Jane's Addiction Thread.....

Wolfman

On 8/26/2018 at 8:47 AM, Strider said:

Well put yourself, Brigante. If you saw them during their original flowering from 1986 to 1991, then you were one of the lucky ones. In fact, when I think of those days the St. Crispin's Day speech by Henry V comes to mind... "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."

The first reunion tour with Flea on bass in 1997 was good and the one where Eric Avery came back. But even those lacked a certain something. Dave and Perry had changed for sure...where they had once seemed like wild childs, now they were just rock stars.

Funny about that powerful opening of "Up the Beach" and "Whores". In the first couple of years they opened their shows with a variety of songs. You might get "Trip Away" one night, "Has a Dad" the next, or "My Time" or "Up the Beach". It was not until 1988 that the "Up the Beach"-" Whores" tandem became the ritual show opener for the next four years.

This is one of my favourite Whores.

Love this version. "Then She Did .." from this same show is magical. My fav version of it, even more than the album version. Perry is on another level here.

On 8/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, Strider said:

Happy 30th Birthday to "Nothing's Shocking" ! Released on August 23, 1988 Jane's Addiction's major-label debut was highly anticipated by us underground freaks in Los Angeles. I don't think the band's profile had expanded that much yet outside of Southern California but for those of us lucky enough to discover the band in 1986, "Nothing's Shocking" was the culmination of those early years playing the Scream club and warehouse parties in the middle of nowhere and the final repudiation of the Sunset Strip hair-metal scene.

You couldn't walk down Melrose Ave. without hearing "Nothing's Shocking" blasting out of the shops.

After seeing the media comically try to suggest every crappy hair-metal band under the sun was the second-coming of Led Zeppelin (Kingdome Come, anyone?), Jane's Addiction was the first band since the end of Led Zeppelin in 1980 to really show they had an affinity for what made Led Zeppelin unique. They didn't just ape their sound a la Whitesnake and Kingdome Clone and the Cult. No, Jane's saw that Led Zeppelin was more than just metal, more than crashing riffs and pounding drums and cock-rock. Just as Led Zeppelin took various existing forms (blues, folk, rock, world music) and created their own stew, Jane's melded the strands of Led Zeppelin, punk rock, and funk into their own sound. They understood the dynamics, the funky weirdness, the female energy intertwined with the macho poses that made Led Zeppelin 's music singularly cinematic, orgasmic and magical...timeless.

That is what separated Jane's Addiction from all the other pretenders to Led Zeppelin's throne. Much like Led Zeppelin, a Jane's Addiction concert had a ritualistic, almost creepy-scary-sexual voodoo vibe...It changed your molecular structure. Shamanistic is a term that is overused in music but prime Jane's Addiction definitely had that aura.

Goddamn...those years from 1986 to 1991 were magical times in L.A.

Those opening bass notes to the album still give me goose bumps. Crank it loud!

The soundtrack to many a summer.

I actually liked the Cult back then .. 😂 

I went to go see them with a buddy in 89. They were playing at the Cow Palace near SF. Ian was SUCH a cheeseball lol. It was really entertaining, but they def weren't a band I could take seriously after seeing them live. Also, Kingdom Come opened for them, very appropriate. We were pretty close to the stage and heckled them relentlessly between songs (KC, not the Cult). The singer was noticeably distracted. Looking back, it was kind of a dick thing to do but at the same time they sorta deserved it.

The Cult did a record in 84 called Dreamtime which sounds honest and inspired to my ears. I still listen to that one once in a blue moon. They got progressively more calculated and fake as time went on, but the optimist in me likes to think there was some real inspiration in their early days.

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

I went to go see them with a buddy in 89. They were playing at the Cow Palace near SF. Ian was SUCH a cheeseball lol. It was really entertaining, but they def weren't a band I could take seriously after seeing them live. Also, Kingdom Come opened for them, very appropriate. We were pretty close to the stage and heckled them relentlessly between songs (KC, not the Cult). The singer was noticeably distracted. Looking back, it was kind of a dick thing to do but at the same time they sorta deserved it.

The Cult did a record in 84 called Dreamtime which sounds honest and inspired to my ears. I still listen to that one once in a blue moon. They got progressively more calculated and fake as time went on, but the optimist in me likes to think there was some real inspiration in their early days.

I liked the early Cult, and remember hearing them when they were the Southern Death Cult and then the Death Cult, before shortening their name to just The Cult. But I was kind of bored of them by the time of the "Sonic Temple" album. When Ian Astbury started taking his wanna-be Jim Morrison schtick too seriously, I lost interest. But I still play "Dreamtime", "Electric", and 'Love".

Hey, I like your avatar name. What is your favourite 1975 "No Quarter"?

Edited by Strider

Yeah I had the Southern Death Cult and Death Cult records as well. The first Cult album sounds like almost a different band! And yeah, Sonic Temple is a snooze fest. When we saw them in 89, he had the Morrison hat, shades, leather pants and quite possible the snakeskin boots. The poses he did were comical. I need to look that shit up on YouTube now haha.

Thanks! I have never been much of a forum joiner. I don't even like social media. But after lurking on this site for a number of months, and then reading about different members discussing/ranking 75 No Quarter, it inspired me to jump in. I took a loooooong break from Zep. Basically stopped listening in the mid 90s. Then got back into listening again this year. So that's why I have that username. My fav 75 NQ is 5-18-75.  What's yours?

On 10/14/2021 at 1:09 PM, 1975NQ said:

Actually, it wasn't Kingdom Come, it was Bonham whoops lol. I always get those 2 bands from 89 mixed up, they sound identical