Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

In the oft-seen picture of Jimmy Page and blonde female friend arriving at Knebworth via helicopter in '79, the woman is usually identified as Charlotte Martin - but there's a quote from American rock writer Lisa Robinson, saying that at the same event she saw Page with Krissie Wood backstage. I've often wondered about this. Any thoughts that the helicopter companion was indeed Ms. Wood?

Interesting!!! She actually does look like Krissie, though of course Krissie could have been around too, especially if Lisa is refering to the second weekend when Ronnie appeared with The New Barbarians..

Interesting!!! She actually does look like Krissie, though of course Krissie could have been around too, especially if Lisa is refering to the second weekend when Ronnie appeared with The New Barbarians..

Good point, Knebby. Even so, I too believe it is Charlotte as otherwise I don't think he would have included it in his book. It's also been substantiated that he arrived in the helicopter with Charlotte.

Edited by SteveAJones

(mystery)... When, where, why and how did the rumor of Led Zeppelin "eating women and throwing the bones out the window" originate? This rumor got so far as Robert even mentioned it in an interview sometime in the 1970's that he said something along the lines that he wanted people to know that there was more to know about Led Zeppelin then them "eating women and throwing the bones out the window".

I don't think there ever was such a rumor as I don't think he was speaking literally when he said:

"We decided to hire our first publicity firm after we toured [America] in the summer of '72. That was the same summer that the Stones toured and we knew full well that we were doing more business than them. We were getting better gates in comparison to a lot of people who were constantly glorified in the press. So without getting egocentric, we thought it was time people heard something about us other than that we were eating women and throwing the bones out the window."

Edited by SteveAJones

There is a series of photos from Leeds '71(?) I believe (Bonzo in the Snoopy shirt), anyway, this guy was identified as Peter Grant, who it is NOT, of course. Is it Cole? Who is this guy in the ridiculous nehru jacket?

ledzeppelinleedsrettie007.jpg

ledzeppelinleedsrettie039.jpg

Zacron. Jimmy's artist friend who designed the 3rd album cover. He wears a hat like that.

Edited by aen27

In the oft-seen picture of Jimmy Page and blonde female friend arriving at Knebworth via helicopter in '79, the woman is usually identified as Charlotte Martin - but there's a quote from American rock writer Lisa Robinson, saying that at the same event she saw Page with Krissie Wood backstage. I've often wondered about this. Any thoughts that the helicopter companion was indeed Ms. Wood?

It would be her complete misunderstanding.Krissy was not already with Ron Wood ay that time(1979).Wood ran away with Jo after Krissy gave birth to his son.

It is sure that Jimmy had a(sexual) relationship with Ron Wood's wife,but it was very short time only in 1974.(when he had a domestic trouble with Charlotte.He never loved Krissy as well as other groupies)

If you are REAL fans of Jimmy,I wish you do more homework about Jimmy's life.With not invading him and his beloved family's privacy.

Jimmy put the photos of only two ladies in his autobiography.They are Charlotte Martin and Jackie De Shanon.

By only this fact I can understand his true feelings.And my long-time speculation was proved to be the FACT.

In addition,legal marriages are not so important for Jimmy.In fact he said that way in an interview in 1982.

Edited by Alice75

Jimmy put the photos of only two ladies in his autobiography.They are Charlotte Martin and Jackie De Shanon.

By only this fact I can understand his true feelings. And my long-time speculation was proved to be the FACT.

There could be any number of reasons why other women were not included in the book.

There could be any number of reasons why other women were not included in the book.

It's an autobiography, not ordinary books.Last year he was purposely declaring the content of his book was about only his musical history.I think there are not any women who don't like that Jimmy Page chooses their photos for his own book.It is natural to think that there is an important meaning in it.It's about time for him to look back on his own life and to express his honest feelings.I just think he simply did it.

It would be her complete misunderstanding.Krissy was not already with Ron Wood ay that time(1979).Wood ran away with Jo after Krissy gave birth to his son.

It is sure that Jimmy had a(sexual) relationship with Ron Wood's wife,but it was very short time only in 1974.(when he had a domestic trouble with Charlotte.He never loved Krissy as well as other groupies)

If you are REAL fans of Jimmy,I wish you do more homework about Jimmy's life.With not invading him and his beloved family's privacy.

