Kashmir

In My Time of Dying

The Wanton Song

Trampled Underfoot

In 1977 they added:

Ten Years Gone

Black Country Woman

The Rover (intro)

So it cannot be said they didn't play much from PG in 1975!! Although they gave up on The Wanton Song too quickly...

Good point!

When I see someone wearing one of the reproduction black 1977 tour T-shirts, I go up to them and say "I have one exactly like that at home, but mine came from one of the 1977 shows."

1977 Veteran; April 20, Cincinnati, Ohio

I still have my original black 77 Swan Song shirt, actually I gave it to my daughter about 5 years ago. The sleeves have turned brown!

Looks like we were at the same shows. B)

• 1 month later...
Judging by the last paragraph, ie "Played shows in July and August," I'd say this was written sometime before the Oakland shows. Cool find though.

........from the Inside Table of Contents........

Rock November 1977, Vol.2 No. 6

"Rock is published bi-monthly by National Newsstand publications Inc..........

I understand when the magazine was published but its possible the article was written in the summer and was backlogged until its November release. Why would they print such inaccuracies about Zeppelin 3 months after the tour abruptly ended?

I will say this again. I think 77 stands out because Physical Graffitti and Presence were out. The earlier tours though absolutely great and fantastic, didnt have material from Graffitti like Kashmir. To me, Graffitti is tied for their second best with II. Second only to the almighty and greatest album ever made by humans, IV. Of course I saw them in 77, and I wouldnt have traded it for anything.

They never really did a lot from Presence Nobody's Fault But Mine and Achilles are the only 2 songs they played. They did play some Physical Graffiti but they had already played all the songs from Physical Graffiti at one time or another before 77 except for Ten Years Gone.

As Strider has pointed out, the band had never heavily promoted their tours wth merchandise before 1977.

Fact is, for 1977 tour.... the only official merchandise I remember being on sale were the Swan Song T-Shirts and the Tour Program (which wasn't that big a deal...).

Led_Zeppelin_1977_Black_Shirt2.jpg

All other '77 merchandise has been created after the fact.

The '77 Tour t-shirt has become iconic. To the general public... the '77 t-shirt is special.

I perfer the official 1975 t-shirt, which bty, at the 1975 concerts, was avialable only in a white version. I don't remember any official tour shirts being sold before 1975. I did not choose to buy the '77 shirt on the '77 tour.

I remember other bands before 1977, having more merchandise at their concerts than Zeppelin did.

IF, the band had wanted to go heavy into merchandise at their concerts and otherwise....

That surely would have added lots of money to their accounts. I suspect that Zeppelin merchandise sales would have out stripped other bands sales, easily....

But, Zeppelin were NEVER all about the money.....

Music and performing were the primary thing.

I understand when the magazine was published but its possible the article was written in the summer and was backlogged until its November release. Why would they print such inaccuracies about Zeppelin 3 months after the tour abruptly ended?

....I posted the info. just for the record...

More or less the first concert I ever saw with programs and T-shirts for sale was Zeppelin in 1977. Before that tour I recall about the only souvenir one could get from a concert was a ticket stub (and maybe a bootleg). From '78 onward every other touring band in the world learned they could make just as much money from merchandize sold at a concert as from the gate receipts, or at least ALMOST as much money. Led Zep blazed the trail and all the second tier bands followed suit.

Maybe when Grant was bitching at the promoter in Madison Square Garden in 1973 about unauthorized merchandize planted a seed in his head---if it hadn't been planted long before. "Bleedin' hell, I'm leaving money on the table when there's a demand for this stuff. Let's authorize some quality souvenirs and pocket another million pounds."

I'm starting another thread about other aspects of the tour called The REAL 1977 Tour. I invite you to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

what's funny is that while you guys are discussing ALS in 77, I ran across this rare front row video of the MSG performance in NYC 1977. I don't know how the hell he got a hold of this footage, but I think it captures the thunderous raw energy of being at a Zep concert surrounded by a bunch of other people. Which is something you can't get from a soundboard. I'd don't know if you guys have seen it befor, but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbCZ5qgOfyY

what's funny is that while you guys are discussing ALS in 77, I ran across this rare front row video of the MSG performance in NYC 1977. I don't know how the hell he got a hold of this footage, but I think it captures the thunderous raw energy of being at a Zep concert surrounded by a bunch of other people. Which is something you can't get from a soundboard. I'd don't know if you guys have seen it befor, but here it is.

