MOMENTS AT CONCERTS THAT LIVE IN THE MEMORY

leddy

#1 Led Zeppelin May 19, 1977 Baton Rouge, LA LSU Assly. Cntr.

#2 Page/Plant Tour 1994 New Orleans, LA UNO Lakefront Arena

#3 Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare Tour summer of 1974 New Orleans City Park Stadium

I'm also a huge fan of The Church but have never seen them live.

Not necessarily "musical" moments but some very memorable moments nevertheless:

Michael Stipe stage diving into the crowd not once but twice at R.E.M.'s gig at Duke University on the Pagentry tour in 1986. After security wrestled him away from the crowd after his first jump, Stipe turned tail and jumped right back into the screaming throngs. This was way before stage diving became the "in" thing so I'd never seen anything quite like it before. The concert (my first of theirs) was pretty fucking good too.

David Lee Roth bringing a Van Halen concert to a very abrupt stop after being nailed in the head by a "train" of plastic red NC State beer cups at June Jam at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh back in 1979. Also on the bill that day were Poco, Boston and the Outlaws. The cups (along with many other flying objects of various shapes and sizes) had been being tossed in the air all afternoon so it was only a matter of time. When several cups that had been stacked together in a "train" hit Roth in the head, he stopped the band and loudly exclaimed that if someone threw another cup at him, the concert would be over. He also threatened to whup the motherfucker's ass that threw a cup at him right there on the stage. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. Thankfully the concert continued but audience members kept right on tossing the cups. None ever hit the stage again but I did see one fellow up in the stands were I was who'd been hit in the face by a George Dickel bottle. When I watched a report on the news about the concert the next day, not one thing was said about the incident with Roth. In fact, the Dean of the school even promised a concert there the following year that might possibly include Journey, Boston and others. As it turns out, there was not another concert at Carter-Finley until Pink Floyd played there on their Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. I just feel very lucky that a riot didn't erupt that day as it seemed on the edge of doing just that on more than one occasion.

Seeing Whiskeytown at the Brewery in Raleigh while on tour for Strangers Almanac in 1998. I had driven several hours that day just to see that show and suffered not one but two flat tires along the way. By the time I arrived Whiskeytown were taking their dear sweet time appearing on the stage. Once they did they began unveiling one new song right after the other. Before I knew it, it was break time. When they came back on stage they began doing a few songs from Strangers and then the next thing I knew the band were showering themselves and the audience with beer all while performing an original called Piss On Your Grave. The next thing I remember is squalls of feedback fading and the houselights coming up. Suddenly, it was all over. When lead singer/principle songwriter Ryan Adams ambled by a few moments later I told of how I'd driven so far just to see the show and in just a little over an hour, it was over. He said, "sometimes it just happens that way". At the time I was more than a bit disappointed but in the years since I feel fortunate just to have seen them at all since they called it quits shortly thereafter. I've since seen two impromptu Whiskeytown reunion gigs which have also been very magical but nothing quite like seeing 'em for that very first time.

Ok i pulled out all my ticket stub books to see where and how "I" felt Gomez ranked. First let me say I,ve seen HUNDREDS of shows....The Grateful Dead for example I've seen more Than 100 times ......so with that said, I put together my favorite 15 shows of my lifetime!!!!!

1. Led Zeppelin May 26 1977 Capital Centre MD FRONT ROW. My first of four front row shows in a row by the mighty Zep.

2. The Who Aug 6, 1976 Capital Centre 2nd row...with Moon...my hearing has never been the same since.

3. Led Zeppelin May 30,1977 Capital Centre Front Row....The first was the first just for the sheer excitement of seeing Plant inches from me....this one was because the performance was .....well get the boot and see.

4. The Grateful Dead July 13, 1984 Greek Theatre Berkley,CA..this was the boys 15th B-day party.

5. GOMEZ Oct 18, 2004 The Handlebar,Greenville,SC HOLY SHIT!!

Really and truely the boys garner the 5th spot on my list!!! What a performance...too bad the sound system was so wimpy there.

6. Roger Waters Sept 12, 1988 McNichols Arena Denver,CO This show blew Pink Floyd away.....I can't believe I just said that in public...but it was one of the best things I've ever seen Roger do.

