Hagar to hit studio with new supergroup

Hagar to hit studio with new supergroup

By Gregory Bonnell

TORONTO - Sammy Hagar has a new supergroup that includes a virtuoso guitarist and a fellow Van Halen alumnus, but fans eager to see the so-called Red Rocker sing alongside the six-string hero he's most famously associated with shouldn't hold their breath.

It seems a peace settlement in the war of wills between Hagar and Eddie Van Halen could be years away, if it arrives at all.

"I love Eddie, but we don't love each other," Hagar said during an interview Thursday.

"I heard that he got cleaned up again. Hopefully he stays that way and doesn't die, because before we both die we have to be friends again.

"But like I said, people have to be level-headed and have to be healthy before you can settle a feud."

Eddie Van Halen's battles with drug and alcohol addiction are legend, marring past shows with Hagar and delaying the start last year of a reunion tour with original singer, and Hagar's predecessor, David Lee Roth.

Instead of waiting for that friendship to be repaired, Hagar has teamed with acclaimed guitarist Joe Satriani, Red Hot Chili Pepper drummer Chad Smith, and former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony. The group, code-named Chickenfoot, will enter the recording studio just before Labour Day.

"We've written eight, nine songs. We just got to go in the studio Sept. 1," Hagar said.

"When people hear the music, it's Led Zeppelin. It's as good as that. I know that's a mighty bold statement... We could rival Zep."

Hagar, 60, stills looks remarkably like he did during his time with Van Halen - suntanned and goateed with that trademark mop of curly blonde hair.

Halen fans are no doubt familiar with the song "Cabo Wabo", a track from the multi-platinum 1988 album "OU812" that sang the virtues of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Hagar's love of all that is Cabo has seen him open cantinas bearing the name, and now he's spending the summer selling Cabo Wabo Tequila.

The brand, with its origins in Hagar's desire to serve a local, high-end tequila at his cantina in Cabo San Lucas, grew over the years, eventually gaining recognition and robust sales in the United States. Last year, Hagar sold an 80 per cent stake in the company to multinational spirits company Campari for a reported US$80 million.

"It wasn't planned. All this happened step by step. Every time I turned around there was a new opportunity for it," Hagar said.

"Everyone thought it was a gimmick. It's an expensive tequila (a 750 ml bottle retails for $71.20 in Canada). They thought, what does this guy know about premium tequila?"

Apparently Hagar has even convinced bassist Anthony, who was known for drinking Jack Daniels whisky straight from the bottle onstage during his Van Halen years, to quaff his tequila while performing.

The two have remained close, and perform together often, since the Hagar incarnation of Halen finally folded after a reunion in the late 1990s.

When the band reunited last year to tour with original singer David Lee Roth, Anthony was replaced by Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang.

Although it's "great that they finally did the reunion with Dave," Hagar said he had no desire to take in the show.

"Mikey should have been there. It's ridiculous," he said.

"(Seeing the show) just wouldn't interest me in the least, all the hoopla and all that around something without it being the original."

As for the Van Halen vs. Van Hagar debate, Hagar is content to let the fans choose their favourite and listen to the old recordings.

"I'm really not interested in being in that band right now. I'm so much more interested in our little Chickenfoot project," Hagar said.

"To me that's 10 times Van Halen, because it's functional, we all like each other."

"I'm really not interested in being in that band right now. I'm so much more interested in our little Chickenfoot project," Hagar said.

Since a great deal of the article seems to deal with how he doesn't want to be in Van Halen right now my impression of Hagar is the exact opposite. It's like when Page went off with Coverdale and the Crowes when Plant wouldn't come out to play.

^^ The ten dollar concert ticket.....ahhh...those were the days. You could see the up and comers for between 6.00 - 7.50.

Damn you Eagles!

Yep, that summer of '94 when the Eagles reformed and toured, their tickets topped $100 for their show here in Detroit at old Tiger Stadium. That same summer, I saw Pink Floyd at the Pontiac Silverdome, and we got good seats for $35 each. That same show today would be well over $100.

Yep, that summer of '94 when the Eagles reformed and toured, their tickets topped $100 for their show here in Detroit at old Tiger Stadium. That same summer, I saw Pink Floyd at the Pontiac Silverdome, and we got good seats for $35 each. That same show today would be well over $100.

FLOYD77.jpg

Floyd $10.00

Paid $75 for the Eagles in 94 but only $7.50 in 1975

Back OT here for a minute:

I get that comparing your band to Led Zeppelin is a good way to generate buzz and get people talking(like Oasis comparing themselves to the Beatles back when) but...seriously, Micheal Anthony?!?! That guy never played anything that wasn't a root or a fifth and that's fine in the context of Van Halen; it's what that band needed, but to compare that style of player with a guy like John Paul Jones is just bizarre. The more I think about it the wierder it is. And Chad Smith plays way on top of the beat, which is fine for his style, but is he gonna start snorting smack and all of a sudden lay waaaay back on some sick ass groove Bonham style?

Ok, now the more I think of it I am really curious, I would have never picked those guys for a lineup in a million years. Dare I say excited? I'm not really a fan of any of them but I gotta wonder what it'll sound like.

And is Sammy Hagar really 60? Damn, he looks and sounds great. the few times I saw VH it was with Hagar and although I never liked him in VH, he was the only one working on the stage. The other guys looked and sounded like they could not have cared less. Sammy was a class act and worked his ass off on that stage.

I liked him solo and with Montrose though so who knows?

joe satriani is a baaaad mofo, though.....lot's more funk than a steve vai. chad smith is a bit under-appreciated on the stool but i've seen the peppers several times and he's always in the groove.

i tell you what-i've seen dlr/van halen and van hagar both and joe satriani....on a good night, he can smoke evh like a half-burnt cheroot in a gasoline fire.

• 1 year later...

I have heard some of the songs and found it boring. It's cliched rock n roll. Hagar actually uses the line about wanting to be some woman's "hoochie coochie man". How original. It's 2009. How about something deeper.

I've been listening to the album for a few days. I like it...

I've read a review on allmusic.com, that said at one point: Satch always seems to want to burst out but can't help leaning on precision, a problem that's the polar opposite to Hagar's let-it-all-hang-out philosophy. I personally find this kind of interesting, it creates a nice contrast.

I think that the whole album was all about having a good time, and the boys seemed (and seem) to have it.

Oh btw, that same review stated that there's too much professionalism for this to be a trainwreck but the whole thing is rather laborious, with everybody working far too hard to have a good time, a remark I disagree with. I just can't see that. I think this could have been much more laborious, but they didn't want it to be.

I have heard some of the songs and found it boring. It's cliched rock n roll. Hagar actually uses the line about wanting to be some woman's "hoochie coochie man". How original. It's 2009. How about something deeper.

Aw, c'mon Spats! Does everything have to be so serious with you? :lol:

It's just fun music. Loosen up and enjoy! I don't care if it's 3009. :rolleyes:

I don't mind clishé rock'n'roll, but this is not very good.. I do like some songs by Satriani, but Satriani and rock'n'roll is a mis-match in my opinion.. And again, the drum sound is really crappy. Ah, what the hell, I've never been a fan of Hagar either.. LOL But if people like, it's fine with me.

Archived