By only this fact I can understand his true feelings.And my long-time speculation was proved to be the FACT.

In addition,legal marriages are not so important for Jimmy.In fact he said that way in an interview in 1982.

How incredibly pompous. Who are you to say who is a REAL fan and who isn't? Does a real fan have to be completely obsessed, with piles of research to pore over? Utter rubbish. A real fan can just as easily pop in and pop out and throw questions around and appreciate answers. How do you KNOW Krissy was not backstage at Knebworth - whoever she was with? How do you KNOW she wasn't seen talking to Jimmy?

Also, your continued insistence that you know who Jimmy really loved and who he didn't is embarrassing. I'm afraid you can't POSSIBLY know that, and it lacks respect both to him and the people who have passed through his life to keep saying it.

How incredibly pompous. Who are you to say who is a REAL fan and who isn't? Does a real fan have to be completely obsessed, with piles of research to pore over? Utter rubbish. A real fan can just as easily pop in and pop out and throw questions around and appreciate answers. How do you KNOW Krissy was not backstage at Knebworth - whoever she was with? How do you KNOW she wasn't seen talking to Jimmy?

Also, your continued insistence that you know who Jimmy really loved and who he didn't is embarrassing. I'm afraid you can't POSSIBLY know that, and it lacks respect both to him and the people who have passed through his life to keep saying it.

After all you answered.I perfectly could guess it. Whatever you say I don't mind it at all.

What you told me long before was far from the truth.(I looked into it and other many things!)

And I didn't pull your former quote though???why did you reply to me?

Please don't behave like know-it-all.

Though you might be one of the regular posters here,you are just fan (like us).

I'm nothing more than a fan. And as such, I don't try to say that I know who Jimmy loved and who he didn't - that would be absurd..

If you have a problem with any information I may have given you in the past, PM me. I'm sure I can clarify it.

I'm nothing more than a fan. And as such, I don't try to say that I know who Jimmy loved and who he didn't - that would be absurd..

If you have a problem with any information I may have given you in the past, PM me. I'm sure I can clarify it.

I'm not going to contact you privately at all.We have nothing to talk each other.

The source of my anger is a lack of your(not only you though) respect to Jimmy's family.The woman whom Jimmy calls his family even today and just ex-groupies or temporary lover(long long time ago) are the same?

We should have more respect for Jimmy's family members.

Alice, I have no lack of respect for anyone in Jimmy's life, aside from Halfwit. His private life is just that, as far as I'm concerned. I have met several of the women in his life as well as his elder daughter and son but I don't discuss them as if I know them - I don't.

Lets just look at this from a sensible perspective. Although we are certain that it isn't her in the helicopter photos, Krissy could easily have been backstage at Knebworth, at either weekend. She was a rock fan with a lot of friends/connections in the music business, and probably wanted to see Led Zeppelin as much as anyone else did - if I was her, I would have been there. She and Jimmy had no animosity so if she was there, they would almost certainly have spoken. Lisa Robinson is a very experienced and knowledgeable journalist so I don't see why we should assume she made a mistake. That Krissie wasn't with Ronnie at the time isn't really relevant ( though a fair comment) - Maureen Plant still attends loads of Robert's gigs and hasn't been with Robert since 1983, though admittedly they have an unusually good relationship. Krissie will have had mutual friends in both Ronnie and Jimmy's circle, as well as a child with Ronnie, so it is extremely possible that she was there.

I don't claim to know it all, Alice - if you look back at the last couple of pages you'll see a couple of instances right there where I DIDN'T stop and check my dates or research - I joined in some light-hearted and inoffensive speculation with others. I am still a REAL fan even if I didn't dive into my books/collection to check dates. Jimmy made no secret of these women being in his life. It's not disrespectful to discuss it at this level. I think it actually becomes disrespectful when it is taken to a further extreme by second-guessing who he cared for most.

As for your speculation regarding Jimmy's feelings for the women in his life - you are entitled to speculate if that is what interests you. MY problem with that, is that you insist on presenting your speculation as FACT, when no matter how much work and research you may have done, you CANNOT speak for Jimmy in these instances.

Peace.

