Presence cover inspiration

I don't know if this has ever shown up here, I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I posted this on a facebook site a few weeks ago but figured I should post it here as well.

This is what I assume to be the inspiration for the "Presence" cover, from the August 1956 edition of National Geographic. This photo appeared on page 209 in an article titled "Boom on San Francisco Bay." I found it many years ago while flipping through old magazines.

Well, are you talking about the photos used as backdrops or the inspiration for the black obelisk? Obviously, the black monolith in Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" was a main inspiration for the Presence artwork.

Well, are you talking about the photos used as backdrops or the inspiration for the black obelisk? Obviously, the black monolith in Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" was a main inspiration for the Presence artwork.

I wonder how long that had been a concept for cover art (the Obelisk & 2001 Space Odyssey). 2001 came out when? 1968... Maybe the idea was kicked around for previous album art & the music that wound up on Presence just fit.

I wonder how long that had been a concept for cover art (the Obelisk & 2001 Space Odyssey). 2001 came out when? 1968... Maybe the idea was kicked around for previous album art & the music that wound up on Presence just fit.

First of all, great find Super Slinky! Catchy name, too!!! Now as far as what I quoted above, it's been said by Jimmy that whoever the person was whose job it was to create the album artwork mentioned to Jimmy that, to him, Zeppelin always had a presence. So I don't believe that the music "fit" the theme or idea - that was just a symbol for the band themselves. Thus the black object appearing in all of those photos...

Now slightly off topic, but staying on topic since we are discussing Presence, but isn't the little girl on the back the same little girl from Houses?

Led_Zeppelin_-_Presence-inside.jpg

First of all, great find Super Slinky! Catchy name, too!!!

Now slightly off topic, but staying on topic since we are discussing Presence, but isn't the little girl on the back the same little girl from Houses?

I agree. Super Slinky is a catchy name.

Posted 06/14/2012 at 11:31am | by Damian Fanelli

HouseOfHolyKids.jpg

http://www.guitarworld.com/see-houses-holy-album-cover-child-models-39-years-later

TheFW recently tracked down the kids who appeared on the cover of Led Zeppelin's classic 1973 album, Houses of the Holy.

You remember those kids -- they're very blonde and very naked, and they're climbing an odd-looking portion of the Giant’s Causeway in Northern Ireland.

These days, Samantha Gates is 46 and has a daughter named Tallulah. Her younger brother, Stefan, who also appeared on the cover, is a celebrity chef in the UK. He hosts BBC2′s Cooking in the Danger Zone and used to host Eating Insects with Stefan Gates.

Oddly enough, Stefan hadn't even heard the album until 2010.

The cover art was inspired by the ending of Childhood’s End, a novel by Arthur C. Clarke. It featured several hundred naked children roaming the earth. To create the feel of a large group of children, the Gates kids were photographed in black and white and multi-printed to create 11 children on the cover.

The photos were shot by Aubrey Powell.

I don't know if this has ever shown up here, I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I posted this on a facebook site a few weeks ago but figured I should post it here as well.

This is what I assume to be the inspiration for the "Presence" cover, from the August 1956 edition of National Geographic. This photo appeared on page 209 in an article titled "Boom on San Francisco Bay." I found it many years ago while flipping through old magazines.

I'm fairly sure that pic has been here before, long time ago though.

Thanks for the earworm, Slinky, super slinky,

Boomers double ball ends
It'll faze, it'll flange, it'll fuzz
It's fast it's flexible
Just feel those frets
A simulated cone filter
For steroizing a mono source
It's got scaled down Strat style body
With a feel of a Les Paul
Deep cutaways and no pick guard
And a couple of humbuckers
Full shred
Stiff neck brass nut and an ebony finger board
Ball's Deluxe!

• 2 weeks later...

here's another thing i found a long time ago, this sketch was in a book of dali paintings and sketches. i have the book somewhere but can't find it right now, this was a copy i made and stuck inside the "presence" lp. once again, apologies if this has been posted before, i haven't seen it when i search.

img291.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived