Frank Sinatra

SteveAJones

Rhino Newsletter (May 2008)

Top Stories

THE BEST OF FRANK SINATRA Nothing But The Best is exactly what the title says - 22 essential classics from the great Frank Sinatra, including "Come Fly With Me," "Strangers In The Night," "My Way," and a previously unheard version of "Body And Soul." This month the U.S. Postal Service is releasing a commemorative Sinatra stamp, and the new CD will include one with the official U.S.P.S. first-day issue cancellation.

In other Frank Sinatra news, on May 13, Warner Home Video will release 22 Frank Sinatra films, in five fan-pleasing Sinatra collections-including 11 all-new-to-DVD titles. The collections include The Rat Pack Ultimate Collectors Edition with the DVD debut of Sergeants 3 and amazing collectible memorabilia, Frank Sinatra: The Golden Years, Frank Sinatra: The Early Years, the Frank Sinatra And Gene Kelly Collection and Sinatra: The Miniseries, which documents his incredible life and features his own singing and some astonishing personal revelations.

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will also honor Sinatra with a month-long festival of films and music specials airing Sundays and Wednesdays throughout the month of May. The Wednesday presentations will be hosted by his children: Nancy, Tina, and Frank, Jr. For complete schedule visit www.tcm.com

I actually went to a Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin concert with my grandmother, aunt, and cousin - in the '70s! :bagoverhead: My aunt has been a lifelong Sinatra fan - similar to the way that I've been a Zep fan. Unfortunately, at that time, I didn't appreciate what I was seeing.

Frank had phenomenal phrasing and timing as a vocalist, and after Ava Gardner broke his heart, no one sung of the loneliness of a long night better. He was by no means a rocker, but was one hell of an entertainer.

Agreed. His voice was, in my opinion, beautiful and emotive. It took me a long time to appreciate it. My aunt told me that, in her day, the girls went crazy for Sinatra in the same way that my generation went crazy when the Zep guys performed.

Agreed. His voice was, in my opinion, beautiful and emotive. It took me a long time to appreciate it. My aunt told me that, in her day, the girls went crazy for Sinatra in the same way that my generation went crazy when the Zep guys performed.

Yes, indeed. When he started out as a crooner he was King of the bobby-soxers (young girls). As a consequence, his career stalled briefly at one point, but his natural talent and determination led him back to popular acclaim and success for several decades.

Yes, indeed. When he started out as a crooner he was King of the bobby-soxers (young girls). As a consequence, his career stalled briefly at one point, but his natural talent and determination led him back to popular acclaim and success for several decades.

Steve, thanks for that information about Sinatra. :) My aunt still has her scrapbook of Sinatra memorabilia.

Rhino Newsletter (May 2008)

Top Stories

THE BEST OF FRANK SINATRA Nothing But The Best is exactly what the title says - 22 essential classics from the great Frank Sinatra, including "Come Fly With Me," "Strangers In The Night," "My Way," and a previously unheard version of "Body And Soul." This month the U.S. Postal Service is releasing a commemorative Sinatra stamp, and the new CD will include one with the official U.S.P.S. first-day issue cancellation.

In other Frank Sinatra news, on May 13, Warner Home Video will release 22 Frank Sinatra films, in five fan-pleasing Sinatra collections-including 11 all-new-to-DVD titles. The collections include The Rat Pack Ultimate Collectors Edition with the DVD debut of Sergeants 3 and amazing collectible memorabilia, Frank Sinatra: The Golden Years, Frank Sinatra: The Early Years, the Frank Sinatra And Gene Kelly Collection and Sinatra: The Miniseries, which documents his incredible life and features his own singing and some astonishing personal revelations.

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will also honor Sinatra with a month-long festival of films and music specials airing Sundays and Wednesdays throughout the month of May. The Wednesday presentations will be hosted by his children: Nancy, Tina, and Frank, Jr. For complete schedule visit www.tcm.com

Ah, I was wondering why they were showing so many of his films, other than the 10th anniversary of his death. I wasn't aware of the new releases. Thanks for the info.

My mom was one of those bobby soxers and fainted the first time she saw Frank. When I was growing up I didn't care for the majority of my parents' music but I as I got older I grew to appreciate it. That includes Hank Williams, Sr., Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn and of course ol' blue eyes himself. I was responsible for the music at my mother's funeral and made sure some Frank was included. I've Got the World On a String ended everything on a very upbeat note, something I feel like she and my father would have appreciated.