7. Robert Plant Sept 14,1990 Red Rocks Morrison,CO....I,ve seen Plant SO many times, but this was a very special performance....mind numbing.

8. Queen/Thin Lizzy 1976 Cole Field House University of MD....shitty acoustics.....but phenomenal performance....I saw Queen 4 or 5 times...this was by far the best. Lizzy tore it up as well.

9. Little Feat w/Lowell George....March 78 Warner Theatre DC I was at 7 of the 14 shows...this is where they recorded Waiting For Columbus, so I need to list all 7 shows I saw as #9.

10.GOMEZ Aug 12, 2004 Orange Peel,Asheville,NC....Truely Gomez are in my top 10 shows TWICE!!!!!!! I believe they will keep bustin' my list!

11.Grateful Dead July22, 1984 Ventura<CA...The Dead played on the beach for two days.....we camped and swam in the ocean to the Dead!!! Just pure magic.

12. Yes/Donavan Aug. 16, 1977 Capital Centre MD...great show I got to sit on stage next to Steve Howe for this show.....

13.Talking Heads 1983 Red Rocks,CO...this was incredible....they played Burnin' Down THe House TWICE....

14.Grateful Dead Dec 31,1983 San Fran Civic Centre....New Years Eve turning 1984......4 shows....so much fun...this show ended at 5:00am with Bill Graham giving ALL in attendance a bagged breakfast of bagel and apple to leave with.

15. Lenny Kravitz Oct 16,1999 ABQ Convention Centre...I can't believe Lenny made it on my list either...but THIS show was stellar.

You know what I mean when you think back to the gigs you have been to , some moments just bring a shiver up your spine or a smile.

1- Kashmir - Led Zeppelin O2 arena 2007

Thinking of this does make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :) The pounding riff, the light show, the crowd jumping, the floor shaking and just being there after the journey of getting a ticket makes this a special moment.

2- Highway Star - Deep Purple Knebworth 1985

Jon Lord playing Bach as they came on stage then kicking into the duh duh duh riff building the song up and realising I was seeing the classic Mk II lineup. It was wet, very wet, but again its a moment I will never forget :)

3- Mozart Flute Concerto- My Dad B.S.O Winter Gardens 1977

Please forgive me for self endulgence on this one, there were a few candidates, but none that could really take the place of this. Seeing my dad play a concerto at a wee age always makes me smile, His playing was really wonderful and as my dad is my thoughts at the mo this is up there ! You could hear a pin drop when he played a cadenza in the Mozart Flute Concerto ! My heart was in my mouth as I saw him up there and although I saw him many many times play, this one is the one I always remember the most.

How's it going "leddy" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? "leddy," thats a good question? I have many special moments at concerts that I will never forget as long as I live. Out of the many hundreds and hundreds of concerts that I have seen through the years, I really have to think hard on this one in order to narrow hundreds and hundreds of concerts down to three. I will post my three on your thread hopefully real soon. In the mean time, live life to the fullest and ROCK ON!

Van Halen, Halloween night on the Diver Down tour (1980/81?) Hampton Coliseum, VA. They had jack-o-lanterns on stage and really had fun with the Halloween thing; it was definitely the most fun I've ever had at a concert, and the most fun I've ever seen a band have live :)

The Police, Synchronicity tour, my freshman year in college, 1983, College of William & Mary (Williamsburg VA). REM opened, but we missed them because we got lost (we drove 6 hours to the concert from college). They totally rocked; I was a major Police fan back then; had all their records; it was the second favorite concert I've seen. :)

The Eagles, 2003, Richmond Coliseum, Richmond VA. The only concert that would excite me more than this did would be Zeppelin, as I've been a major Eagles fan since ~ 1973, or 3rd grade; we had awesome seats and it was definitely the best concert ever for my husband and I (even better than Pink Floyd in LA, he says).

DMB with Neil Young, 2001, Charlottesville VA/Scott Stadium. Memorable because I was 8.5 months pregnant with my youngest; and it was an awesome show.

• 3 weeks later...
How's it going "leddy" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? "leddy," thats a good question? I have many special moments at concerts that I will never forget as long as I live. Out of the many hundreds and hundreds of concerts that I have seen through the years, I really have to think hard on this one in order to narrow hundreds and hundreds of concerts down to three. I will post my three on your thread hopefully real soon. In the mean time, live life to the fullest and ROCK ON!

