led zeppelin and the osmonds?

sk8rat

I came across this story just now but I can't verify if it is true in its entirety. it claims the osmonds got on stage with led zeppelin during a show and they did stairway to heaven together. I found another sources from a few years ago that says they were using their sound equipment but that is it, there was no mention of them doing a song together.

The American band - which originally included Donny, Marie, Jimmy, Merrill, Jay, Alan and Wayne - say their pop group's clean image meant they weren't supposed to be friends with the 'Black Dog' rockers but, after they bumped into each other at a gig in London, they got on so well that Robert Plant invited them on stage to sing on their hit 'Stairway To Heaven'.

Jay Osmond, 60, exclusively told BANG Showbiz: “I remember we went in a day early because we were using Led Zepplin's sound equipment. And so we went in to watch them and those guys were so fun and cool.

“We went back stage and played frisbee with their kids and then they invited us to come up and play with them on 'Stair Way To Heaven'. And I'll never forget, The Osmonds and Led Zepplin on the same stage.

“It was just amazing; I am still amazed to this day.”

Jimmy quipped: “The manager didn't want it to happen you know.”

http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/music/osmonds-regret-led-zeppelin-friendship-1.1958974#.Vmt2zkorLIU

Hey 'sk8rat'. How's it goin'? Interesting thread. I always like hearing something fresh and new about the band. Thank you. I found something and I'll post the link, but I'll copy and paste the Zeppelin references in the post. Rock On, sk8rat! Have a great weekend. :thumbsup:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/228919/the-osmonds-meet-led-zeppelin-a-secret-history-of-mormon-heavy-metal/

The most direct evidence of Zep’s bearing on the Osmonds occurs on "Crazy Horses"’ album opener, "Hold Her Tight." Many note that the song’s bass line is a direct copping of "The Immigrant Song" from "Led Zeppelin III". That’s likely no coincidence. "Wayne really took to Jimmy Page," Merrill Osmond said. "He harnessed that energy and came up with the riff to ‘Hold Her Tight.’ That was the heaviest thing we ever wrote."

After "Crazy Horses", Led Zeppelin returned the affection. "When we were on tour in Europe, Led Zeppelin invited us on stage for one of their big events," Merrill recalls. "Later we hung out backstage and talked about how we really dug their entire music concept." Zep’s madman drummer John Bonham also brought his young son Jason to an Osmonds show and met with them afterward. "Yes, Dad did take me to see the Osmonds," Jason says. "They started with ‘Crazy Horses.’ They were on these wires and they came out across the audience back then, so Bon Jovi wasn’t the first guy to do it."

The Osmonds relished the validation, as Jimmy Osmond has said: "It is really cool for us to know that people from top groups like Led Zeppelin have raised their hands and said, ‘Isn’t that a great riff’ or ‘They really did have amazing musical talent’."

My first initial reaction is to laugh reading the above. I can't say if the above is 100 false or not.
Others on the board can likely confirm it. But..... I will say it sounds very very very foolish and fake.

Why would Led Zeppelin be staying at a hotel if they were doing a gig in London?

What L Z gig in London would the Osmond brother's be at and playing games with Led Zeppelin's
children - then proceed to take the stage for Stairway? If Donny and the gang are trying to imply they
were backstage at Earl's Court and then got on stage for Stairway or at Knebworth then haha at whoever
is writing that article. The jokes can write themselves.

Speaking of that. I can not picture the Osmond's 5 man matching leisure suit group on stage with Led Zeppelin
in ANY way. Let me guess they convinced Jimmy to break into One Bad Apple and Puppy Love after Stairway?

My first initial reaction is to laugh reading the above. 

Speaking of that. I can not picture the Osmond's 5 man matching leisure suit group on stage with Led Zeppelin
in ANY way. Let me guess they convinced Jimmy to break into One Bad Apple and Puppy Love after Stairway?

:hysterical:

How's it going, KellyGirl? Are we having fun yet, this weekend? I do hope so! :D Now, did anyone say that Led Zeppelin was staying at a hotel?

Sorry LOL I think my wine made me type the part about the hotel. No I kid.

Actually I googled and there was an article where the Osmond's also mentiond they
got invited backstage to Zep's hotel. I assumed it was when they did their 'special'
Stairway performance in London.
:shifty:

Now ewe better have enough wine to share with all of us. :lol: I won't object to the offer. If you're one step ahead of us, that's understandable. But it's not fair to hold back on that wine, KellyGirl. :)

I dunno when they split their stage with the Osmonds. But I can tell you, they had better teeth that Robert Plant. You could get blind over them pearly whites that the Osmonds had. I will give that to them.

Rock On KellyGirl. I've always liked your posts. :)

I came across this story just now but I can't verify if it is true in its entirety. it claims the osmonds got on stage with led zeppelin during a show and they did stairway to heaven together. I found another sources from a few years ago that says they were using their sound equipment but that is it, there was no mention of them doing a song together.

