Rumor from Detroit

Detroit Dan

On Oct. 9th The Detroit Redwings will raise the Stanely Cup banner at their first home game of the season. At a venue nearby (Fox Theater) the game will be on the big screen. Def Leppard will perform live after the game. There will be a special guest via satellite. The rumor that Zep is the guest was somewhat confirmed in a radio interview with a Def Leppard member.

Hi. I'm new here. :thanku:

On Oct. 9th The Detroit Redwings will raise the Stanely Cup banner at their first home game of the season. At a venue nearby (Fox Theater) the game will be on the big screen. Def Leppard will perform live after the game. There will be a special guest via satellite. The rumor that Zep is the guest was somewhat confirmed in a radio interview with a Def Leppard member.

Hi. I'm new here. :thanku:

Live via satellite??? Doesn't sound right to me... at least not the full Zep lineup.

Oh... welcome to the forum!

Care to define "somewhat confirmed" ?

I'll try. About 4 weeks ago Jason Bonham was in town with Foreigner. What a great concert that was. They played an extended version of Juke Box Hero that broke into some Whole Lot of Love. they also played a bit of Kashmir. I think it was Bonhams last gig with Foreigner. That afternoon he was on WCSX radio being interviewd with, Ken Calvert. (local DJ) All he would say was that he was ready to move on. OK no big secret. Then last week Ken Calvert is doing a radio interview with a def Leppard member. (Don't know which one) They were talking about a very special satallite performance on the big screen, Ken calvert said something about Zeppelin. The Def Leppard guy did not confirm or deny. But by the tone of their voices I could tell that they both knew it was so.

I'll see if I can find a link to the interview.

I'll see if I can find a link to the interview.

The interview was with Philip Collen and can be heard here:

http://www.wcsx.com/podcast/interviews/

or

http://gdrg.net/wcsx/2008_09defleppinterview.mp3

NHL Face Off Rocks 2008

Fox Theater Detroit, MI

October 9th 2008

Watch the Detroit Red Wings hockey game and then a performance by Def Leppard

Tickets $35 & $45

JJ asks Philip if the soon to be announced special guest performing live via satellite wouldn't happen to be "a band from the UK currently performing with a different lead singer than they became famous with...I know they have reassembled that unit but that's just a guess on my part". Phil said "we have no clue who it is...you know what, your filling me in cause that's the first I've heard".

To me, JJ's tone of voice is smarmy, and Philip sounds as if he's politely going along.

I like JJ (met him actually when Robert visited the GM World Headquarters and gave

an interview) but I think he's just pulling our legs on this one. My hunch is it'll be an

act with local connections...perhaps someone like Ted Nugent, Bob Seger or Kid Rock.

^^^ That second link is it. After hearing it a second time. It's very elusive, but keep in mind it's the same DJ that had a long interview with Jason Bonham.

JJ (and Lynne) were also among the very few American radio hosts who attended the 02 event and broadcast their morning show live from London. I just don't think this is

the right event for Jimmy to launch the group, although Detroit is a major music market.

The interview was with Philip Collen and can be heard here:

http://www.wcsx.com/podcast/interviews/

or

http://gdrg.net/wcsx/2008_09defleppinterview.mp3

[

JJ asks Philip if the soon to be announced special guest performing live via satellite wouldn't happen to be "a band from the UK currently performing with a different lead singer than they became famous with...I know they have reassembled that unit but that's just a guess on my part". Phil said "we have no clue who it is...you know what, your filling me in cause that's the first I've heard".

Maybe it's Queen+Paul Rodgers.

JJ (and Lynne) were also among the very few American radio hosts who attended the 02 event and broadcast their morning show live from London. I just don't think this is

the right event for Jimmy to launch the group, although Detroit is a major music market.

Detroits rock market is huge as ever, I can assure you. I'd love them to kickstart it here.

Got to agree with you on this. Detroit is a major music market and gonzo about hockey, but hockey is small peanuts in the USA. If they were going to choose a sporting event to showcase, there's only one that could satisfy that and it's held on the first Sunday in February. Which to me, would be ideal to kick off a tour. It's been in the back of my mind since the O2 concert.

Archived