Who's the most recent huge full on rock band?

Coldplay or Pink don't count as rockbands and all the metal bands all over the place that don't really stand out eg Killswitch Engage, Megadeth don't count. I'm thinking maybe of Metallica, Slipknot, maybe Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, Nirvana. Slayer and motley crue and GNR are both a bit older i guess all the other bands that level are 70s/80s and we're running out of bands now that arent just gonna be forgotten in a few years.

Coldplay or Pink don't count as rockbands and all the metal bands all over the place that don't really stand out eg Killswitch Engage, Megadeth don't count. I'm thinking maybe of Metallica, Slipknot, maybe Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, Nirvana. Slayer and motley crue and GNR are both a bit older i guess all the other bands that level are 70s/80s and we're running out of bands now that arent just gonna be forgotten in a few years.

Slipknot and BLS are not huge. Slipknot are a huge metal band, but metal bands just aren't that big, unless they soften their sound like Metallica did. I dunno why you would say BLS. They aren't even that big, really.

Pearl Jam is probably the newest legitimate rock band to be the biggest in the world. Nirvana was never really the biggest.

I'm not sure we are gonna see another huge "rule the world" type band.

I wish they'd find a way to regulate all the crap that gets slapped on the internet.

Well, Slipknot is godawful, so we won't count them will we?

I would say Queens of The Stone Age, as far as bands that you guys will know.

There are a lot of Doom/Stoner Metal bands that are pretty awesome that no one knows.

Like Electric Wizard

Well, Slipknot is godawful, so we won't count them will we?

I would say Queens of The Stone Age, as far as bands that you guys will know.

There are a lot of Doom/Stoner Metal bands that are pretty awesome that no one knows.

Like Electric Wizard

Ditto. Foo Fighters could be contenders as well, I reckon.

And who the fuck even considers Pink? Really? :huh:

Of recently put together bands, Velvet Revolver might fit into whatever it is that you are asking. They didn't draw huge crowds, but were well known and recent. They are supposed to be coming back with a new lead singer. Anyway.......

The most recent "legendary supergroup" would have to be Nirvana, especially with the Foo Fighters being an offspring of them. Pearl Jam had it's time, but Nirvana is timeless. IMO.

I prefer when the bands are not so huge.. Why? Here's my rant: What's the point going to an arena with 15000 other fans to see a band that you can't see because the stage is way too far away so you'll have to watch on the monitors instead. Plus, most of the arena concerts suffers from poor sound as well, with overly bombastic drums and bass lines that is impossible to hear. I went to see Mötley Crüe about a year or two ago, I got all the old albums and know the songs since I was a kid, but I tell you, when they got into one of the songs it took me at least a minute to recognise it because the sound was so fuckin' bad. Now, they are hardly known as the greatest musicians on this earth, but I tell you, it wasn't because of how they played. I'll stick to venues taking 25 - 2500 persons.

:D

I prefer when the bands are not so huge.. Why? Here's my rant: What's the point going to an arena with 15000 other fans to see a band that you can't see because the stage is way too far away so you'll have to watch on the monitors instead. Plus, most of the arena concerts suffers from poor sound as well, with overly bombastic drums and bass lines that is impossible to hear. I went to see Mötley Crüe about a year or two ago, I got all the old albums and know the songs since I was a kid, but I tell you, when they got into one of the songs it took me at least a minute to recognise it because the sound was so fuckin' bad. Now, they are hardly known as the greatest musicians on this earth, but I tell you, it wasn't because of how they played. I'll stick to venues taking 25 - 2500 persons.

:D

Totally agree with all of that.

Another good thing about being into lesser known bands is it's a damn sight cheaper to see them too.

Example: Space Ritual, a band made up of ex-Hawkwind members, £12

srroadmender.jpg

Slipknot and BLS are not huge. Slipknot are a huge metal band, but metal bands just aren't that big, unless they soften their sound like Metallica did. I dunno why you would say BLS. They aren't even that big, really.

Pearl Jam is probably the newest legitimate rock band to be the biggest in the world. Nirvana was never really the biggest.

I wish they'd find a way to regulate all the crap that gets slapped on the internet.

So only bands that some regulatory body decides is OK gets to post their stuff online? Don't like the sound of that! What's wrong with everybody being able to get their music out there?

The internet has become a really important means for bands to get noticed. Major labels are only signing acts that will garner mega bucks, indies are unfortunately disappearing and with the internet, more bands can affordably put their music out there and have a greater chance of getting heard and building a fan base all over the world.