Never happened.

Never happened.

It may have never happened but at one of the shows that Led Zeppelin performed at Earl's Court in 1975, Robert Plant did name-check the Osmond's during one of his in-song banters (Plantations). 

In fact, and it could be a non-fact, I read that John Bonham took his family to see the Osmond's when they were playing a concert somewhere in London a few days or a few weeks after Led Zeppelins played at Earl's Court.  (I seem to remember reading that Jason Bonham was a fan of the Osmond's when he was a wee little lad).  

Steve, have you heard or read about this? 

• Administrators

The Osmonds were at an Earls Court gig, backstage and I recall hearing they also went to the after-party. In the Physical Graffiti Super Deluxe book, we used an Earls Court programme from the Bonham family, which if you look closely is autographed by the Osmonds, to Jason.

You don't say. I can't remember if it was a written article or video, but I swear Scarlet Page was
asked  something along the lines of meeting celebs back in the day through her dad. She said
she met the Osmond's or maybe it was just Donny and that was very exciting for her.

I guess you have to put your mind-set into a little kid in the early 70's. Osmond's were cheesy
family fun.

Oh yeah I can see Peter Grant nixing the idea of them onstage with Zeppelin.
:lol:

On 12/12/2015 at 6:16 AM, sam_webmaster said:

The Osmonds were at an Earls Court gig, backstage and I recall hearing they also went to the after-party.

In the Physical Graffiti Super Deluxe book, we used an Earls Court programme from the Bonham family, which if you look closely is autographed by the Osmonds, to Jason.

Do you know if maybe the Osmonds did join the band onstage for STH during this run, but, during a soundcheck possibly? Its obvious this never happened during an actual show but a soundcheck or rehearsal is plausible?

• Administrators

Do you know if maybe the Osmonds did join the band onstage for STH during this run, but, during a soundcheck possibly? Its obvious this never happened during an actual show but a soundcheck or rehearsal is plausible?

It's possible. I'll see if I can dig up anything.

• 2 years later...

For those who knock THE OSMONDS have never really listened.  You listened to Donny, Marie, Jimmy or Donny & Marie!

But The original OSMONDS were on track to become a very serious rock band. Most readers got a taste of The OSMONDS

with "Crazy horses", " Hold Her Tight", etc.. but sadly as the tweens began demanding Donny for his pretty looks upper management also recognized

where the money was, pushing the four original OSMONDS out of the spotlight.  Many don't know this but because radio stations stopped

playing THE OSMONDS  music, they were seriously considering changing their name, wearing full makeup, crazy outfits, etc. but when the offer

came for the Donny & Marie TV Show came, sadly THE OSMONDS were forced to put their rock & roll dreams away.

Many don't realize that Wayne Osmond was closely compared to Jimmy Page.  Take a close look at the Guitar legends  poster, not only did their playing

sound comparable they even look alike!  Jay Osmond was voted as one of the top drummers in the industry and Mike Curb (former president of MGM

Records) recently stated that Merrill Osmond has the best voice in Rock & Roll.  I spoke with some of THE OSMONDS regarding the famous mystery,

did The OSMONDS join Led-Zeppelin on stage??   The answer is , Yes!  Jay Osmond played the bongos while the remainder of THE OSMONDS joined

on the vocals. Of the original Osmonds, sadly Alan Osmond was forced to retire due to MS and after the OSMONDS 50th Anniversary World Tour, Wayne

suffered health issues and retired.  Merrill Osmond & Jay Osmond  continue to carry on THE OSMONDS tradition and now in their 60th year of show business

recently went into the studio and recorded a new Rock album titled "VINTAGE" the way they wanted and  yes, it really does rock!   You can purchase a copy at 

merrillosmond.com  @ to hear the songs that the stations refused to air in the 70's are now being played on the air around the world online at myBNR.com

every 4th Thursday thru Sunday on THE OSMOND HOUR.  It's a shame that Alan and Wayne can no longer perform but it would still be cool to have Merrill

and Jay Osmond reunite with Led-Zeppelin one more time.

Guitar Legends.jpg

2 hours ago, Osbro said:

I spoke with some of THE OSMONDS regarding the famous mystery, did The OSMONDS join Led-Zeppelin on stage??   The answer is , Yes!  Jay Osmond played the bongos while the remainder of THE OSMONDS joined on the vocals. 

A single post newbie with no proof, what's not to believe?

3 hours ago, Osbro said:

For those who knock THE OSMONDS have never really listened.

I never knock people for their tastes but Im already in a foul mood so beat it troll and take your Osmonds toys and posters and catch the dam short bus out of town. . 

Oh and PS FWIW Led Zeppelin would have NEVER been caught dead putting that crap on a bill let alone on stage with them. . 

Archived