FORUM MAINTENANCE

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Looks fab! Worth the wait! (though I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms lol)

Love the clean new look, colours, spacing, new background photo, and cool prominent Zep font for each thread.

One observation is that quotes in responses do not yet show up, so one cannot tell what quote is from whom and where the response begins. Another is that on the phone version, there are stars next to some topics, and also there's no option to go back to a previous page (on the PC there's the 'home--main forum--ramble on...' tab that you could choose to go to directly, rather than having to go back several times, or to the main site to then go back to general forum. I know there are still things to be ironed out, but just some forum feedback.

On my phone now, and it looks almost the same as it does on the PC. With the previous configuration you could switch to the 'full version', but this one is WAY easier on the eyes and seems easier to  navigate.

Very positive change overall, glad it's back!!

For the most part, quotes in old posts should be working. The database is still rebuilding so that will cause some issues in the meantime.

I've been doing more work on the overall design since yesterday. I think the mobile version is ok now.  You're getting a simplified version for Mobile, but still retains some of the new design elements.

On the PC, the quote ID does show up.

What's bugging me is 2 things:

1 ) no Go To Top button

B )  Going to New Content or using the browser back button after reading a thread gives me a message that I can't "search" for another 45 seconds.  The only way out of that is to click on the Home button, but that doesn't take me to new content.

I like the layout - it's easier on my old eyes :) 

"Go to top" button is now gone, but I'll look into it.

New content waiting period should be ok now.

Just noticed the Preview Reply option is gone.
Is that final, or something else waiting to be re-integrated?

Preview is gone, but this Post window is more dynamic now, so as soon as you drag & drop an image, it appears. When pasting a link to Youtube etc, it quickly loads up into the play window.

So, how does one post youtube videos with the new layout?

Easy - just copy/paste the link shown in the the Youtube address bar or the "Share" link. As soon as you paste it & hit enter, the video preview loads up.(Same with Vimeo etc. Just paste the link the it converts to a play window).

Z

There's a lot of "drap & drop" functions now. For example, the above jpg is a simple drag & drop from my desktop into the reply window and... voila.

test:

Ha! Yet there it is, oh the ironing :D

Quotes are appearing now in the new format, but old quotes before the change still do not appear.

Still on the phone, and trying to get the cursor to go where it should is challenging. Once I press enter for spacing, that seems to lock in the format and the spacing can't be removed. Also, it's great that I can now insert smilies, but even when they're put at the end of a sentence, they jump to the beginning of it. I'm writing in Word and pasting here for ease of use.

On a positive note, it's great that users are now listed, and the new profile section looks great. I love seeing user names in the Zep font! Hopefully the friends list will return, that was a nice feature. Glad that the pm's are still there.

Looks like more features are continuing to appear after the update. Thanks to all who are putting in the hard work to make it happen. 

re: using Word  -  When typing in Word and pasting here, it might be retaining some of the formatting which is harder to remove afterwards.

Should be some new features in the Profile now as well.

Lots to check out, thank you Sam for your efforts to keep this site in tip top shape! There will be lots of features to learn (and relearn!).  I like the Activity Stream feature (don't remember having that before).  It's even better than New Content to quickly scroll through the posts without having to go to each thread.  The online user list is a little odd, like Big Brother watching (and printing) what everyone is doing.  ;) 

Thanks again for the upgrade, change is good for us all! 

:)

Going to take a while to get use to this.

Yeah I agree.  Every time someone changes a website, I hate it.  Then in a month or so, I'm fine with it and if I see the old version, somehow it looks REALLY old to me.  But for now, the new forum....everything is way too big, too clunky, I don't like the Kashmir font stuff. 

But I am sure I will get used to it.

For the most part, quotes in old posts should be working. The database is still rebuilding so that will cause some issues in the meantime.

I've been doing more work on the overall design since yesterday. I think the mobile version is ok now.  You're getting a simplified version for Mobile, but still retains some of the new design elements.

re: using Word  -  When typing in Word and pasting here, it might be retaining some of the formatting which is harder to remove afterwards.

Should be some new features in the Profile now as well.

Quotes working - check.

Can log in and out on Mobile - check.

New tab on mobile to go to previous thread clusters - check.

New profile features - check.

As for using Word on the phone (on laptop now), that was because the cursor on the phone version kept jumping out of place of where I wanted to type. I'll give it another whirl.

This mobile version is far better to look at and use than it's previous version, truly, and I didn't mind the previous one. I like that it's so close to the PC version, too.

Both are far more intuitive and have a more visually appealing, user friendly interface through and through. 

Top marks, Sam, thanks very much, I really appreciate it! :thumbsup::beer:

Edited by Patrycja

Lots to check out, thank you Sam for your efforts to keep this site in tip top shape! There will be lots of features to learn (and relearn!).  I like the Activity Stream feature (don't remember having that before).  It's even better than New Content to quickly scroll through the posts without having to go to each thread.  The online user list is a little odd, like Big Brother watching (and printing) what everyone is doing.  ;) 

Thanks again for the upgrade, change is good for us all! 

:)

lol the Online User list has been there the whole time peeps! 

:Dhe wandering cursor issue on the phone is no longer a problem when typing, but lol as is apparent, emoticons still wander to the beginning even if cursor is at the end-very minor, and only on the phone.

I LOVE the wine red bar at the bottom of each thread that takes you to the last page of it, and the search function is light years better than before.

And I could now use the B, I, U features on the phone as well-excellent! Far more user friendly.

Does anyone know how to change the color of your screen?  Like before?  I want mine to be like a Lavender.  Trying to find the settings?

Rick, I think you may be talking about changing the theme? If so, that feature is at the very bottom of the page (scroll way down until you can't scroll no more). There are 2 themes to choose from, try them both and see which you prefer.

Rick, I think you may be talking about changing the theme? If so, that feature is at the very bottom of the page (scroll way down until you can't scroll no more). There are 2 themes to choose from, try them both and see which you prefer.

Thanks Becky.  I saw that.  But last time there was a way to change the color to several choices as I recall?  If I remember correctly?  Big if

I am to be able to quote other members and post videos, now. Something I couldn't do from this computer, before - so that's a big improvement. Things do seem to lock up for long periods when I do this, however.

Is there a way to delete double posts, the edit feature doesn't have many options?

I am to be able to quote other members and post videos, now. Something I couldn't do from this computer, before - so that's a big improvement. Things do seem to lock up for long periods when I do this, however.

Is there a way to delete double posts, the edit feature doesn't have many options?

This. The edit button is irresistible, but a bit confusing now. If you just decide to quit a particular post and go back to start again, the old quote is still there, often twice  - quote in a quote, and then it's a hot mess :)

Also, is there a way to take out hotlinks? Thanks!

The formatting from articles when posting them here is consistent with the original, which makes things a whole lot easier for those slightly obsessed with them looking just right, double thanks!!

p.s. Cool new banner across the top :thumbsup:

Edited by Patrycja