Robert Plant: One of Rock's Blithe Spirits

Cat

Robert Plant: One of Rock's Blithe Spirits

THE SAN ANTONIO LIGHT Sunday, June 12,1977

By CHRISTINE BROWN

Knight News Service

Robert Plant has the front-line job — lead singer — with led Zeppelin, interviewed at his New Orleans hotel, Plant looks very much the rock star the morning after—in this case, after a concert in Houston. His blond curly hair is unkempt Shirley Temple; reflecting sunglasses at first hide his gaze. His face is a little puffy-tired, but still basically movie-star handsome, complete with Kirk Douglas chin.

Plant is not your average English rocker. Many of them are about 5 feet 4 inches maximum and weigh 120 pounds soaking wet; Plant is a good six feet tall and admirably proportioned. He is one of rock's most blithe spirits, with an infectious smile that is impossible to resist. Like the others in the.band, Plant is serious and articulate about his work, but his sense of whimsy and games-playing keep pushing the their way into his responses.

Q. — Why is It that everyone seems so happy this time out?

A. — This has been the best tour. I never thought I'd tour again. We had to wait a long time, because I didn't want it to be inferior.

Q. — Your show seems much more subtle now, different from the shows you did in 75. How has the approach changed?

A. — Every fime we come back through, in each new phase, the approach has to change. You can't lie

to yourself. Perhaps you just go for a different spot on the map. At the beginning, it was just blasting people so they were pinned against the wall. It was a force field. Subtlety is what makes us smile.

Q. — Why is it that everyone seems so happy this time out?

A. — This has been the best tour.

What a difference the following month would make....at the same hotel no less.

Edit: Houston was 5/21/77 so the storm was two months away at the time he spoke.

What a difference the following month would make....at the same hotel no less.

Edit: Houston was 5/21/77 so the storm was two months away at the time he spoke.

Yes, the Storm was brewing over the Horizon...Jimmy sensed It's Darkness but couldn't put his finger on what it was - that brooding mood that was settling over the Band and its' counterparts.

Robert took the brunt of that maelstrom...sadly enough.

Yes, the Storm was brewing over the Horizon...Jimmy sensed It's Darkness but couldn't put his finger on what it was - that brooding mood that was settling over the Band and its' counterparts.

He never discusses his mid-tour trip to Cairo the first week in May. I do wish he would.

Archived