Pearl Jam had it's time, but Nirvana is timeless. IMO.

I have to seriously disagree with you there. Including Springsteen, I don't think I've ever been to a show that didn't have more energy than a Pearl Jam concert. There's really nothing like it on Earth. You have to experience it. Nirvana were big because they were the first "grunge" band that were marketed through MTV and caught the eyes and ears of youth sick to death of "hair metal." They were good, but by no means the best. IMO ;)

I have to seriously disagree with you there. Including Springsteen, I don't think I've ever been to a show that didn't have more energy than a Pearl Jam concert. There's really nothing like it on Earth. You have to experience it. Nirvana were big because they were the first "grunge" band that were marketed through MTV and caught the eyes and ears of youth sick to death of "hair metal." They were good, but by no means the best. IMO ;)

Never have experienced their show, so I can't offer my opinion on that. I respect your opinion about them live. But, their music never seems to change much. Which isn't bad if that is your thing. I don't think Nirvana was big only because they were the 1st "grunge" band, it was because they could be so diverse. Super heavy riffs, at times, great catchy chorus' and then would go acoustic and add a whole different dimension to the song/record they were released on. I think their diversity is what separates Nirvana from Pearl Jam and elevates them in a historical sense. Again, I totally respect your take on the live aspect when it comes to Pearl Jam. Guns... saved us from the "hair metal" sound first and Cobain took it to next level, again IMO. ;)

The only good music Nirvana ever had was on Unplugged. The rest of their stuff is just bad versions of Neil Young songs. I would take AIC and Soundgarden way over Nirvana.

Seriously?! Don't know how Neil Young and Nirvana relate. Their unplugged was mostly all of their own songs, some just arranged differently. To each his own..... B)

Seriously?! Don't know how Neil Young and Nirvana relate. Their unplugged was mostly all of their own songs, some just arranged differently. To each his own..... B)

I'd guess the connection is in the sloppiness and aggression in the chords of some songs done by each?

Nirvana bigger than AIC, AIC bigger than Soundgarden, Soundgarden bigger than Nirvana, who the f cares, it's all grunge.

;)

I never listen to Pearl Jam these days, but I used to take them over any of the other grunge bands. But I couldn't care less about which of the bands were the most "popular" one. They all probably has left a huge impact in modern music anyways..

Nirvana bigger than AIC, AIC bigger than Soundgarden, Soundgarden bigger than Nirvana, who the f cares, it's all grunge.

;)

I never listen to Pearl Jam these days, but I used to take them over any of the other grunge bands. But I couldn't care less about which of the bands were the most "popular" one. They all probably has left a huge impact in modern music anyways..

I agree, not an arguement, just a discussion pertaining to the title of the thread. I personally like Alice In Chains over all of the other bands from the era. Too bad they weren't able to produce more music in the time they had with Layne. The new singer is awesome live though!

Never have experienced their show, so I can't offer my opinion on that. I respect your opinion about them live. But, their music never seems to change much. Which isn't bad if that is your thing. I don't think Nirvana was big only because they were the 1st "grunge" band, it was because they could be so diverse. Super heavy riffs, at times, great catchy chorus' and then would go acoustic and add a whole different dimension to the song/record they were released on. I think their diversity is what separates Nirvana from Pearl Jam and elevates them in a historical sense. Again, I totally respect your take on the live aspect when it comes to Pearl Jam. Guns... saved us from the "hair metal" sound first and Cobain took it to next level, again IMO. ;)

Your post shows you don't know much. Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural and Yield are all more diverse, individually, than Nirvana's entire catalog.

When people think of Nirvana it's quiet verses/loud choruses along with the Unplugged performance. Unplugged was pretty much their only acoustic stuff, and they didn't have too many songs that didn't follow their standard blueprint in the studio. Another point on the unplugged, NONE of the best songs were written by Kurt. Lake of Fire, How Did You Sleep Last Night, and Man Who Sold The World dominate the other songs.

For the record, Alice In Chains have the best Unplugged. Even better than Unledded.

Pearl Jam was the biggest band to come out of the big 4 of grunge. They are one of the top 5 best live bands ever. They are as diverse as just about anybody, but they are instantly recognizable.

Guns was a double edged sword. At first they really boosted hair metal. When they got big enough, people realized they hated that shit.

That 1st Black Crowes albums was pretty big as well, along with Metallica's s/t. 2 albums that always get overlooked in the fall of hair metal.

Nirvana gets waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy too much credit for crushin hair metal. Aside from Teen Spirit and Cobain offing himself they were never the biggest or even remotely close to best band.