Yes all is cool thanks and you ? look forward to your choices soon.

Yes all is cool thanks and you ? look forward to your choices soon.

How's it going "leddy?" Sorry that I am taking so long for my choices but it is extremely hard for me to narrow hundreds and hundreds of concerts down to three. It might be a little easier for me if I can name my Top 100 concerts out of hundreds and hundreds of selections but even then, it would still be hard. Looking at all of the hundreds and hundreds of ticket stubs of every single concert that I ever attended, every ticket stub has a great memory of its own. Besides all of the great music that I heard at concerts, I was always involved in some kind of drama at the concerts. I should be listing some of my favorite concerts here on your thread tomorrow. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

#1 is easy...

June 3, 1977 Tampa Stadium – Led Zeppelin Nobody's Fault But Mine

It was my first rock concert, and the anticipation was beyond belief. I remember there was no actual time on the ticket, just the date. As we partied, I remember each time the volume of the music playing over the speakers was increased, the crowd went wild. And then, as they were setting up, a stage hand walked out carrying the red double-neck guitar and set it in the stand and the place literally exploded. That was the moment it came to me "Holy shit, that's his guitar and he's actually gonna PLAY that thing!"

A massive line of black storm clouds were moving in (as I had seen happen in Florida pretty much any summer day you could think of) as they took the stage. It was raining as they played the first 2 songs, and we were under a plastic sheet burning a bowl. When the piercing strains opening Nobody's Fault But Mine began, my friend and I turned to each other all wild-eyed and flipped the plastic sheet away and began screaming like madmen.

Later, I remember not realizing how serious things were until I looked up and saw all kinds of shit being thrown over our heads towards the cops on the stage.

Only 3 songs.

It sucked, but it was also unbelievable that I actually got to see that.

#2 April 14, 1979 Tangerine Bowl (Orlando) – Ted Nugent Stranglehold

Aerosmith, Cheap Trick and Ted Nugent were headlining the Florrida World Music Festival (no idea why they used 2 Rs in Florida, but they did) and there was a lot of shit-talking on the radio about who would steal the show.

Right in the middle of Stranglehold while Ted is wailing on the solo with feet spread wide and head thrown back, some chick gets a push from the crowd onto the stage and she runs over and grabs Ted's leg and falls to her knees in a kind of dry-hump on his leg. Ted never missed a note and just kept wailing with this chick draped at his feet like that kind of shit happened all the time - it was so fucking cool and so fucking ROCK. Within seconds a couple stage goons had swept her up and carried her off and Ted was still wailing.

A secondary moment was the very opening of Ted's set as the stadium went black and the guitar started just a lot of power-chords and kept getting louder until a super bright tight spot lit up Ted at the top of a bank of amps that looked like they HAD to be 10 feet tall. He was squatted down with his guitar between his legs and grinning all crazy and then suddenly leaps, and as he lands on the stage, explosions all the way across the stage as well as every light in the stadium came on and he went into Free For All.

People may not like him, but that motherfucker could put on a show and rocked your ass.

#3 Approximately 1978 Orlando Jai Alai Fronton Nazareth, Sammy Hagar and Mahogany RushMahogany Rush Encore Song

OK, by the vagueness of the details, you might as well know we were absolutely nuked on "T" (PCP), and the Jai Alai Fronton with its high perch seats did not help the distorted perception of the entire evening. I do know it was during the time Dan McCafferty of Nazareth had been injured or something because he sat on a high stool for the entire show. However, in one of the most intense concert moments I've ever experienced, Frank Marino was unleashing the most radioactive solo imaginable, and at one point, it became an overwhelming onslaught of whammy-bar feedback, and it just kept pulsing louder and louder until Marino took the guitar off and threw it to the ground and walked offstage. Total darkness except this blinding spotlight on the guitar lying on the stage, the pulsing noise gowing louder and louder, until after what seemed to be an eternity, but was most likely a minute or so, Marino emerges with another guitar and begins wailing away over the noise from the first guitar still lying there.

It was an absolute orgasm of fucking awesomeness.

Short runners-up:

2004 Atlanta Judas Priest The Hellion/Electric Eye

Great show, and the whole way there I kept telling my partner how awesome it would be if they opened with The Hellion/Electric Eye – and they DID! Awesome.