Scorsese to direct Sinatra biopic

By BRUCE KIRKLAND -- Sun Media

Martin Scorsese will direct a major biopic about the life of Frank Sinatra, according to film producer Tina Sinatra, Sinatra's youngest daughter.

But it will not be a Sinatra version of GoodFellas, Scorsese's gangster classic.

Instead, the combative singer-actor, who did socialize with crime figures, will be shown as innocent of any true involvement with the Mafia or other gangsters.

"Marty has always wanted to do this," Sinatra told Sun Media during a phone interview from Los Angeles.

Sinatra, who also produced the 1992 mini-series, Sinatra, said Scorsese is in a reflective period and is willing to present the truth about her father, who died on May 14, 1998.

That means dismissing scurrilous rumours that Sinatra was a stooge for the Mafia, Tina Sinatra said. Borrowing a metaphor from her father's own words, Sinatra said, "He never drove the getaway car." So, in the forthcoming Universal Pictures film, "I don't want him to be driving the getaway car. That would not be fair. But I trust him (Scorsese) implicitly."

Sinatra admitted it is premature to officially announce Scorsese for the biopic. Initially, she referred to the director as "the most prominent Italian-American filmmaker" working today in Hollywood.

When Sun Media guessed Francis Ford Coppola, she said: "We adore him but he didn't step up to it."

When Scorsese's name followed, Sinatra offered this: "I can't tell you yet but you're warmer."

Laughing, Sinatra later confirmed it was Scorsese. "You'll be reading about it very soon ... oh, go ahead and print it, I don't care!"

A Scorsese biopic of Frank Sinatra has the potential to be an epic film. I happen to think

Goodfellas is one of the greatest films ever made. Sinatra's life was filled with characters

who were equally colorful. Sounds very promising indeed.

My mom was one of those bobby soxers and fainted the first time she saw Frank. When I was growing up I didn't care for the majority of my parents' music but I as I got older I grew to appreciate it. That includes Hank Williams, Sr., Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn and of course ol' blue eyes himself. I was responsible for the music at my mother's funeral and made sure some Frank was included. I've Got the World On a String ended everything on a very upbeat note, something I feel like she and my father would have appreciated.

That is a sweet and touching story about your mom. I didn't faint when I first saw the Zep guys but I do remember feeling woozy and weak-kneed so I know how your mom must have felt when she first saw Sinatra. "I've Got the World on a String" was a great choice of music for her funeral. May your mom rest in peace.

Frank had phenomenal phrasing and timing as a vocalist, and after Ava Gardner broke his heart, no one sung of the loneliness of a long night better. He was by no means a rocker, but was one hell of an entertainer.

He oozed class when he was onstage...a real presence. As a kid I can remember my parents and they're friends spending many an evening taking turns singing Sinatra songs , amoung other's.

Jimmy was also a fan of Sintatra, having used his private box at the Royal Albert Hall to see him perform during the week of Sep 15-20 1980 and again with Peter Grant in 1988

for the Rat Pack Reunion Tour.

Well, that's an interesting bit of information. If I had known that back when I accompanied my aunt to the Sinatra concert, I might not have felt as reluctant and ashamed as I did.

I took my parents to see Sinatra at the Royal Albert Hall in 1992. His voice was not what it was but still very good - and it was a thrill to be present. The set list from that night was:

Come Fly With Me

You Make Me Feel So Young

Strangers In The Night

For Once In My Life

Come Rain Or Come Shine

I’ve Got You Under My Skin

My Heart Stood Still

I Get A Kick Out Of You

What Now, My Love?

Soliloquy

Mack The Knife

Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry

My Way

Summer Wind

(Theme from) New York, New York

The Voice.

I remember seeing a television special on CBS about him many years ago; he could just knock songs out like one wouldn't believe unless one ever had the pleasure to see, and on the first take, as well (yes, first take in the studio). Sinatra didn't mess around, no sir. I saw that the new stuff was in the Coming Soon (or whatever) category at Barnes & Noble just recently. It's hard to believe he's been gone ten years tomorrow (it's the 13th where I am). The day he died I had just come back from an awards ceremony at school and heard the news; I was pretty upset. It was a Thursday, and also the night the last episode of Seinfeld aired. I remember certain things about the day very clearly.

Archived