Queen (Under Rated?)

ZoSo88

Yea I know this isn't about LZ directly but I read alot of great posts in the Greatest of All Time discussion so..figured this one might be a little interesting. Now as i've stated before, in my personal opinion, I'd rank Queen as seconds best (if its at all possible to try to rank), but they are at least my second favorite. But when mentioningb bands right there along with LZ, only one other person metioned Queen, but many mentioned The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Nirvana, etc...So this beggs the question to me at least, is Queen underrated? I'll tell you why I'm so high up on them..

I believe they have the greatest Rock Vocalist ever, many people would agree from what I've seen on countdowns, or even digital dream door (a website ranking all musical things has him #1), but just his range, his charisma, stage presence, performing ability, etc. Now you take the rest of the band who were all very talented individually. They are the ONLY band to be inducted all together into the song writers hall of fame, and thats saying something! (LZ has been nominated!). They of course are members of the Rock and Roll HOF. They've sold almost 200 million albums, which puts them only beneath The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd. The Who only soldaround 40 million...but ill lay off that stuff, this isn't a numbers game. Queen performed for some of the largest crowds in music history, selling out Wembly no problem and once performing for over 120,000 people..only the mighty Zep could top that (knebworth). And of course their live performances are the stuff of legend. They have created some of the most well known and beautiful songs ever recorded. And anyone who follows studio work knows they are one of if not the most intracite bands, overlaying tracks, using multiple instuments, sound effects, and using heavy studio recording techniques. Very complicated yet sophisticated music.

Now here is where i mean in no way to knock the other great bands, chances are i love them too, but i have to use some of them just for comparitive purposes. Alot of people say The Who, and i really like them myself. But in all fairness, how many Who songs to most people really know? Also compare lyrical content...Queen is the only band in the songwriters hall of fame for a reason, i wouldnt know how to stright up compare quality of lyrics..you'd have to extensivly listen to both, and certainly no knock on the Who, i just thing Queen is something totally else. But i'll let the rest of the discussion go one with you guys...what do you think?

Yea I know this isn't about LZ directly but I read alot of great posts in the Greatest of All Time discussion so..figured this one might be a little interesting. Now as i've stated before, in my personal opinion, I'd rank Queen as seconds best (if its at all possible to try to rank), but they are at least my second favorite. But when mentioningb bands right there along with LZ, only one other person metioned Queen, but many mentioned The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Nirvana, etc...So this beggs the question to me at least, is Queen underrated? I'll tell you why I'm so high up on them..

I believe they have the greatest Rock Vocalist ever, many people would agree from what I've seen on countdowns, or even digital dream door (a website ranking all musical things has him #1), but just his range, his charisma, stage presence, performing ability, etc. Now you take the rest of the band who were all very talented individually. They are the ONLY band to be inducted all together into the song writers hall of fame, and thats saying something! (LZ has been nominated!). They of course are members of the Rock and Roll HOF. They've sold almost 200 million albums, which puts them only beneath The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd. The Who only soldaround 40 million...but ill lay off that stuff, this isn't a numbers game. Queen performed for some of the largest crowds in music history, selling out Wembly no problem and once performing for over 120,000 people..only the mighty Zep could top that (knebworth). And of course their live performances are the stuff of legend. They have created some of the most well known and beautiful songs ever recorded. And anyone who follows studio work knows they are one of if not the most intracite bands, overlaying tracks, using multiple instuments, sound effects, and using heavy studio recording techniques. Very complicated yet sophisticated music.

Now here is where i mean in no way to knock the other great bands, chances are i love them too, but i have to use some of them just for comparitive purposes. Alot of people say The Who, and i really like them myself. But in all fairness, how many Who songs to most people really know? Also compare lyrical content...Queen is the only band in the songwriters hall of fame for a reason, i wouldnt know how to stright up compare quality of lyrics..you'd have to extensivly listen to both, and certainly no knock on the Who, i just thing Queen is something totally else. But i'll let the rest of the discussion go one with you guys...what do you think?

This really should be in the other band section, but I'll respond anyway.

Queen is a great band. While I didn't get to see them while Freddie was alive (saw them with Rodgers though, which was great), I have seen a fair amount of concert footage. The problem with Queen for many like myself is their just so campy that it's hard to listen to them as much as some of the other bands you mentioned. I could listen to Zep, the Who, the White Stripes, Dylan, etc. all day, however I can't say the same for Queen. However, nobody that I know on this board would deny their musical ability or songwriting.

I find it unfathomable that anyone could wonder such a thing...and what a ridiculous basis--because other people don't put them up with Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, etcetera??? Queen are far from underrated :rolleyes:. Millions of people love them. I, however, think they're awful.

I find it unfathomable that anyone could wonder such a thing...and what a ridiculous basis--because other people don't put them up with Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, etcetera??? Queen are far from underrated :rolleyes:. Millions of people love them. I, however, think they're awful.

Part of their appeal is in the "horrible" stuff, like "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon." I f*ckin' love that song! :rolleyes:

I think it was just harder to take them seriously than it was for so many of their peers.

When you think 'Queen peers', is it ELO, Who, FMac, Genesis, Elton John, Sabbath....or?

I mean, Queen weren't exactly the Clash when it came to seriousness, but I dont sense the lack of seriousness. Maybe every sports arena in the world has helped this along....

Boom, Boom...Clap!

Boom, Boom...Clap!

Boom, Boom...Clap!

