It was 20 years ago today,

PeteKleinow

And the world will never be the same. More pro's than con's IMO but a major con would be people, teenagers especially, glued constantly to their PC with no physical activity whatsoever. When I got out of school I couldnt wait to go out and play football, hockey, baseball, basketball. Now its, get online.

It's all about balance.

What about all the people hooked on cellphones? They can't leave home without it.

While I do admit that I usually get on the computer while I have an afterschool snack when I come home I spend time doing other things. Right now it's a bit cold to be outside, but when it's nice I have tennis practice after school then I come home and go on a jog with my dog. Then at least once a week I have a two hour dance class. Not all teenagers sit on the computer all time, but a lot of us do.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years. Seems like it's been around forever. The internet has been a blessing and a curse IMO. I do agree one needs to balance time on the computer with activities and interactions in the physical world so to speak.

i think computers are actually more dangerous for us middle aged folks, cause we have less time to waste.

Are you implying that computer, or online, activity is a waste of time? At least for "middle aged folks"?

I see it as an interest, or a diversion, that can be informative, interesting and fulfilling no matter what age you are. The instant worldwide communication is but only one part of the whole. But that to me is the best part.

And the world will never be the same. More pro's than con's IMO but a major con would be people, teenagers especially, glued constantly to their PC with no physical activity whatsoever. When I got out of school I couldnt wait to go out and play football, hockey, baseball, basketball. Now its, get online.

I've actually grown to hate computers.

B)

When I was a teenager in the early 90's, my Auntie used to be a travel agent, and sometimes I'd muck around on her computer in her office, and I used to think it was brilliant that travel agents could use their computers to, say, check out hotel vacancies in Moscow, and I remember thinking wouldn't it be great if you could check out all sorts of information on the computer. What a pity I didn't know the technical side of things :( I could've been midly rich today

How come?

The main reason being all the problems they have, like viruses, slowing down, not responding, etc. even with high speed.

I think they also take up too much time and take people away from things they SHOULD be doing instead of wasting so much time on silliness. That's why I'll never own another computer and I think it's a good thing to be limited to one hour at our library because it makes you prioritize what you need it for. I usually only go to a couple sites and e mail. But I do like the fact that you can find things you need to get info on. It's great for that.

B)

I think they also take up too much time and take people away from things they SHOULD be doing instead of wasting so much time on silliness. B)

They are addictive aren't they?

The key is multitasking. Be doing something creative or constructive while surfing the internet.

Open many windows and let the breeze blow in.

• 4 weeks later...
Hurray for the congressman that is taking on Time Warner. They are going to start charging by internet usage. $1 pr gigabyte, but it opens the door for more down the road.

I don't think that will fly, that's going backwards when all they had was dial-up.

For myself it's been the greatest thing since french bread :D .

I can do all of my bills and banking in the comfort of my own home.

I've made shit piles of money with the internet as well as saved shit loads of money.

...and then there's beautiful naked women and that makes it worth it B):D

Well At&T is DSL cable right? Time Warner has Road Runner (cable). That is about it unless you want to suffer though dial up. No way Ill ever go back to fucking dial up.

:lol: Yeah I remember when I first bought a PC I used that 6 months free AOHell :angry:

Archived