Jane's Addiction Thread.....

On 8/24/2018 at 3:52 AM, Brigante said:

This - absolutely. A perfect distillation of Jane's and the reasons why they possessed that same magical 'otherness' that straight-up Zeppelin imitators never even vaguely approximate. 
I saw Jane's at Sheffield Leadmill at the end of January 1989 and they totally stormed it. If I said that they carried a half-feral Zeppelin vibe, with a 1000 volts up its arse,
but with post-punk, funk, tribal and psych elements instead of the blues, it'd be an accurate enough description - but it wouldn't convey even half of it. 
All these years later, I'm honestly not sure if I can articulate the impact of them opening with Up The Beach and Whores, and then into 1%, but when Strider says 'it changed your molecular structure',
I know exactly what he means. All the stuff you've heard about early Jane's gigs being surging, mythic, oceanic, shamanic and flat-out fucking mesmerising? It's all true.
You knew right away that this was something special, something completely beyond the norm. I've never seen another band have that effect.
To be in the presence of that in a small club like the Leadmill? I was right - I really don't have the words... 

Well put yourself, Brigante. If you saw them during their original flowering from 1986 to 1991, then you were one of the lucky ones. In fact, when I think of those days the St. Crispin's Day speech by Henry V comes to mind... "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."

The first reunion tour with Flea on bass in 1997 was good and the one where Eric Avery came back. But even those lacked a certain something. Dave and Perry had changed for sure...where they had once seemed like wild childs, now they were just rock stars.

Funny about that powerful opening of "Up the Beach" and "Whores". In the first couple of years they opened their shows with a variety of songs. You might get "Trip Away" one night, "Has a Dad" the next, or "My Time" or "Up the Beach". It was not until 1988 that the "Up the Beach"-" Whores" tandem became the ritual show opener for the next four years.

This is one of my favourite Whores.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Strider said:

The first reunion tour with Flea on bass in 1997 was good and the one where Eric Avery came back. But even those lacked a certain something. Dave and Perry had changed for sure...where they had once seemed like wild childs, now they were just rock stars.

Indeed, Strider - that indefinable, mercurial 'other' just didn't seem to be there any more. Not that I saw any of those Relapse and later shows in person - I've only seen dvds of the various tours since they reformed and I know that cameras can't always capture the magic that's there in the hall itself, and some are better than others, but none of the ones I've got have that indefinable thing that the '86-'91 shows have. At first, I thought that Jane's were one of those bands where it was the particular chemistry created by those particular people that produced the result and that without Eric it just wasn't going to have the same effect. It's more than that, though, because you're right - even when Eric came back for a bit it still 'lacked a certain something'. Whatever spirit they were channelling first time round, didn't fully reappear. I know what people are getting at when they say it needed Casey to complete the circuit, but I suspect it was also simply that the time had gone, really. As you say, 'they were just rock stars' by then and the Jane's of 1986-'91 were so much more.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ritual-de-lo-1598031735-720x720.jpg.809409b1094224ebca89578e79326cab.jpg

Jane's Addiction's long-awaited followup to "Nothing's Shocking" was released on this day thirty years ago...August 21, 1990. And the end of hair metal was finally at hand. "Ritual de lo Habitual" was the first album of the underground bands of that era to reach Billboard's Top 20 in the charts. 
Thanks to my actress friend Jennifer, I had an advance cassette of "Ritual" since January of 1990...I played that sucker constantly. Nearly wore it out by the time the album was released and I could get the official release.
You really had to be there to understand how exciting and volatile the music scene was and the optimism for the future that existed back then.
Of course, what we didn't know until later was that not only was this the death knell for the hair metal bands but also the beginning of the end of the true alternative underground. The Jane's Addiction of today bears no relation to the Jane's Addiction of 1986-1991.
But it was fun while it lasted. And I'm lucky to still be standing.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...