2008 Charlotte Second Leg of Snakes and Arrows Tour Rush Temples of Syrinx

We saw the first leg in Charlotte as well in '07, and I remember saying "the only thing that could possibly have made that any better would be to hear something from 2112."

Well, that's what they added for the second leg of the tour, and my life was complete. :D

I know I've got more, but these are the ones that stand out for me:

1. Being being pulled up on stage by Edwin of I Mother Earth and introduced to the crowd of 2000 because it was my friend and I's 60th time seeing them. (And being mentioned in the newspaper the next day!)

2. Nikki Sixx singing a line of a song directly to me at the Crue show in 2000.

3. Ozzfest 2000 - watching the majority of the bands from the side of the stage.

It was my first concert for a major band. It was Kansas at Cooper River Park in Pennsauken on July 4, 2007. I was 14.

I remember it rained so hard that it hurt, but I stayed out there and like the little brat I was, I made my father, step mother and older brother who didn't give a shit about Kansas, stay out there in the thunderstorm that had freezing rain. :lol:

I remember how mud just filled the whole park and my friend John and I was just running around in the mud and flinging it at people. Everyone in front of the stage was covered head to toe in mud. And my dad made John and I stand out in the rain until we were clean because he didn't want to get his car dirty :lol:

I smelled weed for the first time and the people on the blanket next to us had this thing called Hookah or however you spell it :lol: but oh my God, when they played "Carry On my Wayward Son", the crowd just surged forward, and everyone sang together. I've never heard a sound like that since.

I remember that it flooded and we all had to walk two miles to the car in knee deep, freezing rain water. And John and I were still smiling the whole way back to the car, despite the fact that we ruined our clothes.

Ugh, I'll never forget it, man.

1. Being being pulled up on stage by Edwin of I Mother Earth and introduced to the crowd of 2000 because it was my friend and I's 60th time seeing them. (And being mentioned in the newspaper the next day!)

3. Ozzfest 2000 - watching the majority of the bands from the side of the stage.

Holy hell, That is just too cool!! :D

I LOVE I Mother Earth :D I haven't ever come across anyone who's even heard of them. Great band. How lucky you got pulled on stage :o

I LOVE I Mother Earth :D I haven't ever come across anyone who's even heard of them. Great band. How lucky you got pulled on stage :o

I'm surprised you've heard of them! That's very cool. They did well in Canada, but I wish they had gotten more exposure elsewhere.

1.) Van Halen Target Center 10/24/07

Being able to see on of the greatest bands of all time and one of the greatest guitarists of all time. We sat five rows up from the floor with direct center seats (section 101). You can even hear us talking in the sbd recording!

target_center-1663-12245-seating_ch.gif

Also, the "fuck-you-go-home-lady" as me and my friends call her. She was so drunk she kept yelling at her boyfriend before the show. She kept yelling "fuck you!" and "go home!" to him. She passed out at Runnin' With the Devil, the third song of the set.

2.) Steve Miller Band, MN State Fair, 8/28/2006

When we saw Steve Miller band he asked for request for encores and I shouted "In the Winter Time" and apparently he heard me because he said "there is a kid with his friends back there *points to us* that wanna hear this." And they played it.

3.) Moon Dance Jam. Walker, MN July 15-18, 2009

This will be soon to be. My friends and I are going to see Judas Priest, Yes, Grand Funk Railroad, Thin Lizzy, Kansas, Foghat, and Journy for our last time together before we all go off to college.

I'm surprised you've heard of them! That's very cool. They did well in Canada, but I wish they had gotten more exposure elsewhere.

Me too! But the only reason I had heard of them was I was trying to You-Tube some songs by a great UK band "Mother Earth" and a whole load of "I Mother Earth" vids came up instead. :rolleyes::huh::D

I don't think I could list my fave gig moments. Too many to mention. Will think about it for a bit.

I remember them from the early 90s when we used to play them at a station I worked at in Eastern NC.

Agree. The problem is they were signed and promoted as a "grunge" band in the states well after grunge had hit its peak, so I think people viewed them as yet another Seattle type band which is a shame. Are they still doing anything as a band?

Agree. The problem is they were signed and promoted as a "grunge" band in the states well after grunge had hit its peak, so I think people viewed them as yet another Seattle type band which is a shame. Are they still doing anything as a band?

