Howard Stern Exposes Led Zeppelin As A Farce

jpj4eva-jb-rip

Just thought some of you fans might wanna check out this Howard Stern Segmant, where he and some asshole try to expose zep as 'the greatest cover band of all time'.

Quite never wrecking...Even artie a big zep fan, get's turned.

The audio is available for download here if you wish...

DOWNLOAD

it's a comedy radio talk show, they make fun of and knock everyone, including each other......I remember listening to this segment when it aired and sort of getting pissed at first, but then realizing what this show is all about....no need to get in a twist about it

i remember listening to Howard when he first started in NYC, WNBC and then "K-Rock"in the 80s, and he always seemed like quite a big Zeppelin fan himself. He'd always praise them when ever their name came up. With that kind of show, everything's fair game to insult.

it's a comedy radio talk show, they make fun of and knock everyone, including each other......I remember listening to this segment when it aired and sort of getting pissed at first, but then realizing what this show is all about....no need to get in a twist about it

Stern is vastly overrated, tasteless, juvenile, never funny and never entertaining. His success perfectly exemplifies the average American: a half-witted simpleton who's easily amused by boob jokes.

(And I thought all this before I read this nonsense about Zeppelin. I've nothing against a good joke -- hell, my whole last book contains humor -- but I've never liked this jerk. I'd like to hear a song he's written. C'mon, Howard. Play us some of your music.)

They started out as a cover band... Look at their first album:

- "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" originally by Anne Bredon

- "You Shook Me" was originally a Willie Dixon song

- "Dazed and Confused" was originally by Jake Holmes ("I'm Confused"), but arranged by Page and the drummer of the Yardbirds, including some lyric changes

- "Black Mountain Side" is a traditional piece (?) but was played by Anne Briggs, who also taught it to Bert Jansch, called "Black Waterside"

- "Communication Breakdown" is considered similar to Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown"

- "I Can't Quit You Baby" was also originally a Willie Dixon tune...

- "How Many More Times" has elements of various blues songs but is mostly similar to Howlin' Wolf's "How Many More Years"...

Second album has a few "covers" as well:

- "Whole Lotta Love" is pretty much Muddy Waters' "You Need Love" (also by Willie Dixon) but with slightly different lyrics...

- "The Lemon Song" takes a lot from Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor"

- The beginning of "Bring It On Home" is identical to Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring It On Home," (written by Dixon) although as soon as that main riff kicks in it's a Page/Plant original...

On the third album, "Gallows Pole" is a traditional song "Gallis Pole", but arranged by Page... And Hat's Off has pieces of "Shake 'em on Down" by Bukka White and "Lone Wolf Blues" by Oscar Woods...

On the fourth album, "When The Levee Breaks" was originally a Memphis Minnie song...

On Physical Graffiti, "In My Time of Dying" was previously recorded by Bob Dylan and originally by Blind Willie Johnson. "Boogie With Stu" is very similar to Ritchie Valenz's "Ooh! My Head"

But I think the bulk of their released material is original and pretty damned good, anyway...

But of course, Stern was just poking fun anyway... But there is some truth to what he's proposing...

I'll have you know Albert Einstein liked a good fart joke!

Anyone who does'nt have a bit of kid in them is taking life a bit too seriously. I for one will be telling the hospice worker next to my death bed to pull my finger! :P

My father, who died last Sept....and had multiple doctorate degrees and was a Dean at the University of Maryland for 25 yrs and Academic planner for the Md State Board For Higher Education.....was asked by a home nurse if he had a stool that day.......his reply was, "No but I had one yesterday that could count for two!" Good ol' Dad. I miss that man. He loved a juvenile humor! ;)

Howard Stern has every right to call them a cover band 'cause to be honest, I think that's what they are. They did more cover songs a lot more than originals.

They wrote STH, KAS, OTHAFA......, So many many great songs that this idea baffels me. Their interpitations of the blues standards do not make them a cover band. Is John Coltrane a cover artist? Zep is not Vanilla Fudge. Sure they did some people tunes but usually traditional blues songs. Is Hendrix a cover artist because he played "Day Tripper" and "Killing Floor".

Agreed. First of all, there is nothing to debate in terms of Zeppelin freely borrowing from artists who came before them. As you know, it's already been settled in the courts. Second, listeners of the Stern show know that what he vilifies one day, he loves the next. He does whatever it takes to do entertaining radio. I've been a fan of Zeppelin since the mid-1970s but I can still laugh at them too, when they are cast in a humorous light.

Howard Stern has every right to call them a cover band 'cause to be honest, I think that's what they are. They did more cover songs a lot more than originals.

there's a difference between doing a word-for-word and note-for-note cover song and taking some material and transforming it into something new.