Never seen that! Thanks. Poor Page, he breaks a string at around 5:20 and by 5:50 he's strapped on another guitar, and the E string is way the hell out of tune and stays that way for the remainder of the song....the guitar tech must have caught hell for that.

Other than that, and the camera staying on Plant (in the dark) during the 1st guitar solo,

I really like this, it definitely has some cool moments.

For myself the entire year of 1977 was special to me. Within weeks of leaving Highschool and turning 18 I was seeing, hearing, feeling the "Magic" that was, is and always will be-

Led Zeppelin :D ...and just to give you an idea how much bigger the 77 tour could have been.

I had tickets to the July 77 show at the Superdome in New Orleans where they canceled

3 days before showtime when Robert's son pass away.

It was reported that with the 3 days to go, they had already sold 95,000+ tickets. :blink:

They would have set a new indoor attendance record :o

More or less the first concert I ever saw with programs and T-shirts for sale was Zeppelin in 1977. Before that tour I recall about the only souvenir one could get from a concert was a ticket stub (and maybe a bootleg). From '78 onward every other touring band in the world learned they could make just as much money from merchandize sold at a concert as from the gate receipts, or at least ALMOST as much money. Led Zep blazed the trail and all the second tier bands followed suit.

I've still got a program from a Dylan concert I went to in 1966 (as well as the Bath 1970 program). But I agree the merchandizing wasn't on the scale it grew into later--programs were pretty much all you could buy in those early days.

For myself the entire year of 1977 was special to me. Within weeks of leaving Highschool and turning 18 I was seeing, hearing, feeling the "Magic" that was, is and always will be-

Led Zeppelin :D ...and just to give you an idea how much bigger the 77 tour could have been.

I had tickets to the July 77 show at the Superdome in New Orleans where they canceled

3 days before showtime when Robert's son pass away.

It was reported that with the 3 days to go, they had already sold 95,000+ tickets. :blink:

They would have set a new indoor attendance record :o

Dzldoc I know exactly what you mean! I actually saw Zep in '77 right before I was graduating high school and it was the most amazing concert I have ever been to. When you say "magic", that is just what it was in every sense of the word!

I also had tickets to another show in Philadelphia at JFK stadium that was cancelled. I don't know the number of tickets sold, but I can just imagine it would have been close to breaking another record.

Thanks for posting this video :D I was at the first night of the MSG performances (18th row) and this is exactly what it was like! Brings back some amazing memories for me.

• 1 year later...

Memorial Day, May 30th 1977, Landover,MD, at the then Capital Centre. I will always remember Led Zeppelin taking the stage in single file. Just an incredable memory seeing them in front of me. I am wondering if anyone here was at that show? I know the Ocean was but have not seen him in a long time. so I am trying to remember the exact order they walked out. My memory says, Bonham, Jones, Page and Plant. Does anyone remember if I am right?

2j3qvjs.jpg

1977 should have been Zeppelin's best tour. Plant sounded better and JPJ and esp. Bonzo were peaking. Jimmy on the other hand was shaky from song to song at almost every show due to the obvious reasons. I can't help but get mad at him when I listen to the live shows. He will sound great one song and the next he'll sound like he hadn't played in years. I'm curious if he practiced like he did in earlier tours? It kills me when people who aren't led heads like us trash him because they saw him on that tour or heard bootlegs from '77. Page was the best in the world but he didn't sound like it everynight. There was no excuse for him not to. I also hate that people ignore how good the rest of the band played and only go by how Jimmy sounded. Another thing I never get is why some fans on here hate the long solos. I particularly love No Q simply because it showed how talented JPJ was. He would throw in classical music with silent-movie sounding music to jazz, etc. Plus, 1977 had the best setlist. A taste of everything. If Jimmy had been in peak form, experts would still be talking about the '77 tour today. Damn shame it ended the way it did. They were supposed to play JFK in Philly and FILM IT. Poor Robert. He deserved better than what the fates dealt him.

Archived