robert on guitar

slave to zep

i have seen a few snippets of robert with a guitar and wondered just how good a player he was, did he ever play on songs either live or on recordings? and if he was good, then why not play ? also happy new year to all! its already here downunder

I saw him play guitar on the 1990 Manic Nirvana tour. I've heard some clips of him playing a pretty smokin' blues solo :D

Happy new year to you :wave:

There is a YouTube of him called "Robert Plant plays my son's guitar" or something like that, about a minute of Robert noodling on the guitar playing pentatonic scales and such, as well as saying trademark Plant one-liners.

There is a YouTube of him called "Robert Plant plays my son's guitar" or something like that, about a minute of Robert noodling on the guitar playing pentatonic scales and such, as well as saying trademark Plant one-liners.

Thanks for telling me that existed! He looks absolutely gorgeous!

Oh here's a link:

Happy New Year!

He's also played with Tinariwen, though that was on a ukelele or similar instrument. (I'll always associate the ukelele with George Formby--those who are old enough will understand why I have difficulty admitting to myself that that is what he was playing!)

He's also played with Tinariwen, though that was on a ukelele or similar instrument. (I'll always associate the ukelele with George Formby--those who are old enough will understand why I have difficulty admitting to myself that that is what he was playing!)

I don't know who that is but isn't a ukelele the instrument Tiny Tim used when he sang Tip Toe Through The Tulips :lol:

Robert played guitar on "You Shook Me" on the 1993 tour. I have a video of it. He plays the second solo. A little choppy, but bluesy. Nice.

Also, he played on "When The Levee Breaks" alongside Jimmy and Neil Young at the 1995 R&R Hall Of Fame show.

Yeah Cactus I know what you mean - he's not a bad player but it doesn't look natural on him. I have never felt he's fully comfortable holding a guitar of any type.

I guess I am comparing him to Jimmy, who pioneered the low-slung Les Paul look, and always looks so cool. Man he looked cool at O2, just classic. No frills, no piercings, no tattoos, just classic look, with those sunglasses/shades. Man.....

I agree! :D

Are there any more videos of him with a guitar?

He plays guitar during the 1993 concert at Montreux. Don't know if there's a clip of that bit floating about though.

I agree about him not looking too comfortable playing the guitar. I've seen some bits where he's being interviewed and is sort of tootling a bit on a guitar at the same time where he looks a bit more at ease.

He once made a really funny comment about having one lesson and the interviewer said it was a good thing the singing worked out. He replied that he was lucky to have found some good guitar players but none quite had his finesse :blink::lol:

Milano May 2006..he didn't play really ..and he always looked at Justin as if he needed help :D

epsn1326ln5.th.jpgepsn1332np1.th.jpg

epsn1328uh3.th.jpgepsn1333df4.th.jpg

epsn1329yl4.th.jpg

He plays guitar during the 1993 concert at Montreux. Don't know if there's a clip of that bit floating about though.

I agree about him not looking too comfortable playing the guitar. I've seen some bits where he's being interviewed and is sort of tootling a bit on a guitar at the same time where he looks a bit more at ease.

He once made a really funny comment about having one lesson and the interviewer said it was a good thing the singing worked out. He replied that he was lucky to have found some good guitar players but none quite had his finesse :blink::lol:

:D I think that was the SXSW interview. Very funny.

Got to hand it to him - it takes some cojones to play a guitar in public when you've been surrounded by some of the very best players all your life.

I too saw Robert play guitar during the Manic Nirvana Tour. His band could really kick butt back then. Come to think of it, I remember thinking the opening act was pretty good. It was a Rock band fronted by a female fiddle player. Not sure on the name-----maybe Lizzie Hayden. Maybe someone here remembers for sure. A female fiddle player, imagine that.....................

I saw a youtube vid once of him and Roger Daltry back stage and Plant was folling around on an acoustic. Plant was dissing some mutual friend of theirs about "being cheap". Anyone else see this?

I haven't seen video footage but I feel like there was a whole series of photos from backstage.

Archived