Jimmys' new favorite band - Rival Sons

feather in the wind

I saw them in London earlier this year. Fantastic live performance - really powerful concert.

I agree the music borrows from Zep - and from others too. The singer i think borrows from Jim Morrison - partly in looks, and partly in an astonishingly magnetic stage presence. Mesmerising to watch, powerful connection with the crowd, and an effortless, strong soulful voice. But he does seem to draw all the attention from the rest of the band - and the way they all played when i saw them, that was a shame.

The guy obviously would have a bit of an ego on him, so possibly not that nice in person ! On the other hand, the drummer seemed fun ...

I totally recommend seeing them live !

Can you expound on that Cookie or are you too much of a gentleman?

I hate Rival Sons. Dull, formulaic music, and their frontman is, and I quote, 'the nastiest man I've had the displeasure of meeting'.

I'm not a fan of the soul patch, but he is rather cute:

947262_382523551859148_603090439_n.jpg

The music press was raving about them last year.

great example of chumming the water. Anytime I have learned about a band or artist that is potent has been from a friend. Not once from a rag or industry spew. Music marketing tends to be putting turds in a box with edgy print, wrap and bows with some sort of free or limited edition drivel. It still smells and most people only open the box once or twice and its discarded.

NO has so many local artists that are authentic. Would take most any of them over what is available on iTunes.

I hate Rival Sons. Dull, formulaic music, and their frontman is, and I quote, 'the nastiest man I've had the displeasure of meeting'.

I like St. Jude, pleased it's not just me that doesn't 'get' Rival Sons. The music press was raving about them last year.

From what little I have heard of Saint Jude they are hardly sound original (they sound like The Black Crowes who themselves were hardly paragons of originality although they are one of my favourite bands)

I see all contemporary rock music being formulaic; not sure if one can be original now with all that has come before. It sounds like you just have something against Rival Son's lead singer:P

From what little I have heard of Saint Jude they are hardly sound original (they sound like The Black Crowes who themselves were hardly paragons of originality although they are one of my favourite bands)

I see all contemporary rock music being formulaic; not sure if one can be original now with all that has come before. It sounds like you just have something against Rival Son's lead singer:P

Yeah, never said they are original. They just sound more exciting to me.

great example of chumming the water. Anytime I have learned about a band or artist that is potent has been from a friend. Not once from a rag or industry spew. Music marketing tends to be putting turds in a box with edgy print, wrap and bows with some sort of free or limited edition drivel. It still smells and most people only open the box once or twice and its discarded.

NO has so many local artists that are authentic. Would take most any of them over what is available on iTunes.

One would think that Jimmy Page has been around long enough to be able to tell the wheat from the chaff. Different strokes for different folks perhaps.

One would think that Jimmy Page has been around long enough to be able to tell the wheat from the chaff. Different strokes for different folks perhaps.

This is true. Clearly Rival Sons are not reinventing the wheel or likely to change the world, but if you listen to them play live, they are obviously talented musicians with a big Zeppelin flavour (especially the drummer) so you can see why Jimmy approves and you would think most Zep fans would at least appreciate some of their stuff on a certain level, too.

I like St. Jude, pleased it's not just me that doesn't 'get' Rival Sons. The music press was raving about them last year.

For the music media, Rival Sons are perhaps their flavor of the month I suppose. Then it will be on to the next big thing. Most without any staying power.

Archived