Led Zeppelin Is The Ultimate Wine Band

Good article in today's New York Post. The restaurant where this is being held, Babbo is known to be New York City's top Italian restaurant, so I guess this is no joke. Joe Bastianich is a well known wine expert as well as restauranteur who's mother Lidia, has a long running cooking show on PBS called Lidia's Italy. Joe also co-owns Babbo, Becco, Del Posto and others with well known cooking personality Mario Batali. This could be interesting. Salute!

NEW YORK POST

IT'S A RED ZEPPELIN

MATCHING WINE WITH CLASSIC PAGE/PLANT TUNES

March 4, 2009

by Carla Spartas

GOOD wines, bad wines, you know you've had your share - which is where restaurateur Joe Bastianich comes in.

The man behind hot spots like the Spotted Pig wants to put some Zoso in your rosso with "The Great Led Zeppelin Wine Pairing" at Becco on March 17. And you thought the city's legions of wine snobs were content to pontificate over "Classical Thunder"!

The six-course dinner will span six Zeppelin albums and feature two songs and two wines per course - not to mention the occasional live guitar solo, strobe light and '70s-era jumpsuit.

Think "Robert Parker meets 'Spinal Tap,' " says writer-musician Mike Edison, who'll be discussing the evening's pairings along with wine expert and John Dory GM David Lynch.

With organizers considering matching Burgundy with the driving rhythms of "Black Dog" and a bold Napa Cab with the stormy sounds of "Whole Lotta Love," these Zep heads have rambled a long way from their first humble attempts to marry the auditory and olfactory.

"When I was a misguided teenager tried some Boone's Farm Apple while listening to 'Stairway to Heaven' to disastrous results," notes Edison.

According to Bastianich - who fed Jimmy Page at Babbo on several occasions - the wine-and-music mash-ups will veer from the conceptual to the tongue-in-cheek (e.g. "Going to California" and Central Coast pinot noir). "There are definitely taste sensations both olfactory and gustatory that can be directly paralleled with sensations you hear in the songs," says Bastianich.

Science appears to back him up: Last year, a study conducted by researchers in Edinburgh found that music can indeed influence the taste of wine. According to the findings, cabernet sauvignon was most affected by "powerful and heavy" tunes from bands like The Who and the Rolling Stones.

But don't tell that to Edison. "I love the Rolling Stones, but they make me want to drink whiskey and do hard drugs."

So what makes Zeppelin the ultimate wine band?

Couldn't one argue that the laid-back noodlings of Steely Dan are just as appropriate for an evening of wine-fueled revelry? "It's not about the image of the band," says Edison. "It really is about the music. It's about a guitar that's big and warm and drums that are massive and thundering but never unkind." Bastianich is even talking about taking the show to Vegas and doing a companion book.

While the evening's $175 price tag isn't exactly rock 'n' roll, it does include food, drink, tax, tip and copies of two books: Bastianich and Lynch's "Vino Italiano" and Edison's counter-culture memoir "I Have Fun Everywhere I Go." Music will be "appropriately loud," and guests will be encouraged "to drink, not spit."

"Ultimately, it's about getting people to talk about wine and songs and to become expressive about what you hear and what you taste and to vocalize what you're feeling," says Bastianich. "I think this is very much an exercise in that."

To reserve, call 212-397-7597 and ask for Jim Brigman or Jeremy Ensey.

I haven't drunk wine since those Boone's Farm Apple (or Strawberry) days but would love to attend this event and would agree to whatever pairings they suggested. Of course the pairing I would find best would be me walking through the door on the arm of Robert Plant.

A bottle of Boone's Farm Chateu Screeeech ! Those were the day's :lol:

Isn't there a wine called Led Zeppelin? I vaguely remember reading some blog where Robert ordered it in a restaurant out in California.

Not sure about that. A Google search could possibly solve that. I said the event is at Babbo, but it's at Becco, which is also one of the best Italian establishments in NYC as well. Joe Bastianich is also co-owner with Mario of an upscale wine store named Italian Wine Merchants in lower Manhattan. These guys don't mess around especially when coming to food, wine and especially Led Zeppelin. Their reputation speaks for itself. I'm sure it will be an unforgettable experience and worth it, even at $175.

Any takers?

Not sure about that. A Google search could possibly solve that. I said the event is at Babbo, but it's at Becco, which is also one of the best Italian establishments in NYC as well. Joe Bastianich is also co-owner with Mario of an upscale wine store named Italian Wine Merchants in lower Manhattan. These guys don't mess around especially when coming to food, wine and especially Led Zeppelin. Their reputation speaks for itself. I'm sure it will be an unforgettable experience and worth it, even at $175.

Any takers?

I'll take if someone else is buying :D

<_<

March 17th, huh?

An Italian alternative to traditional St. Patrick's Day celebrations, with a twist of Led Zeppelin!

