and London 2012 gold medallist Sir Bradley Wiggins and wrestler Hulk Hogan.

On his TwitPic profile, he boasts: “My business is selling autographs and memorabilia. I also obtain autographs.

“So I am gonna share my experiences with you of meeting these guys.”

A source said: “Andy doesn’t mind the attention from well-wishers, but getting hit in the face for the sake of an autograph is a bit much. He and Kim are starting to feel the pressures of big fame.”

It is understood Ahmed is not being charged with any offence.

After the mishap, Andy — who comes from Dunblane but lives in Oxshott, Surrey — and Kim moved on to London’s Rose Club where he racked up a £10,000 bar bill.

Andy and friends ordered Moet & Chandon champagne, a six litre bottle of Ciroc vodka and shots — but Kim left the booze alone."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5005988/Andy-Murray-eye.html#ixzz2YeHZWt9M

You know how you can see people for months, even years, who live in your neighborhood, or shop at the same supermarket without ever speaking to them? You don't know who they are but you recognize their faces. I was wondering if ZepRex's mother was one of those people to Jimmy Page. Someone he had seen around as he went about his routine. I also wondered if ZepRex's mother was old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin and Page in their heyday. If so, Page may have been touched that she still recognized and appreciated him after all these years.

ZepRex, I apologize if my questions made you uncomfortable.

2) Is she British?

well, your questions are a little private to be answered on a public forum, but I wouldn't answer them in detail in private too, so this is all you're gonna get: my mother would be old enough to have seen them, but she never did. No, this was the first time we've ever been there and we don't live in Jimmy's neighbourhood, we never saw him before the day that we met him. The last question will not be answered as that would breach my brother's privacy, let's just say that we were born long after the Zeppelin hey day.

For all those who want to see the picture: soz guys, this picture is very private to me and I don't want it floating around on the net and being copied by everyone

I hope that satisfies you :peace:

well, your questions are a little private to be answered on a public forum, but I wouldn't answer them in detail in private too, so this is all you're gonna get: my mother would be old enough to have seen them, but she never did. No, this was the first time we've ever been there and we don't live in Jimmy's neighbourhood, we never saw him before the day that we met him. The last question will not be answered as that would breach my brother's privacy, let's just say that we were born long after the Zeppelin hey day.

For all those who want to see the picture: soz guys, this picture is very private to me and I don't want it floating around on the net and being copied by everyone

No problem. I'm glad your mother got to meet one of her favorite rock stars and that your family had such a memorable encounter with Mr. Page.

It is almost laughable that a member is defending their own privacy (though it certainly is understandable!), yet, as a few members have already noted, this thread's purpose is basically to stalk and invade Page's privacy. It is very hard to not see the hypocrisy here.

Totally understandable, and commendable! Thanks for the great story...

It is almost laughable that a member is defending their own privacy (though it certainly is understandable!), yet, as a few members have already noted, this thread's purpose is basically to stalk and invade Page's privacy. It is very hard to not see the hypocrisy here.

'this thread's purpose is basically to stalk'

Hardly, did you read the first page? Thought not. I don't appreciate being called a stalker. If it's reported online, or shared publicly, I'll share it here. Check what 'stalker' means before you chuck it around.

'invade Page's privacy'

Again, check what is and isn't shared.

And as for hypocrisy, that's yet unfair charge to level here.

Thanks SuperDave! Gosh, yes, I was 18 at the time. 80% of the people who interact with the Led Zeppelin Twitter account I run are very young, that really surprised me. It's the same with the Led Zeppelin community on Reddit, a lot of people my age. It's actually rather comforting to see a new generation of fans.

I don't mind, Cookie or James is fine. That is a Sid Vicious shirt that says 'You can't arrest me, I'm a rockstar' - rather awkward considering whose house I was standing outside. As you can guess, the visit wasn't planned!

Good work. Perhaps, you are helping to get some of the younger crowd into Zeppelin. Always appreciate what you contribute here as you provide a wealth of information. Also, helps residing in the London area.

When was that photo taken out of curiosity of you in front of JP's house?

Good work. Perhaps, you are helping to get some of the younger crowd into Zeppelin. Always appreciate what you contribute here as you provide a wealth of information. Also, helps residing in the London area.

When was that photo taken out of curiosity of you in front of JP's house?

I hope so, that would be great if I introduced people to Led Zeppelin. Thank you :)

That photo was taken in the Summer of 2012. I forget the exact date. I remember that day well, we went to the Damien Hirst retrospective at the Tate Modern (and I got covered in butterflies) and I met some people at Google Campus and found a career for myself.

I hope so, that would be great if I introduced people to Led Zeppelin. Thank you :)

That photo was taken in the Summer of 2012. I forget the exact date. I remember that day well, we went to the Damien Hirst retrospective at the Tate Modern (and I got covered in butterflies) and I met some people at Google Campus and found a career for myself.

Good for you James. Great way to network! Hope it works out for you, build a great career for yourself with something you really enjoy. It seems you like writing and I think you're quite good at it. Keep on with the Networking and hopefully it will lead to something amazing for you. Even better if it was Zep related. Perhaps, even writing a phenomenal book on them one day. Who knows! Best of luck!

Found this conversation going on on Twitter:-

Alisha Prince@alishaprince 22h

I saw jimmy page coming out of the notting hill book exchange shop today. I don't usually recognise famous people but I did recognise him.

Alisha Prince @alishaprince 22h

They have some great books . And comics . In fact I have sold them books Before. He could have bought a book that was mine! That'd be nice.

1. Alex @Alex_Vincent_ 22h
  2. @alishaprince did you see what he bought?
  1. @Alex_Vincent_ nah fraid not. He was coming out of the shop. wearing a black jacket. With a younger man. And that's all I know.

Found this conversation going on on Twitter:-

Alisha Prince‏@alishaprince 22h

I saw jimmy page coming out of the notting hill book exchange shop today. I don't usually recognise famous people but I did recognise him.

Alisha Prince ‏@alishaprince 22h

They have some great books . And comics . In fact I have sold them books Before. He could have bought a book that was mine! That'd be nice.

1. Alex ‏@Alex_Vincent_ 22h
  2. @alishaprince did you see what he bought?
  1. @Alex_Vincent_ nah fraid not. He was coming out of the shop. wearing a black jacket. With a younger man. And that's all I know.

Apparently it was Ross, it's also a vinyl shop, they were going record shopping (again)

Bet Ross is flattered to be described as "a younger man". Do you not think that it could be connected to the comic convention of last week?

Apparently it was Ross, it's also a vinyl shop, they were going record shopping (again)

Archived