I agree, not an arguement, just a discussion pertaining to the title of the thread. I personally like Alice In Chains over all of the other bands from the era. Too bad they weren't able to produce more music in the time they had with Layne. The new singer is awesome live though!

I liked AIC too. But I remember when I first heard Facelift, their first record which came out a year before Nirvana's Nevermind, I didn't understand what it was all about. I was still into the sleaze rock scene back then, bands like L.A. Guns and G'n'R LOL. But later when Dirt came, it all changed, that record is one of the best out of the grunge era. I also like Jar Of Flies.

Your post shows you don't know much. Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural and Yield are all more diverse, individually, than Nirvana's entire catalog.

When people think of Nirvana it's quiet verses/loud choruses along with the Unplugged performance. Unplugged was pretty much their only acoustic stuff, and they didn't have too many songs that didn't follow their standard blueprint in the studio. Another point on the unplugged, NONE of the best songs were written by Kurt. Lake of Fire, How Did You Sleep Last Night, and Man Who Sold The World dominate the other songs.

For the record, Alice In Chains have the best Unplugged. Even better than Unledded.

Pearl Jam was the biggest band to come out of the big 4 of grunge. They are one of the top 5 best live bands ever. They are as diverse as just about anybody, but they are instantly recognizable.

Guns was a double edged sword. At first they really boosted hair metal. When they got big enough, people realized they hated that shit.

That 1st Black Crowes albums was pretty big as well, along with Metallica's s/t. 2 albums that always get overlooked in the fall of hair metal.

Nirvana gets waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy too much credit for crushin hair metal. Aside from Teen Spirit and Cobain offing himself they were never the biggest or even remotely close to best band.

Well, I guess the next time I need all of the answers to the world, I'll get with you. Thanks for your OPINION.

I liked AIC too. But I remember when I first heard Facelift, their first record which came out a year before Nirvana's Nevermind, I didn't understand what it was all about. I was still into the sleaze rock scene back then, bands like L.A. Guns and G'n'R LOL. But later when Dirt came, it all changed, that record is one of the best out of the grunge era. I also like Jar Of Flies.

You are right on with me with your assessment. You should really check out AIC if and when they come around you - you won't be disappointed. Cantrell is one of most underrated guitarists/song writers/singers in the past 20 years. I saw them open for Velvet Revolver a year and a half ago and they were fantastic. I saw them twice with Layne - opening for Van Halen in '92 and then opening for Kiss at Tiger Stadium in '96. They truely are a great band. I hate to put any of those bands as "grunge" because they were just rock 'n roll bands with a little different style. Enjoyed the discussion "Swede". Peace.

You are right on with me with your assessment. You should really check out AIC if and when they come around you - you won't be disappointed. Cantrell is one of most underrated guitarists/song writers/singers in the past 20 years. I saw them open for Velvet Revolver a year and a half ago and they were fantastic. I saw them twice with Layne - opening for Van Halen in '92 and then opening for Kiss at Tiger Stadium in '96. They truely are a great band. I hate to put any of those bands as "grunge" because they were just rock 'n roll bands with a little different style. Enjoyed the discussion "Swede". Peace.

Yes, Cantrell was/is a great guitarist. I remember he sang and played on a Circus Of Power track once too, that I thought were great. But I don't recall what the title was.. Thanks for the heads up regarding todays AIC, though it's not likely I will attend any of those 90's acts again. Mostly because there are so many other bands and artists I want to put my money on. But who knows, if the opportunity comes.. B) You're right about the term "grunge" , I only use it as it's easier to identify what sort of rock'n'roll I'm talking about LOL. Cheers!

I don't know IMO what modern band hasn't been presented as a "huge" rock band at some point. That's what bands do, their management gets them out there to be noticed. Even mediocre bands like Machine Head get out and play stadiums as part of package tours, it really doesn't mean much these days because it's the norm. It's easy to be deceived into believing many bands, todays or yesterdays, are bigger than they really are.

You know the real deal when you see the real deal, when I saw Wilco headline Red Rocks it felt like I was in the presence of a great band playing great music at a high profile venue because they deserved to be there. I didn't get that kind of vibe from AIC when I saw them headline lollapalooza in 93 and that's when they were at their peak. Lesser known bands bested them on stage that day, Dino Jr and Babes In Toyland blew AIC and Primus away. Just because a band has made it and has the industry machine is behind them doesn't mean they are worthy of the hype, now, the past or ever.

Archived