Available at Newstands (Nearly) Everywhere

SteveAJones

Over the last 2 weeks, I've purchased 5 magazines featuring Led Zeppelin. (Mojo, Guitar World, Rolling Stone (2), DRUM/John Bonham) I went searching for THIS one, after it was not found in time for Christmas. The local Barnes and Noble had ONE copy left, and it scooped it up. I have to say that out of all the magazines I purchased- this is a great read. Every page is Led Zeppelin. The entire catalog is discussed, and some in depth topics as well. This is worth every cent, if you are feeling the "Led Zeppelin fever" right now, I suggest you go out and buy this, if you can find it. Even if your not a fan/supporter of Rolling Stone, it's your loss if you don't pick it up.

I agree with you, just overlook that it's RS, if you can, and enjoy this! I've seen it everywhere, even at the Whole Foods checkout stand. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A feature on the making of Houses Of The Holy on its fortieth anniversary leads the new edition of Classic Rock Magazine.

More info: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/the-new-issue-of-classic-rock-is-on-sale-now-27

Wow! Thank you, Cookie! I will look out for this. It must be the next one after the current Jimi Hendrix one. I love the cover, too. Edited by aen27

A feature on the making of Houses Of The Holy on its fortieth anniversary leads the new edition of Classic Rock Magazine.

More info: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/the-new-issue-of-classic-rock-is-on-sale-now-27

Wow, that pic looks like '75, I think that's the earliest picture I've ever seen of Jimmy with the b-bender Tele! Didn't think he'd used it in a live setting before '77, then obviously it became his main axe on the ARMS tour and The Firm.

Wow, that pic looks like '75, I think that's the earliest picture I've ever seen of Jimmy with the b-bender Tele! Didn't think he'd used it in a live setting before '77, then obviously it became his main axe on the ARMS tour and The Firm.

It's not '75. It's from the Manticore rehersals in 1977. Also a fourm member told me that she doesn't remember seeing Jimmy with a cigarette before 1977.

...The latest from Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose...

HOUSES OF THE HOLY – IT WAS 40 YEARS AGO TODAY/RECORD COLLECTOR FEATURE/ EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH HIPGNOSIS SLEEVE DESIGNER AUBREY POWELL/ DL DIARY UPDATE

28 March 2013

Houses-at-40.jpg

Led Zeppelin Houses Of The Holy TBL 40th Anniverary Special:

40 years ago today Led Zeppelin released their long awaited fifth album, Houses Of The Holy.

We have been counting down to this milestone anniversary and the TBL website and Facebook page will be celebrating the album’s release over the next few days.

I myself have been getting intensely re acquainted living with Houses Of The Holy the album since January, as over the past three months I’ve been collating a major feature on the album for the new issue of Record Collector – that issue is now on sale

It includes the full story of the making of the album, an extensive worldwide album and singles discography compiled by Nick Anderson and we also answer the question whatever happened to Rosie and The Originals as well as spotlighting a rare over version of D’yer Ma’ker and discussing that elaborate sleeve design and more.

This issue of Record Collector is the perfect guide to have next to you as you re discover the album…seek it out today!

rc-coll-houses.jpg

Talking of the sleeve…

Yesterday in London I conducted an exclusive interview for TBL with one of the designers of the Houses Of The Holy sleeve.

Aubrey Powell aka Po, co-founded the album cover design company Hipgnosis with Storm Thorgerson in 1967. Hipgnosis created some of the most innovative and surreal record cover art of the 1960s, 70s and 80s for many of the big name rock bands of the era including Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, Yes, Genesis, 10cc, Peter Gabriel, Bad Company, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Scorpions, Styx, Syd Barrett and Black Sabbath.

Hipgnosis were responsible for the Houses, Presence, The Song Remains The Same, In Through The Out Door and Coda sleeves. Po later moved into films and directed various Robert Plant and Firm videos –he also directed the No Quarter Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded film. He is currently working on a book of photographic portraits.

I met with him yesterday nigh on 40 years to the day of the releases of what he considers one of very best designs they created. This exclusive interview with Aubrey Powell, in which he discusses his working association with Led Zeppelin over the years will be one of the highlights of the next TBL magazine.

On this 40th anniversary I asked Po to summarise what the Houses Of The Holy sleeve means to him…

aubrey-powell.jpg

Above -Aubrey Powell London – March 27th 2013.

