Led Zeppelin Is The Ultimate Wine Band

I thought about doing this and would be a lot of fun, but $175 was a bit steep. Plus NYC might not be the best atmosphere tonight with all the twenty something drunks around the city on St. Paddy's Day, who can't handle their liquor. Most aren't the faintest bit Irish and are just using it as an excuse to get their blood alcohol level to it's boiling point. They'll just make complete asses of themselves.

I decided not to go too, although I'd guess that with the price and the fact that it's wine and not beer it would be somewhat safe from amateur hour.

I did try and figure out how if I went I would pace myself! It would be too easy to sit back, relax, enjoy... and get completely plastered!

A mostly unrelated thought: has anybody ever listened to the entire catalog in one session start to finish? (not counting boots) I think I could do it but I would drive my wife nuts.

Happy St. Patrick's Day all! :beer:

Well for St. Pat's day I would recommend Guiness Car Bombs ( A half pint of Guiness with a shooter of Jameson 95% full topped with a dab of Bailey's, with the shot glass dropped into the pint & downed in one go & then repeat again ) while listening to side 4 of Physical Graffiti. You'll be jigging to "Boogie With Stu" & "Black Country Woman" in no time.

Well for St. Pat's day I would recommend Guiness Car Bombs ( A half pint of Guiness with a shooter of Jameson 95% full topped with a dab of Bailey's, with the shot glass dropped into the pint & downed in one go & then repeat again ) while listening to side 4 of Physical Graffiti. You'll be jigging to "Boogie With Stu" & "Black Country Woman" in no time.

Always liked those Guinness Car Bombs. Well, considering it gets repeated why not go to side three after side four of PG to make it better. I think once you're a bit buzzed to hear the intro to ITL would make things better.

I decided not to go too, although I'd guess that with the price and the fact that it's wine and not beer it would be somewhat safe from amateur hour.

I did try and figure out how if I went I would pace myself! It would be too easy to sit back, relax, enjoy... and get completely plastered!

A mostly unrelated thought: has anybody ever listened to the entire catalog in one session start to finish? (not counting boots) I think I could do it but I would drive my wife nuts.

Happy St. Patrick's Day all! :beer:

Sorry to hear that neither you nor SuperDave wound up going, although I can certainly understand your reasons why! :)

As to your unrelated question, yes I have done that (listened to the entire catalog)...although it was many years ago when I was in college, and actually, come to think of it, it would have been before Presence, ITTOD, or Coda was out, so I guess it would have been a shorter catalog to get through. BUT--still well worth it and lots of fun as I recall. Fortunately I did it one weekend night when everyone else was out partying--I decided I would rather stay in and listen to Zep from beginning to end, every song/every album (again, of what was out at the time). I highly recommend it!! LOL!! :)

Sharon

Actually I was reading the other day on line with a little bit in depth on the whole Led Zeppelin and wine dinner. The owner Joe Bastianich (Becco and several other NYC Italian restaurants including Del Posto with Mario Batali and his famous Mom, chef Lidia), would like to do several of these dinners a year with the Zeppelin theme. Obviously, a big fan of the band. He would also like to include a great LZ cover band as part of the evening's festivities as well.

Don't know where a read this, but probably a publication originating somewhere in the NYC area. Pretty sure about that.

Actually I was reading the other day on line with a little bit in depth on the whole Led Zeppelin and wine dinner. The owner Joe Bastianich (Becco and several other NYC Italian restaurants including Del Posto with Mario Batali and his famous Mom, chef Lidia), would like to do several of these dinners a year with the Zeppelin theme. Obviously, a big fan of the band. He would also like to include a great LZ cover band as part of the evening's festivities as well.

Don't know where a read this, but probably a publication originating somewhere in the NYC area. Pretty sure about that.

had i heard of this earlier than yesterday, i would have loved to have gone (i'm in ny). i hope they do another....i would definitely go!

Here's a complete rundown of last night's big event including a number of photos. Contains photos of every course and a breakdown of the wines and the songs that accompanied them. Judging from the photos it looked like a good time, but like I said previously the price was a bit steep. They plan to do more of these as restauranteur Joe Bastianich is a big time Led Zeppelin fan.

Becco's Led Zeppelin Wine Pairing

Wow, the food looks great. Looks like it was a fun night.

Not too many women there, it appears from the pictures!

It looks like something that I would have liked to attend. I would be drunk after the first glass of wine, and would probably be dancing on the tables by the time that the custard pie was served. :lol:

$175 doesn't seem too bad for all the courses and a different wine with each course. Including taxes and tip. And Led Zeppelin music! Seems like a deal. But you couldn't afford to do it very often. And for two to go, $350, you wouldn't be able to afford another fine dining night out again for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Led Zeppelin Wine Pairing 5/2 NYC

City Winery $55-$75

This wine pairing is the concept of Joe Bastianich, who is Mario Batali's partner in Babbo, Del Posto, etc.

Bastianich has paired Zeppelin's raw, nuanced, complex and high energy music with fine wine and italian food. The writer David Lynch and Mike Edison have joined the team to discuss the songs and the appropriate wine pairings. Led Zeppelin lends itself to wine; Hearty, robust reds match Page's raw riffs and Bonham's thunderous double bass pedal, while the band's lighter, more playful work calls for tamer, yet complex whites. On stage will be the live Zeppelin cover band Six Foot Nurse featuring special guest guitarist Scott Ian of the band Anthrax, all coming in from Los Angeles for the evening. This event was recently tested without the live band at the smaller restaurant Becco where it sold out instantly.

An example from the previous event:

David Lynch: "We're pairing "The Song Remains the Same" with two crispy acidic, chalky, mouth-tingling whites. Think about the opening guitar riff, that jangling makes me think of the bubbles rising in a glass of Champagne. We really captured the spirit of these wines, the acidity, their raciness, the treble. It's all about the treble."

Ticket includes entrance, 6 different wine pours and paired light fare. Tasting will last 90 minutes and dinner & bottle service will be available immediately following the tasting.

Led Zeppelin Wine Pairing 5/2 NYC

City Winery $55-$75

This wine pairing is the concept of Joe Bastianich, who is Mario Batali's partner in Babbo, Del Posto, etc.

Bastianich has paired Zeppelin's raw, nuanced, complex and high energy music with fine wine and italian food. The writer David Lynch and Mike Edison have joined the team to discuss the songs and the appropriate wine pairings. Led Zeppelin lends itself to wine; Hearty, robust reds match Page's raw riffs and Bonham's thunderous double bass pedal, while the band's lighter, more playful work calls for tamer, yet complex whites. On stage will be the live Zeppelin cover band Six Foot Nurse featuring special guest guitarist Scott Ian of the band Anthrax, all coming in from Los Angeles for the evening. This event was recently tested without the live band at the smaller restaurant Becco where it sold out instantly.

An example from the previous event:

David Lynch: "We're pairing "The Song Remains the Same" with two crispy acidic, chalky, mouth-tingling whites. Think about the opening guitar riff, that jangling makes me think of the bubbles rising in a glass of Champagne. We really captured the spirit of these wines, the acidity, their raciness, the treble. It's all about the treble."

Ticket includes entrance, 6 different wine pours and paired light fare. Tasting will last 90 minutes and dinner & bottle service will be available immediately following the tasting.

Wow--this sounds just as cool or cooler than the first one!! Wish I could go. :(

Sharon

Archived