Go Clippers!!!

slapface.gif

When you think 'Queen peers', is it ELO, Who, FMac, Genesis, Elton John, Sabbath....or?

I mean, Queen weren't exactly the Clash when it came to seriousness, but I dont sense the lack of seriousness. Maybe every sports arena in the world has helped this along....

Boom, Boom...Clap!

Boom, Boom...Clap!

Boom, Boom...Clap!

Go Clippers!!!

slapface.gif

By peers I meant other huge bands during the same period, like Zep, the Stones, the Who, etc.

By peers I meant other huge bands during the same period, like Zep, the Stones, the Who, etc.

I think Queen lumps in with the FMac, Elton John, ELO (all huge at the time) gang than the protometal* gang. In that sense, I think you're shortchanging Queen a bit.

*even though Queen did have hardrockin tunes, but they werent usually the singles, other than Keep Yourself Alive or Stone Cold Crazy[?].

That's true.

I don't think they are UNDERated. Freddie is an icon.

And like Crablegs..Klu said:

We will we will rock you......... B)

I think they are more in the US than the UK cause they stopped touring here in '82. Thats a decade before Freddie kicked the bucket...a long time to be out of the public consciousness.

I think Queen lumps in with the FMac, Elton John, ELO (all huge at the time) gang than the protometal* gang. In that sense, I think you're shortchanging Queen a bit.

*even though Queen did have hardrockin tunes, but they werent usually the singles, other than Keep Yourself Alive or Stone Cold Crazy[?].

I meant in the popularity sense not genre. Although to be fair, Queen shared a lot in common with Zep. And either way, Queen was way bigger than Fleetwood Mac and ELO.

I meant in the popularity sense not genre. Although to be fair, Queen shared a lot in common with Zep. And either way, Queen was way bigger than Fleetwood Mac and ELO.

I wasnt there, but I dont think they were ever in the same league as the Stones/Zep/Who/PFloyd in popularity in the US. I dont think they ever did outdoor stadium shows* here. My dad saw them opening for Mott The Hoople at the santa monica civic in '75 when Bohemian Rhapsody came out, so they werent huge at all when they were more of a hard rock/prog band.

*non festival ones, i mean

I wasnt there, but I dont think they were ever in the same league as the Stones/Zep/Who/PFloyd in popularity in the US. I dont think they ever did outdoor stadium shows* here. My dad saw them opening for Mott The Hoople at the santa monica civic in '75 when Bohemian Rhapsody came out, so they werent huge at all when they were more of a hard rock/prog band.

*non festival ones, i mean

Well in the US of course. In the UK different story.

Well in the US of course. In the UK different story.

No doubt. In the UK, Queen songs regularly rank more highly in these ditzy top50/100 lists than is the US, plus they toured more internationally than most bands......(south africa being an infamous example). But, I'm American and I assume you're american...so that was my context of where Queen ranked among peers. Its not like Winehouse, Robbie Williams or Oasis are as big here as in the UK.

No doubt. In the UK, Queen songs regularly rank more highly in these ditzy top50/100 lists than is the US, plus they toured more internationally than most bands......(south africa being an infamous example). But, I'm American and I assume you're american...so that was my context of where Queen ranked among peers. Its not like Winehouse, Robbie Williams or Oasis are as big here as in the UK.

True, although Oasis for example does has a US following that can surprise you. They sell out gigs here of pretty decent size.

This really should be in the other band section, but I'll respond anyway.

Queen is a great band. While I didn't get to see them while Freddie was alive (saw them with Rodgers though, which was great), I have seen a fair amount of concert footage. The problem with Queen for many like myself is their just so campy that it's hard to listen to them as much as some of the other bands you mentioned. I could listen to Zep, the Who, the White Stripes, Dylan, etc. all day, however I can't say the same for Queen. However, nobody that I know on this board would deny their musical ability or songwriting.

:lol: You know, the funny thing is the "camp" is one of the things I love the most. :D

Well, I'm sure a lot of folks here already know that I love Freddie to bits. Hearing him sing makes me feel that life is worth living. And tomorrow is the 16th anniversary of his death. I can't believe it's been that long. :(

Queen made a lot of beautiful, powerful and complex music. It's too bad radio doesn't play a bigger sampling of their catalog.

Queen - underrated? In the U.S., definitely. Not in the rest of the world, though.

The problem with Queen for many like myself is their just so campy that it's hard to listen to them as much as some of the other bands you mentioned.

That's the thing I love about Queen... They weren't this big, macho bravado 'cool' band... They totally put on a spectacle, a show... At the same as rocking harder than most groups out there!

I mean, personally, i've not heard a better or more hard rockin' opening to a show than the "Flash/The Hero/We Will Rock You(Fast) from their Milton Keynes Bowl show... Just amazing!!

I'm a huge Queen fan as you can tell... I really can't see how any hard rock fan can't be, but I guess they do have a distinctive sound that might be an acquired taste...

That's the thing I love about Queen... They weren't this big, macho bravado 'cool' band... They totally put on a spectacle, a show... At the same as rocking harder than most groups out there!

I mean, personally, i've not heard a better or more hard rockin' opening to a show than the "Flash/The Hero/We Will Rock You(Fast) from their Milton Keynes Bowl show... Just amazing!!

I'm a huge Queen fan as you can tell... I really can't see how any hard rock fan can't be, but I guess they do have a distinctive sound that might be an acquired taste...

Camp is fine when balanced out correctly. They were just way too much of it. When they did flat out rock though it was nearly unmatched by the rest of the rock world.

Archived