”40 years on from completing this album cover, I’m still very proud of it. It’s one of the best works that Hipgnosis ever produced and it’s stood the test of time. Everybody still talks about it. You see in those polls of top ten album cover of all time , where Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon is always jockeying for a top three position with Houses Of The Holy.

I think the reason why it’s stood the test of time is that not only are Led Zeppelin the greatest rock band in the world but because the image is stirring.

People look at it and really wonder what it’s about. There’s a narrative in there …what are these children doing? Where are they going? What’s caused this? What’s this huge glow on the horizon? What’s the story with this? Then the inner cover the image of the guy holding the girl above his head – that also has that sort of fairy tale quality about it. It just grabs people’s imagination and it’s very unusual for an album cover. It’s very different and people seem to admire that image.

At Hipgnosis, we never felt that the work we did would go beyond the year that we did it, possibly because we were always so busy – we were probably doing three album covers a week for various different bands for 15 years. During the time I didn’t really have an opportunity to say ‘oh isn’t that great, you know in 40 years time people will look it and say gosh that was an extraordinary piece of work.’ All I know is that I just worked very hard and loved what I was doing and I enjoyed the people I worked for. I thank Led Zeppelin for giving us the opportunity to do these designs, because without them we would not have been able to so.

In my heart of heart of hearts, it very much represents that vinyl period of time – those 15 years of top quality vinyl graphics that we produced.

So yes…Houses Of The Holy all these years on, is a piece I’m particularly proud of’”

Aubrey Powell – March 27th 2013.

The full interview will be featured in TBL 35 -don’t miss it -subscribe now.

----------------

SUBSCRIBE NOW!
TBL-back-issues1.jpg

IF YOU LOVE LED ZEPPELIN – YOU WILL LOVE THIS MAGAZINE!

Subscribe now for the 2013 TBL magazines and never miss a future issue!

There’s another action packed line up of Zep related news, views and features ready to provide you with an ongoing Zep fix through the year.

Subscribe now to receive issue 35 (due late May) and issue 36 (due late September) with issue 37 to follow early in 2014.

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: The 2013 subscription does not include the new TBL 34 -this is part of the 2012 subscription or can be ordered as a single issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2 : if you are a current subscriber -for 2012 -your subscription will expire with issue 34 due February 2013.

NOW IS THE TIME TO RE SUBSCRIBE!

Here is just one of many satisfied subscriber feedback comments:

”TBL 30 arrived in my letterbox on Friday. Once again, it’s a fantastic effort. Congratulations! I’m an avid reader of Mojo, Q, Uncut, Record Collector and Rolling Stone but my subscription to TBL is far and away the best value for money.” Michael Rae, Australia

SUBSCRIPTION ORDERING DETAILS

Receive all three of the 2013 Tight But Loose magazines:

TBL 35, TBL 36 and TBL 37

UK: £15 plus £5.00 postage and packing – total price £20.00

Europe: £15 plus £9.00 postage and packing – total price £24.00

USA/Canada/ Australia/Japan and rest of world: £15 plus £12.00 postage and packing -total price £27.00 ($43.33 approx)

HOW TO ORDER:

By Pay Pal or in the UK by cheque (IN UK STERLING ONLY) PAYABLE TO D.LEWIS -

CHEQUES SEND TO TBL, 14 TOTNES CLOSE, BEDFORD MK40 3AX, ENGLAND

VIA PAY PAL – SEE BUY NOW ORDERING BUTTON BELOW -

If you need further advice on ordering – email davelewis.tbl1@ntlworld.com or call 01234 267515 /0794 126 0997

Important: USA /ROW/Europe buyers: Remember to drop down menu box for the relevent price box ie US £27.00 – Europe £24.00

IMPORTANT ORDERING VIA PAY PAL PLEASE NOTE: if you are signed in on www.tblweb.com the pay pal link will not connect – please log out and log back in under www.tightbutloose.co.uk to recitify -the pay pal will then connect -apologies for inconvenience

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?page_id=18106

Edited by SteveAJones

LED ZEPPELIN THEN AS IT WAS – AT KNEBWORTH 1979 – REVAMPED SECOND EDITION

– PRE ORDER NOW!

Then-as-it-was-preview-1.jpg

THE NEXT TBL BOOK – DUE FOR PUBLICATION LATER THIS YEAR

LED ZEPPELIN THEN AS IT WAS AT KNEBWORTH 1979

COMPILED BY DAVE LEWIS

The first hardback edition is now sold out. However - a second revamped limited edition hardback edition is in progress

PLEASE NOTE PUBLICATION OF THE SECOND EDITION IS NOW PLANNED FOR 2013

All pre orders will be logged for distibution when published.