Edited by Knebby

For anyone interested, the Lisa Robinson quote was from her November 2003 Vanity Fair article, "Stairway to Excess" (I also referred to it in my MMM unauthorized bio). She said Page and Wood both looked "totally out of it." The New Barbarians (featuring Ron W and Keith R) were featured at one Knebworth show, so it's reasonable to assume Krissie was there too. It's also been reported that Krissie was around during the '75 US tour, so presumably her connection with Page extended past the notorious "wife-swapping" party at Ron's place. Ron Wood, for his part, makes no mention of this in his recent autobiography.

Does any of this matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. I'm not really that interested in Page's private life, but, as a public figure of long standing, I think his relationships and unhealthy personal behavior, insofar as they're witnessed and documented by reputable journalists in a more or less open setting (e.g. backstage at a big concert), are fair game for discussion and speculation, at least here on this board. We can now return to dissecting the toggle settings and pickup configuration on the Number 1 Les Paul.

ledzeppelinleedsrettie007.jpgbilly_crudup_almost_famous_001.jpg

Dude on the right and Bill Crudup from Almost Famous: Separated at Birth?

Earlier tonight Richard Cole identified him as Henry "The Horse" Smith, who was their roadie at the time. That's Zacron (Led Zeppelin III cover artist) in the white hat. This photograph was taken at Leeds Town Hall on January 24, 1970.

Edited for correction.

Edited by SteveAJones

Ron Wood, for his part, makes no mention of this in his recent autobiography.

George, as you well know everyone (I think) loves dear Ronnie but his autobiography is completely shambolic and contains many inaccuracies.

Edited by SteveAJones

The only other woman in the book is Leona Lewis, but that is because they colaborated for the Olympics. But the other tow women, he did have a personal relationship with both of them outside of music.

By the way, I did say that the guy in the white hat a little bit back in the Leeds pictures was Zacron.

Edited by aen27

The only other woman in the book is Leona Lewis, but that is because they colaborated for the Olympics. But the other two women, he did have a personal relationship with both of them outside of music.

^^^

There are some (or at least one) taking this fact and using it to present their own beliefs concering Jimmy and Charlotte as a fact. We're all entitled to our own opinions and interpretations, but not our own facts. Frankly, although Jimmy and Charlotte were certainly a beautiful couple I don't think it's a remarkable photo of them together, rather it captures all the suspense of that particular day.

Edited by SteveAJones

Earlier tonight Richard Cole identified him as Henry "The Horse" Smith, who was their roadie at the time. That's Zacron (Led Zeppelin III cover artist) in the white hat. This photograph was taken at Leeds University on March 9th 1971.

Sorry, Steve. I know you know this however that photo was from January 24, 1970. Mr. Smith is handling the Black Beauty, which was long gone by March 1971.

^^^

There are some (or at least one) taking this fact and using it to present their own beliefs concering Jimmy and Charlotte as a fact. We're all entitled to our own opinions and interpretations, but not our own facts. Frankly, although Jimmy and Charlotte were certainly a beautiful couple I don't think it's a remarkable photo of them together, rather it captures all the suspense of that particular day.

Maybe it's because you aren't fond of her. :D The first time when I saw that photo was at the end of August 1979 in a rock magazine named 'Player',and I thought that photo was great and Jimmy looked very happy there.The most important point is that Jimmy loves and chose that photo for his 'autobiography'.Can you deny it?

Edited by Alice75

^^^

I agreed that point.I personally don't trust journalists,writers in the music world,aside from musical subject. I intend to investigate by myself the subjects that I want to know.

Edited by Alice75

Sorry, Steve. I know you know this however that photo was from January 24, 1970. Mr. Smith is handling the Black Beauty, which was long gone by March 1971.

My apologies, Jeff. You are absolutely correct. Leeds Town Hall on January 24, 1970 and the Black Beauty was indeed stolen three months later (April 1970).

Maybe it's because you aren't fond of her. :D The first time when I saw that photo was at the end of August 1979 in a rock magazine named 'Player',and I thought that photo was great and Jimmy looked very happy there.The most important point is that Jimmy loves and chose that photo for his 'autobiography'.Can you deny it?

I am fond of Charlotte, and I do think it was a nice touch for him to include a photo of her, Scarlet's mother, in his book. I just don't think their relationship was as idyllic as you find it to be, and that's fine.

The photograph was indeed published in the October 1979 issue of the Japanese music magazine Player, which would have hit newstands at the end of August 1979.