Not so much. They split up quite a few years ago. The singer has a new band, the guitarist went into producing. The drummer plays in a cover band, and the bass player ended up joining Blue Man Group. Their album "Dig" will always be in my top all time favorite records.

Not so much. They split up quite a few years ago. The singer has a new band, the guitarist went into producing. The drummer plays in a cover band, and the bass player ended up joining Blue Man Group. Their album "Dig" will always be in my top all time favorite records.

That's too bad. Is the singer's new band any good? Dig is the one I have as well and still gets regular plays :D

Page Plant - April 1995 - Rosemont Horizon (outside Chicago, now the Allstate) seeing them for the first time, as Jimmy started into Thank You, 20,000 people screaming at the top of their lungs, and me not being able to believe I'm in the same building with them.

Pearl Jam - 1994 I belive - Soldier Field, Chicago - seeing them for the first time when they were huge. Playing Daughter and about half the 60,000 people there with there lighters lit.

You know what I mean when you think back to the gigs you have been to , some moments just bring a shiver up your spine or a smile.

1- Kashmir - Led Zeppelin O2 arena 2007

Thinking of this does make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :) The pounding riff, the light show, the crowd jumping, the floor shaking and just being there after the journey of getting a ticket makes this a special moment.

2- Highway Star - Deep Purple Knebworth 1985

Jon Lord playing Bach as they came on stage then kicking into the duh duh duh riff building the song up and realising I was seeing the classic Mk II lineup. It was wet, very wet, but again its a moment I will never forget :)

3- Mozart Flute Concerto- My Dad B.S.O Winter Gardens 1977

Please forgive me for self endulgence on this one, there were a few candidates, but none that could really take the place of this. Seeing my dad play a concerto at a wee age always makes me smile, His playing was really wonderful and as my dad is my thoughts at the mo this is up there ! You could hear a pin drop when he played a cadenza in the Mozart Flute Concerto ! My heart was in my mouth as I saw him up there and although I saw him many many times play, this one is the one I always remember the most.

How's it going "leddy?" Forgive me for taking so long to post my response. I have so many concerts to choose from. Rather than list 3, I will list my Top 8 favorite concerts now and another 8 later. For now, here are my Top 8 as follows:

1.) LED ZEPPELIN - OAKLAND COLISEUM - OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA - 23 JULY 1977

2.) THE WHO - THE WINTERLAND ARENA - SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA - 27 MARCH 1976

3.) PINK FLOYD - OAKLAND COLISEUM - OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA - 10 MAY 1977

4.) THE ROLLING STONES - OAKLAND COLISEUM - OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA - 26 JULY 1978

5.) GUNS N' ROSES/METALLICA - JACK MURPHY STADIUM - SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA

14 AUGUST 1992

6.) PINK FLOYD - L.A. MEMORIAL SPORTS ARENA - LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

27 APRIL 1975

7.) THE ROLLING STONES - CANDLESTICK PARK - SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA

17 OCTOBER 1981

8.) THE BEACH BOYS - ANAHEIM STADIUM - LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - 3 JULY 1976

I have many many more great concerts to choose from. I feel so lucky and fortunate to have seen many of the great legendary bands in their prime. As I once said to all of you, every ticket that I own is a memory that represents a chapter in my life. ROCK ON!

Midday at Downsview, July 2003 listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmhuW_X1vrI.

Watching the sunset in Toronto as AC/DC played Thunderstruck, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vWFhQvYy4, You Shook Me All Night Long, and Whole Lotta Rosie.

Start Me Up and Ruby Tuesday echoed through the Canadian summer night.

As I exited the venue to get a head start on the crowd of 450,000, you could hear Angus Young and the Stones play Miss You, Satisfaction, Rock Me Baby and Jumpin' Jack Flash for miles.

It was 3:00 am before I got back to the hotel.

Guess Who opening with

in the morning at Downsview in July, 2003.

And no sooner than they launched into American Woman, ironically, one of the guys in the audience starting hitting on me as if on cue.

was totally cool.

And Rush delivered Limelight, The Spirit Of Radio,

and their version of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im04kIyseEo.

Also, the

at was quite memorable that day.

And of course,

performing TNT and
for the crowd.

It rocked from morning into the late night and was one of those days you thanked God for rock and roll.

Archived