If they did the songs exactly like the previous bands/artists, then they'd be a cover band. But they didn't. They took something good and made it better. A lot better.

I could care less that LZ borrowed lyrics from about 10 different songs. Usually its only a few words but sometimes more. They totally re-arranged everything and the musical elements were totally new. The only reason it was an issue was because they became more popular then all the blues artists put together. Atlantic Records pushed them to get that album out and they had not been together long enough to come up with new material.

That idiot who said babe im gonna leave you was their staple song before stairway? I love the song put it wasn't even the staple of the first album.

Yes they should have been given credit, but blame the record companies not LZ. They totally turned these otherwise only minorly entertaining songs and turned them into masterpieces.

How about all their masterpiece songs that were totally original like:

Stairway To Heaven

Kashmir

Achilles Last Stand

Heartbreaker

Immigrant Song

Black Dog

Rock & Roll

No Quarter

Over The Hills and Far Away

Custard Pie

etc...and dont even tell me how Stairway was similar to that Spirit/Tarus stuff because the chord progression is not that close and isnt any more similar then alot of other things.

Stairway 100% original.

I listened to the clip and they give maybe 99% weight to the similar lyrics.

Songs are not all about lyrics.

Trust me, if Led Zeppelin put out a bunch of different songs with the same lyrics as they are now but with crappy music (guitar, bass, drums), no one would have ever cared.

You wouldn't have bought their music and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It was more about the interaction between the music and the singer, than the lyrics themselves.

Lyrics are easier to track because they're written down. But there's no way in hell you can take a look at the "Dazed and Confused" they played in their concerts and compare it to Jake's version.

Most of the songs that are about the lyrics are "original" songs, like the ones mentioned above.

others no one else mentions:

black dog - sort of follows fleetwood mac's song 'oh well' in format

riff /riff stops verse/ riff etc

kashmir - (not a direct rip off) gets its inspiration from kaleidoscope's song egyptian gardens (they also taught page about bowing the guitar)

What I object to when it comes to this topic is not the idea that Zep borrow (they do); it's the idea that they do it more than other major artists.

People will point out that Zep were sued successfully for plagarism. So were John Lennon and George Harrison. Dylan and Clapton "borrow" songs without giving credit.

In fact, I give Zeppelin credit over Clapton because EC didn't give Duane Allman a writing credit on Layla; say what you like about LZ, but at least they were giving out writing credits fairly within the band.

The real question is: why is it thought of differently when Zep does it than when these other artists do it? Why is there such a backlash against this band?

I thought Stairway was "borrowed" from a band they toured with called Spirit, early on in San Fran...?

It does'nt matter anyway...their own influence and enbellishments made the song a Zep original and probably the best rock song ever. As someone said previously....they might have borrowed from other artists, but turned obscure melodies into some of the best songs ever recorded. They reached millions of people with music....the other artists should almost be grateful that part of their own legacies made it as far as music can go.

and sorry that Joan Baez song, that is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, was awful the way she sang it.

I thought Stairway was "borrowed" from a band they toured with called Spirit, early on in San Fran...?

Here is a YouTube link where you can listen to Taurus:

Spirit- Taurus

I hear what people are referring to, the arpeggiated chords, they are similar to the guitar part in Stairway- but Jimmy changed the end of the chord sequence. Ultimately Taurus has no more to do with Stairway than Fleetwood Mac's Drifting and Albatross have to do with the Beatles' Sun King. Again, why is it different when Zep does it?

and sorry that Joan Baez song, that is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, was awful the way she sang it.

I don't necessarily agree with that. But, it was a traditional- she got it from somewhere else too, Zep just claimed it.

And if claiming traditionals isn't fair game, again there are more examples of other major artists doing it. Paul Simon claimed authorship of Scarorough fair when a traditional arrangement already existed put together Martin Carthy. In between Carthy's and Simon's versions, Bob Dylan put out Girl of the North Country with some of the same lyrics and claimed the writing credit solely for himself.

Again and again- why is it different when Zep does it? :rolleyes:

What annoys me about this is the fact that I now wind up getting in arguments about it with people who know nothing about music, let alone zeppelin. I was out to dinner with a friend last week when he referenced howard Stern and said that "more than half" of Zeppelin's songs were note for note ripoffs. He pointed out STH and Taurus as being "identical, start to finish." My interest was piqued enough to listen to Taurus when I got home. beyond the intro the songs have absolutely nothing in common.

I agree, Stern can be funny. But some people treat anything they hear on that show as gospel.

Archived