Queen and Paul Rodgers comes to an end.

Mr E

From planetrock.com

Paul Rodgers says that it is unlikely that he will tour or record again with legendary rock band Queen.

VH1 Classic Radio News reports that the singer, who is about to embark on a ten date US tour with Bad Company, says his parting from the group was completely amicable.

“Well, you know, we did a world tour, we did a second tour of Europe and the Far East and Eastern Europe and we did a studio album and I think we're kind of leaving it there gently. It's out there for us to do things in the future if there's something, a huge charity say like Nelson Mandela, I'm always open to that, but I think we are pretty much done.”

And of the surprisingly small Bad Company tour, he told VH1 that this is purely down to how much he’s toured over the past few years, and NOT, as one bizarre rumour suggested, because of the swine flu problem at the moment.

“Well, you know, I’ve travelled and I’m not worried about stuff like that. I usually find, to be honest with you, that most of those things are exaggerated way out of proportion. You know, I’m not afraid to travel, it’s just I want to be able to focus more on waking up in one place and working on music, I think really, and that’s really the reason. I think next year I’ll probably be touring my brains out.”

Now he's finished with Queen, maybe Jimmy will give him a call? :D

As opposed to so many others, I never saw Rodgers as any sort of replacement for Freddie Mercury. Nor did Queen or Rodgers themselves, that's why they always billed themselves as Queen + Paul Rodgers and they included a great deal of his work in their sets.

As opposed to so many others, I never saw Rodgers as any sort of replacement for Freddie Mercury. Nor did Queen or Rodgers themselves, that's why they always billed themselves as Queen + Paul Rodgers and they included a great deal of his work in their sets.

I would say they had to include Freddie's work in their sets for a number reasons (which don't include paying tribute to him).

How's it going "Jahfin?" I agree with you on this one! No disrespect to Paul Rodgers, I like Paul Rodgers but he cannot even come close to singing Freddie Mercury's high vocal ranges. Freddie Mercury is irreplaceable. The only one that ever came close was George Michael. ROCK ON!

I would say they had to include Freddie's work in their sets for a number reasons (which don't include paying tribute to him).

I was referring to Paul Rodgers works. Didn't they do some Free and Bad Company songs in addition to Queen?

I think Paul Rodgers is a great vocalist - and the remaining members of Queen seem to agree.

Deep Purple thought so too. They wanted him as a replacement for Gillan in '73, but he declined as he was forming Bad Company.

I've always liked Paul Rodgers and Free are one of my favourite bands. How anyone can call him 2nd rate is beyond me.

I've always liked Paul Rodgers and Free are one of my favourite bands. How anyone can call him 2nd rate is beyond me.

Completely agree. When I hear something like that I always think they can't have heard any Free.

Mind you, I don't think he's ever reached the same standard since - particularly not in the lyrics department. ;)

I'm a huge a PR fan and can't wait to see him with Bad Company in June. I'm disappointed that this Queen relationship has ended because I really wanted to see Brian May live. Hopefully, he does a solo tour or something. PR was enjoyable to see at the Ahmet Tribute (strong voice and he seemed to be enjoying the crowd). I also dug his frame guitar. :D

frame01.jpg

Deep Purple thought so too. They wanted him as a replacement for Gillan in '73, but he declined as he was forming Bad Company.

No denying he has a fantastic voice, that's for sure.

I was referring to Paul Rodgers works. Didn't they do some Free and Bad Company songs in addition to Queen?

Oh yes, sorry -- they did do Paul Rodgers' tunes in their sets, both Free and Bad Company era, and of course, newer music that Paul, Brian and Roger had collaborated on.

I'm a huge a PR fan and can't wait to see him with Bad Company in June. I'm disappointed that this Queen relationship has ended because I really wanted to see Brian May live. Hopefully, he does a solo tour or something. PR was enjoyable to see at the Ahmet Tribute (strong voice and he seemed to be enjoying the crowd). I also dug his frame guitar. :D

frame01.jpg

Brian is a very cool guy. I hope that you do get the chance to see him play live someday. :)

And sorry, folks, I feel like I've been the one bummer in this thread. I've just never cared for the Q+PR collaboration. :(

Brian is a very cool guy. I hope that you do get the chance to see him play live someday. :)

And sorry, folks, I feel like I've been the one bummer in this thread. I've just never cared for the Q+PR collaboration. :(

Thanks.

I like Paul Rodgers, I just cringed everytime I heard him do a Queen song. It just doesn't sound right. But then again anyone but Freddy singing most of those songs doesn't sound right.

Archived