What is the deal with Robert?

ludwigking

There are a lot of threads about this. But, think back 30 years, do you want to do what you were doing then? I mean, the same job. Robert is not our stereo, we can't put what we want on. He is just in a different place musically, Jimmy and the boys accept that so why can't the fans? Jimmy isn't bitter, in fact he wished him luck with Allison.

NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED, WHY IS IT THEN THAT ROBERT WAS THE ONE THAT ORIGINALLY PUSHED TO DO THE O2 SHOW???????

I don't remember more than that Page wanted to do much more than one concert, while Plant said he can only work in LZ when what they are is "true", or something along those lines. Sadly Plant obviously didn't feel the Zep was "true" anymore after that one concert. So well, I can accept Plant knows what he's doing and I respect his choices, but still I must admit I feel baffled as well.

And about the musical differences; I wonder If they really are that huge. They could always compromise if that was the only problem.

NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED, WHY IS IT THEN THAT ROBERT WAS THE ONE THAT ORIGINALLY PUSHED TO DO THE O2 SHOW???????

Robert did the show to pay tribute to Ahmet Ertegun and help raise funds for the charity his wife set up in Ahmet's name. His intentions were only to do a one-off. I'm not sure why that's confusing. Robert did it, had a great time but he's into other things now. Has nothing to do with how he feels about Zep - I think he's incredibly proud of it but Robert has always been about exploring new musical grounds and not doing the same thing over and over.

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, JIMMY IS VERY BITTER!!!!

First of all, please don't type in all caps. It represents yellings and it very hard to read.

Second, Robert felt that they owed it to Ahmet. He wanted to try and repay Ahmet for all he did for Robert and for Zeppelin.

Last, and certainly not least, Jimmy said publicly that he was happy for Robert and wished him luck. Jimmy didn't have to say anything at all, but he did. You aren't Jimmy or his spokes person. Why can't you accepted what has been said publicly?

Robert has moved on. Time for you to do the same.
Do you really think that singing old country stuff means to move on? Not to talk about the Plant -Krauss versions of Zep songs, did you hear Black Dog? It is orrible, they took away the backbone of the song, that fantastic odd time groove written by Jonesy.

I don't think it's his limitations that's keeping him from joining JP/JPJ/JB--

however, I DO think that this topic has reached the extent of its limitations, exhausted its possibilities, passed its sell-by date, outlived its shelf-life, used up its interest-value, come to the end of its natural life-span, reached its natural conclusion, surpassed the boundaries of human tolerance, and so on.

Do you really think that singing old country stuff means to move on? Not to talk about the Plant -Krauss versions of Zep songs, did you hear Black Dog? It is orrible, they took away the backbone of the song, that fantastic odd time groove written by Jonesy.

At least I like what Robert is doing with Krauss very much, but still find it hard to give up the hope that LZ might regroup one day. After 02 all seemed pleased about the concert, Page was enthusiastic to tour much more, though Plant told the Sunday Times that; "The whole idea of being a cavalcade of merciless repetition is not what it (LZ) is all about" and that "It wouldn't be such a bad idea to play together from time to time".

So... isn't the problem basically about inability to compromise? Also, I don't think it's any wonder if some Zep Heads have trouble adjusting to the current situation since Page and Jonesy haven't said anything definitive yet, but seem to have spent a long time waiting for Plant to change his mind.

Robert is one of those people that constantly churns out new things. He is always changing. No one knows what he is going to come out with next, and sometimes I wonder if he even knows. His processes seems to be very spur of the moment, but I think that's a good thing. He is up for a lot of things, as long as the timing is right. Everyone should just give it time.

however, I DO think that this topic has reached the extent of its limitations, exhausted its possibilities, passed its sell-by date, outlived its shelf-life, used up its interest-value, come to the end of its natural life-span, reached its natural conclusion, surpassed the boundaries of human tolerance, and so on.

Agreed. I will be the first to admit that I thought Robert was making a mistake not being a part of this proposed project but hind sight has given me a different view of the situation at hand. Call it or me whatever you wish but sometimes we just don't see the forest for the trees and I know I may have been guilty of that. Either way, there is plenty more to come in one shape or form and I will be happy to hear and hopefully see whatever that is

Do you really think that singing old country stuff means to move on? Not to talk about the Plant -Krauss versions of Zep songs, did you hear Black Dog? It is horrible, they took away the backbone of the song, that fantastic odd time groove written by Jonesy.

It wouldn't have made sense to play Black Dog the way it was originally recorded in the context of the Raising Sand tour. Besides, Robert has always rearranged not only the Zep tunes, but his own songs (29 Palms a la Strange Sensation is vastly different from the 93 live versions for example). It's part of what Robert is about - changing, rearranging, exploring the new.

You are free to think whatever you choose. Fact is, Robert has stated he is unable (nor does he wish) to play the part of his former self, as far as being the lead singer for Led Zeppelin. He does not no who that person is anymore. His words. It also ends this topic that most dread, yet for some reason, cannot handle the truth.

Yes, oui, si and fucking sayonara.

The Energizer Bunny from hell topic...

You are free to think whatever you choose. Fact is, Robert has stated he is unable (nor does he wish) to play the part of his former self, as far as being the lead singer for Led Zeppelin. He does not no who that person is anymore. His words. It also ends this topic that most dread, yet for some reason, cannot handle the truth.

If he does not know who that person was, how does he know who he is now? One constant remains; another weird version of the truth is likely to emerge as the journey continues.

If he does not know who that person was, how does he know who he is now? One constant remains; another weird version of the truth is likely to emerge as the journey continues.

You'd have to ask him that. He is the person who stated it.

I don't think he literally meant he doesn't know who that person was but more in the sense that he isn't the same as he was 30 years ago and it's not something he can go back to.

I'm not the same person I was but that doesn't mean I don't know who I am now. It's about growing and evolving rather than staying stuck in the past.

I don't think he literally meant he doesn't know who that person was but more in the sense that he isn't the same as he was 30 years ago and it's not something he can go back to.

I'm not the same person I was but that doesn't mean I don't know who I am now. It's about growing and evolving rather than staying stuck in the past.

He obviously enjoy's LZ music because he still performs it but he wants the arrangements, pace and decibel levels to correspond to his current state of mind.

The ideal compromise would be for Robert, Jimmy, JPJ and Jason to tour and due nothing but Union Station tunes. Conversely, AK and U.S. should turn up the volume and tour doing ZEP only. This way the Robert haters will get to see their fallen hero back with the boy's again and the AK haters will have a new found respect when she belts out The Lemon Song....errrr, that might not be appropriate. For Your Life...yeah, that's it.

Archived