Rock 'super groups' perform

Cat

Rock 'super groups' perform

Daily Review Hayward, California, November 05, 1969

SAN FRANCISCO — Led Zeppelin, Isaac Hayes, Roland Kirk and Wolf Gang will appear at Winterland Thursday through Saturday, November 6 through 8. The show will begin at 8:30 p.m., end at 2 a.m. Admission is $3.00 Thursday, $3.50 Friday and Saturday.

Led Zeppelin was formed by ex-Yardbird Jimmy Page in 1968. The group released their first LP, "Led Zeppelin" (Atlantic) in January, just prior to their first U.S. tour and first Fillmore West appearance.

Although the album had been out only a few weeks, their appearances at Fillmores East and West drew record crowds and rave reviews from music critics who compared them to such "super

groups" as The Who, The Cream and The Rolling Stones.

Of their debut appearance here, Phil Elwood wrote, "Guitarist Jimmy Page is so strong and distinctive that even in ensembles his work is markedly personal . . . lead singer Robert Plant wails and moans the old blues lines like a Mississippi Delta veteran . . . an extra powerful male Janis Joplin, if you can imagine.

I think the start of Zeppelin's stardom was in January of 69 in Boston when they supposedly played 4 hours. At least JPJ says it was 4 hours. All off of one album of material. But the entire 69 year was full of high energy shows that started their ascension to the top.

I think the start of Zeppelin's stardom was in January of 69 in Boston when they supposedly played 4 hours. At least JPJ says it was 4 hours. All off of one album of material. But the entire 69 year was full of high energy shows that started their ascension to the top.

I'm gonna go with Steve on this one. the Filmore/Winterland shows from the end of Arpil.the 1st US tour put them on the map. but the band reached thier stardom in April.

Archived