Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

The Melbourne Cup is on next Tuesday 4th November.

Still a couple of qualifying races to go until the field of up to 24 runners is finalised.

It's a good value race as the favourite usually pays between $4 - $7, sometimes more.

No clear favourite as yet.

We only have win/place (each way where the win is paid and the place is paid on first, second and third, no show betting), quinella, trifecta, quadrella, superfecta, daily and feature doubles, parlays and all up etc.

There is an online betting agency here in Oz called Tom Waterhouse Betting offering $25 million for a $10 wager if you can pick the first ten finishers in order.

Tom is the son and grandson of Robbie and Bill Waterhouse, bookmakers who were warned off racecourses in the 1980's for the Fine Cotton switch.

His mother Gai trained her first Melbourne Cup winner in 2013, is the daughter of Tommy Smith trained two Melbourne Cup winners.

Please remind me of that event when it draws near. I can watch it on TVG or online. I will no doubt bet that race

TVG just mentioned it. Two great days of racing her at Santa Anita

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Breeders Cup for Friday and Saturday at Santa Anita. You can bet horses to win, place and show. You can play the exotics, where the money is, such as exacta's, trifecta's, pick three, pick 4, daily doubles, etc

Friday

Race 1 (not part of the BC, but I like the trifecta a bit. 1, 6 w 1,5,6,11,13 w 4,12 (.50 cent tri's accepted)

Race 2 Ex 1 w 3,7

Race 3 BC Juvenile Fillies I love the number 4 horse My Fiona

Race 4 8w 6,12 ex

Race 5 11 Damascus Stakes like this horse alot Bahamian Squall

Race 6 4 4 w 1,5,9 BC Juvenile

Race 71 1-8-,3,4,10 Tri BC Juv Turf

Race 8 2, 14 ex box Juv Fillies

Race 9 10 Untapable like this horse alot. BC Distaff

Saturday

Race 1 (123) Tri shot

Race 2 2,6 Juvenile (using in pick 3 or 4)

Race 3 1,3 w 5,7 w 13 Tri part wheel

Race 4 12 over 1,2,3 ex/Tri Juv Fillies

Race 5 9 Paranda like this horse alot in a tough field w 7.8, 10

Race 6 5 Artemis Agroteia B & C F & M Sprint

Race 7 1,15-7 ex

Race 8 1-13 Ex BC Juv

Race 9 3 BC Turf

Race 10 6 Rich Tapestry w 10,12

Race11 2 Obviously and 5 Tornado box BC Mile

Race 12 Breeders Cup Classic 11 Tonalist 13 California Chrome 9 Toast of New York

I will bump this post as I spent time and work on it. Reggie, please remind me of the Melbourne. They were just mentioning it on TVG

I will bump this post as I spent time and work on it. Reggie, please remind me of the Melbourne. They were just mentioning it on TVG

The race is on at 3.00pm AEDST Tuesday 4th November, 12.00am 4th/11 New York time (15 hours behind).

The race is on at 3.00pm AEDST Tuesday 4th November, 12.00am 4th/11 New York time (15 hours behind).

Wow. So midnight here. Thanks. I have the two day double going and if my horse Tonalist wins it will return a measly $13. Terrible payoff. I had the favorite that I thought was just too good and he was.

"It never rains in southern California". Ever heard that song? Well, its pretty true. But it rained less than 3 days according to TVG, an LA based horse wagering channel on Direct TV. They just interviewed Jim Rome who has his horse running in the classic. Shared Belief. I will use the horse in a tri but will try and beat him with Tonalist. A heavy hitter from the East Coast and will use California Chrome.

There are some scratches in the early races due to this rain. The Turf is rated good. No problem for Euro connections at all. May help a horse like Tornado? I am really big on a horse called Artemis Agrotera. Comes in on a roll and is sitting on a "bomb" of a race in my opinion. Not crazy about the rider but this horse has a big shot. 3-1 morning line. A really good card. And I am locked in with Tonalist. But there are no locks in the Classic. They showed most of the Classics going back 30 years. Including the last race Cigar ever ran. He was trying to win two straight Classics. He almost did it. Was beaten by a monster longshot white horse named Alphabet Soup. IMO, Cigar should have been retired after his 13th straight win. Including a win in the Dubai World Cup on the other side of the Globe. Just an incredible career. But since he did not run in or win a Triple Crown race, some do not consider him a super horse. They are full of shit. Easy Goer and Sunday Silence treated us to some real classic battles. The best horse race I ever saw was the Preakness when the two of them hit the wire and battled the entire stretch. Only the hairs on the nose of Sunday Silence got him a win and i do still consider it a dead heat. Easy Goer came back to absolutely destroy Sunday Silence in the Belmont. Once again they would battle in the Classic and SS held off a late charging Easy Goer. If the race was a foot longer, Easy Goer would have won. One of my all time favorite horses.

For those that are wagering, good luck and lets hope all the horses are safely shipped home at day's end

Race starts in 5 minutes on nbc.

A black eye for the sport. HOW IN GOD'S NAME CAN THEY LEAVE THAT HORSE UP? The announcers could not believe it. There was a STEWARDS INQUIRY. The 7 horse that pulled the upset knocked 3 or 4 horses out of the race coming out of the gate. If this race was run at any track on any day other than a multi millions dollar stage it would have been DISQUALIFIED JUSTIFIABLY. The horse caused pure havoc. Caused a friend of mine to lose 8 thousand dollars on the pick 4 by hammering Jim Rome's horse. If anyone can watch JIM ROME'S SHOW THIS WEEK? It will be worth it. He is going to go OFF THE FUCKING RAILS.

It was a nice 10 minute diversion from football. Tough to control a horse out of the gate. I dont think it had as much effect in the outcome as some claimed though.

Oh yes it did Bonger. It had a ton of influence on the outcome and on a normal day that horse comes down.

On another note, starting in race 5 today, the LAST DAY AT SANTA ANITA, THE PICK SIX CARRYOVER IS 1.4 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! nobody won yesterday, oh what a surprise. Get your wallet out and take a shot.

I missed the Melbourne already????

This is terrible but unfortunately it happens on rare occasion. Reggie, I thought you were going to let me know when it ran?

Edited by LedZeppfan77

I missed the Melbourne already????

This is terrible but unfortunately it happens on rare occasion. Reggie, I thought you were going to let me know when it ran?

I did tell you when it was on.

LedZeppfan77, on 01 Nov 2014 - 03:13, said:snapback.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That's so cool that some owners are naming their horses after Zep songs. If I was rich & owned racehorses I think I would do that too!

But I wonder if they had to get permission to use the name as you do if you name a horse after a famous person.

I doubt they would have a way to contact Jimmy Page but I doubt Jimmy would sue them for that. By the way, Battle of Evermore is still running. Did not win yesterday. But still a good horse. Last week a horse named Lemon Song won at a huge price in NY

• 2 weeks later...