Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

I have a question - Are there any 70's era photos with members of Zeppelin with any of the Beatles?

Nothing onstage comes to mind, aside from the Concerts for Kampuchea (Dec '79), though their paths did cross off-stage on occasion and photos may have been taken.

Nothing onstage comes to mind, aside from the Concerts for Kampuchea (Dec '79), though their paths did cross off-stage on occasion and photos may have been taken.

Thanks Steve - I was hoping you would reply. I'm surprised that there isn't any backstage photos. There are the pics of Lennon and Yoko and IRRC, Bowie at one of the MSG 77 shows. You would think they would have taken at least a few of them with Plant at least.

• Administrators

I have a question - Are there any 70's era photos with members of Zeppelin with any of the Beatles?

The only one that comes to mind is the Rockestra photos.

Somewhere around here, I have a personal family photo of John Bonham with Ringo in the South of France in 1976. Ringo had shaved his head.

Thanks Steve - I was hoping you would reply. I'm surprised that there isn't any backstage photos. There are the pics of Lennon and Yoko and IRRC, Bowie at one of the MSG 77 shows. You would think they would have taken at least a few of them with Plant at least.

John & Yoko attending LZ MSG '77...really? Is anyone sure about this? Is there a photo? Though also possible, I don't think David Bowie was there as he & Iggy Pop travelled to Paris that month for promotion of Low, staying at Plaza Athénée Hotel in the Avenue Montaigne with his PR Barbara de Witt.

The only one that comes to mind is the Rockestra photos.

Hi LZ77,

There's better than photos to enjoy : just take a look at this link

These sessions were recorded on October 3, 1978, at Abbey Road Studios and feature John Paul Jones and John Bonham.

There are more complete video of these sessions (around 40 minutes length If I remember) available on Youtube but not in the same awesome quality I'm afraid.

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows about this picture. Firstly, is it real? And if so who is the girl? Thanks.

16764010150095804322978.jpg

http://s182.photobuc...meandjimmyp.jpg

I was looking at this a while back and I actually found her myspace page!

It is real and I creepily saved some of the other pictures she had for future reference.

This is Jimmy and her friend, Irene, a couple years earlier

post-18692-0-86716700-1335160161.jpg

and another one with a friend

post-18692-0-42176400-1335160303.jpg

I'm sorry I can't remember the girl in the photo's name; but I do know that she is a photographer

http://s182.photobuc...meandjimmyp.jpg

I was looking at this a while back and I actually found her myspace page!

It is real and I creepily saved some of the other pictures she had for future reference.

This is Jimmy and her friend, Irene, a couple years earlier

post-18692-0-86716700-1335160161.jpg

and another one with a friend

post-18692-0-42176400-1335160303.jpg

I'm sorry I can't remember the girl in the photo's name; but I do know that she is a photographer

Wow JayCee excellent detective work! He looks amazing in those! And don't worry I'm super creepy for Jimmy too; I save all pictures of him. In fact, I just saved the two you posted! Thank you :)

Edited by april_lynn

$(KGrHqZ,!qUE88fkKScVBP(wbwCITg~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!nME8VV4)pBjBPV54lLGEw~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!lcE9Q2bBDmkBPV54qWrQ!~~60_58.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-YARDBIRDS-live-in-Detroit-UNPUBLISHED-5x7s-matted-shrinkwrap-/190670198223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c64d455cf#ht_926wt_1185

Purported to be taken in Detroit by the seller. Unfortunately, they didn't play in Michigan in 1967 and only at the Grande Ballroom in 1968.

Any thoughts?

$%28KGrHqZ,%21qUE88fkKScVBP%28wbwCITg%7E%7E60_58.JPG

$%28KGrHqF,%21nME8VV4%29pBjBPV54lLGEw%7E%7E60_58.JPG

$%28KGrHqN,%21lcE9Q2bBDmkBPV54qWrQ%21%7E%7E60_58.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/...f#ht_926wt_1185

Purported to be taken in Detroit by the seller. Unfortunately, they didn't play in Michigan in 1967 and only at the Grande Ballroom in 1968.

Any thoughts?

...Additional photo/views of interior of Grande BallRoom October 30, 1968

..links

http://www.onthisdei...zenta-new-year/

http://www.myspace.c...s/photos/434157

...Similar Jacket, photo ...Minniapls..1966 debut ?

http://henripix.tumblr.com/page/2

http://forums.ledzep...y/page__st__120

Edited by PlanetPage

Any thoughts?

I'm looking into this. Here are the initial possibilities:

Aug10, 1966 Manitou Beach, MI Lakeview Park - Green's Pavilion

Nov 18, 1966 Michigan State Fairgrounds - Coliseum "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars" (Two performances)

Nov 19, 1966 Michigan State Fairgrounds - Coliseum "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars" (Two performances)

Nov 20, 1966 Michigan State Fairgrounds - Coliseum "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars" (Two performances)

May 3, 1968 Grande Ballroom The Yardbirds with support from The Frost and The Stuart Avery Assemblage

May 4, 1968 Grande Ballroom The Yardbirds with support from MC5 and Odds & Ends

The photos show the stage is positioned in front of "section G" suggesting a large venue. That rules out Green's Pavilion and the Grande Ballroom (the ceiling doesn't match either of those venues either). However, the ceiling also doesn't match the Coliseum. So I'm left to attempt to match the section seating/ceiling against their other known venues at the time, a very time-consuming task indeed. It was possibly a summer date as none of the attendees seem to have brought a jacket.

Edited by SteveAJones

I sent a question to the eBay sellers and this is what I got.

Yes it's def not the Grande. The slides were from the personal archives of Jeep Holland (A squared Records). He gave me a couple of slides when I worked for him in Boston in the 80's. It's possible that he drove the band to various shows around the Ann Arbor/Detroit area.

He had a great story of driving the Stones around in his station wagon. They were calling him Creep instead of Jeep and he took them on a hellride, swerving and going 100 mph on the highway. He said it was really Brian Jones who was instigating the name calling. That's all I know.

- theeels

It can't be any date in 1966 since Page has the Dragon Tele, although the backdrop does look a bit like pictures I have seen at the Michigan State Fair Coliseum.

It can't be any date in 1966 since Page has the Dragon Tele, although the backdrop does look a bit like pictures I have seen at the Michigan State Fair Coliseum.

Good point on the Dragon Tele. Given the seller's input above I now suspect this was somewhere in the Midwest or Northeast. Not sure what to make the guy in the hat to the right. Doesn't seem to be a police officer but could be a high school marching band member. They played a few high school gymnasiums back then. If he was a military member they did play an armory or two. Still looking into it...

Edited by SteveAJones