I think that Led Zeppelin goes well with Guinness and Jameson's wiskey! :D

Add a little Irish step dancing to "Dancing Days" and you have a great St. Paddy's Day party.

I would love to go to this. Wine and Zeppelin... sounds fantastic!!!!! I'm sure that it's worth the price. March 17 is the day my wife and I (both Canadians) got married in Italy. Coincidence??? I must mention this to my wife. We have both been discussing about taking another trip.

I would love to go to this. Wine and Zeppelin... sounds fantastic!!!!! I'm sure that it's worth the price. March 17 is the day my wife and I (both Canadians) got married in Italy. Coincidence??? I must mention this to my wife. We have both been discussing about taking another trip.

Happy almost anniversary :D

Too bad it's in the middle of the week. I'd love to go - Becco is a fabulous restaurant and the whole evening sounds like so much fun!

I'm actually seriously considering doing this. I'm not that far from NYC. It is during the week and I'd rather it be on the weekend, but I suppose it's just a small sacrifice to make. The whole theme and event sounds great and Becco is one of the best Italian eateriers in Manhattan. I may wind up doing this solo as it might be tough to get someone else to splurge $175 on a meal. But how often do you get to do something like this?

I called the restaurant and each course will be paired with two wines along with the first six albums. They could of at least done seven, that way we get Presence as well. There will be a few speakers including Joe Bastianich going over the wines. One is an author who wrote some kind of Rock N Roll book coinciding with food and drink experiences. Not sure of the details on this. You get a copy for free, by attending. Also the former publisher or editor of High Times Magazine will also be speaking as well.

They said there will be some sort of St. Paddy's Day theme thrown in along with it as well. They haven't done the menu yet, but I'm sure it will go along with some Zeppelin tunes, albums, famous incidents as well. Hopefully no Shark Parmesan!

The $175 cost includes all food, wine, tax and tip. So we'll see.

I'm actually seriously considering doing this. I'm not that far from NYC. It is during the week and I'd rather it be on the weekend, but I suppose it's just a small sacrifice to make. The whole theme and event sounds great and Becco is one of the best Italian eateriers in Manhattan. I may wind up doing this solo as it might be tough to get someone else to splurge $175 on a meal. But how often do you get to do something like this?

I called the restaurant and each course will be paired with two wines along with the first six albums. They could of at least done seven, that way we get Presence as well. There will be a few speakers including Joe Bastianich going over the wines. One is an author who wrote some kind of Rock N Roll book coinciding with food and drink experiences. Not sure of the details on this. You get a copy for free, by attending. Also the former publisher or editor of High Times Magazine will also be speaking as well.

They said there will be some sort of St. Paddy's Day theme thrown in along with it as well. They haven't done the menu yet, but I'm sure it will go along with some Zeppelin tunes, albums, famous incidents as well. Hopefully no Shark Parmesan!

The $175 cost includes all food, wine, tax and tip. So we'll see.

Oh how cool--I hope you DO get to go, and have a FAB time!!

If you go, PLEEEEZ give us a recap of the whole thing!! :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Oh how cool--I hope you DO get to go, and have a FAB time!!

If you go, PLEEEEZ give us a recap of the whole thing!! :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

If I do decide, I most certainly will give you all of the dirt and a little embellishment on the event as well. No, just how it was and no exaggerations.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was really cool when I saw that article in the post 2 weeks ago. In this economy restaurants have to be inventive & people are not spending money & havent been for longer than this economic crisis has really taken hold. I'm a currently an unemployed bartender in NYC, & everyone is chasing the same nickel in my industry. I was #36 on my last bartender interview last week & I was there early.

30 more behind me when I was done.

Anyway, wish I could go (better yet work it!) but must be frugal. Shit, I drink Cote Du Rhone & listen to Zep in my apartment anyway ;) but it would be nice to go to. I suggest a nice Beaujolais while listening to side two of Zep 3 if there are any takers.

I thought this was really cool when I saw that article in the post 2 weeks ago. In this economy restaurants have to be inventive & people are not spending money & havent been for longer than this economic crisis has really taken hold. I'm a currently an unemployed bartender in NYC, & everyone is chasing the same nickel in my industry. I was #36 on my last bartender interview last week & I was there early.

30 more behind me when I was done.

Anyway, wish I could go (better yet work it!) but must be frugal. Shit, I drink Cote Du Rhone & listen to Zep in my apartment anyway ;) but it would be nice to go to. I suggest a nice Beaujolais while listening to side two of Zep 3 if there are any takers.

Nice suggestion--the Beaujolais with side 2 of Zep 3!! :) Will have to try that sometime soon. :)

Sharon

I thought about doing this and would be a lot of fun, but $175 was a bit steep. Plus NYC might not be the best atmosphere tonight with all the twenty something drunks around the city on St. Paddy's Day, who can't handle their liquor. Most aren't the faintest bit Irish and are just using it as an excuse to get their blood alcohol level to it's boiling point. They'll just make complete asses of themselves.

Archived