Where did Zeppelin stay in Vancouver?

marmorek

I'm honoured that Zeppelin started a few of their tours in my lovely home city, but I don't really know anything about what went on here besides the shows themselves (and the Bring It On Home recording). I'd love to know more about Zeppelin's Vancouver history.

Does anyone here know what hotel they stayed at (or any other interesting bits of Vancouver-related Zeppelin trivia)?

It's my understanding that they stayed at the Bayshore Inn. Outside of the Hotel Vancouver, it was a pretty swanky place in it's day. Boat cruises as well for that trip to Keates Island. I know when they were here in 75 they partied down at an old nightclub called Oil Can Harry's that used to be located at Thurlow and Alberni. Great club in it's day.

According to Jimmy, on May 10th 1969 (in-between the gigs in Edmonton and Vancouver) there was a studio session for second album to record harmonica tracks at "a hut". I do

not have the studio name confirmed and note that in 1977, Jimmy said they went there to record vocal overdubs, so there are some minor inconsistencies in his recollections as to

what they did at what he called "a hut".

According to Jimmy, on May 10th 1969 (in-between the gigs in Edmonton and Vancouver) there was a studio session for second album to record harmonica tracks at "a hut". I do

not have the studio name confirmed and note that in 1977, Jimmy said they went there to record vocal overdubs, so there are some minor inconsistencies in his recollections as to

what they did at what he called "a hut".

Perhaps it was a quonset hut?

http://www.scottymoore.net/mhofm.html

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-10-1969

It's my understanding that they stayed at the Bayshore Inn. Outside of the Hotel Vancouver, it was a pretty swanky place in it's day. Boat cruises as well for that trip to Keates Island. I know when they were here in 75 they partied down at an old nightclub called Oil Can Harry's that used to be located at Thurlow and Alberni. Great club in it's day.

Page and Plant certainly stayed at the Westin Bayshore in 1998. Robert also ate at Rain City Grill, if you know it? ( If its still there). (I know this is an SAJ level of detail which is normally not my style but its just something I remembered. :peace: )

Oh and less thrilling for you is the fact that when Jimmy stayed there for the recording of Coverdale/Pge he said it was one of the most depressing places he had ever spent time in.

Personally speaking I love it there. Beautiful place.

Page and Plant certainly stayed at the Westin Bayshore in 1998. Robert also ate at Rain City Grill, if you know it? ( If its still there). (I know this is an SAJ level of detail which is normally not my style but its just something I remembered. :peace: )

Oh and less thrilling for you is the fact that when Jimmy stayed there for the recording of Coverdale/Pge he said it was one of the most depressing places he had ever spent time in.

Personally speaking I love it there. Beautiful place.

The appropriately named Raincity Grill is still there Knebby . Given the time of year ( late fall ) that Jimmy was here recording, it may explain why he found it so depressing. Most of us do :D The picture of Jimmy and Robert on Keats Island has alway's intrigued me. I was not aware untill recent years that they had been there but back in the late 60's and early 70's it was hippie heaven. Only accessible by private boat. Beautiful little island on the way to the sunshine coast

mamorek, try to google Hippowest Music and go to their My Space ad. This is the former Mushroom Studios. If you read down in the write up it states that some harmonica on Zep II was recorded there but as we all know, no credits were given on the album. It also gives you the full history of the studio

I'm lovin' it, Knebby!

Mamorek, feel free to pm me if there's something that comes to mind. I have to admit that I do need my memory jogged just a touch these day's :D but I'd be more than happy to relate what i can to you. I never chased the band, so to speak but as Vancouver was such a small city at the time, it was not hard to get info from friends who happened to be a little older than me and were legally into the nightlife scene in those day's. I got in once in a while if those guy's vouched for me. The Penthouse, Oil Cans, Pharohs. All places of reconing in those day's. Concert wise, that's another thing all together. I can tell you about 70 on in terms of being there. Actually have plans to hook up with some of the older boy's who were there from 68. We keep losing them and a jam is long over due.They still hang about in your part of town which is the same part of town that I grew up in. Unless you've moved of course. Maybe a meet up is in order. Your buying of course :D

Actually have plans to hook up with some of the older boy's who were there from 68. We keep losing them and a jam is long over due.They still hang about in your part of town which is the same part of town that I grew up in. Unless you've moved of course. Maybe a meet up is in order. Your buying of course :D

Led Zeppelin Fan Club (Vancouver Chapter)! Let's do it sometime. I'd definitely love to do some Zeppelin jamming with some of the other musicians here.

Led Zeppelin Fan Club (Vancouver Chapter)! Let's do it sometime. I'd definitely love to do some Zeppelin jamming with some of the other musicians here.

Let me get on that. As I said, we've lost a few in recent years and one in particular just a couple of months ago. I know the guy's have jammed off and on for a number of years. It's just about having some fun and not all Zep. I'll get in touch with them this week and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Your still buying though :D

Let me get on that. As I said, we've lost a few in recent years and one in particular just a couple of months ago. I know the guy's have jammed off and on for a number of years. It's just about having some fun and not all Zep. I'll get in touch with them this week and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Your still buying though :D

I can't buy you anything, I'm under 19! B)

I can't buy you anything, I'm under 19! B)

Well, now that I know that , I wouldn't let you. :D No problem. As I said, you can alway's pm if you have any questions

Archived