The second edition will feature:

*Revamped cover and new layout design

*Increased colour content and additional text

* All copies will be individually numbered, certified and signed by the author.

This edition is a major revamp on the first run – even if you have the first book this new improved edition is an essential purchase!

You can pre order a copy now - All pre orders will be allocated the lowest numbers as received.

DON’T MISS OUT – THE SECOND EDITION IS A STRICTLY LIMITED RUN

HERE’S WHAT’S IN STORE:

Thirty two years ago over two weekends in August 1979, thousands of fans came to pay homage to Led Zeppelin as they performed what would be their last UK shows at Knebworth.

Dave Lewis chronicles this milestone event in rock history with the full story behind the band’s triumphant return to the stage – the build up to the event, the concerts themselves, the aftermath and the accompanying impact of their final studio album In Through The Out Door.

The book’s centrepiece is a collection of over thirty unique first hand recollections from fans who attended the Knebworth shows.

These vivid, humorous and often moving accounts capture the true spirit of the occasion.

The book includes:

*Foreword by Ross Halfin – who photographed Led Zeppelin at the August 11th 1979 Knebworth show and their 2007 reunion at the 02 Arena.

*Preface overview by Chris Charlesworth former Melody Maker Editor who had close access to the band in the 1970s.

*Build up to the event, the gigs themselves and aftermath summary.

*Over thirty unique first hand accounts from fans who proudly boast ‘’I was there…’’

*Original Knebworth review from the Tight But Loose magazine.

*Transcribes of interviews from the Knebworth era with Robert Plant and John Paul Jones including contents of the lost promo interview album.

*American retrospective view of the Zep Knebworth saga by Larry M Bergmann Jr.

*Detailed Knebworth bootleg discography by Graeme Hutchinson.

*Detailed In Through The Out Door world wide discography by Nick Anderson.

* Memorabilia focus with spotlight on Knebworth collectables from the Brian Knapp collection.

Hardback format 240 x 170mm

It all adds up to an engaging account that tells how Led Zeppelin came out to meet their post punk audience and reclaim their crown as the worlds number one rock attraction. These nostalgic recollections from out in the field capture the final days of a legendary band and the simpler more innocent times of the last great British festival gatherings of the 1970s.

Important Note: Signing of books: I will dedicate and sign each book to the book purchaser as listed -unless infomed otherwise.

If you would like a specific personal dedication please state what you require – (use special instructions section of pay pal if paying by pay pal)

YOU CAN PRE ORDER THE NEW SECOND LIMITED EDITION OF THE BOOK: DUE TO BE PUBLISHED LATER THIS YEAR

UK Price £26.00 +£3.95 postage and packing =£29.95

Europe £ 26.00 +£7.25 postage and packing = £33.25

USA, Canada/Australia, Japan –rest of world £ 26.00 +£12.75 postage and packing = £38.75 ($57.86)

Payment:

By Cheque: In UK sterling only payable D.Lewis

Send to Knebworth Book, 14 Totnes Close Bedford MK40 3AX

By Pay Pal

Please note – USA/Europe overseas buyers – drop down menue for US and Europe prices ie US £38.75

IMPORTANT ORDERING VIA PAY PAL PLEASE NOTE: if you are signed in on www.tblweb.com the pay pal link will not connect – please log out and log back in under www.tightbutloose.co.uk to rectify -the pay pal will then connect -apologies for inconvenience.

If you need further advice on ordering – email davelewis.tbl1@ntlworld.com or call 01234 267515 /0794 126 0997

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?page_id=1962

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 weeks later...

One of the four covers of the new issue of Lid Magazine is Led Zeppelin shot by Ross Halfin in New York, October 2012 (around the time of the Celebration Day press conference there). It's limited to 350 copies.

Lid #16 - Featuring A 32 page portfolio by William Coupon of his New York City 1978-1979 portraits and punk series, Photos shot in New York City's famed Mudd Club of stars such as Debbie Harry, David Byrne, William Burroughs, John Cale, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring and Lydia Lunch. An eighteen page "Travelogue" of recent work by Ross Halfin featuring Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Billy Gibbons, Wilko Johnson, Ian Hunter and lots more. A ten page portfolio of Andrea Mary Marshall's erotic "Screenshots" self-portraits. Twelve pages by Michael Cooper of visual artists from 1960's London including Terry Southern, Rene Magritte, David Hockney, Francis Bacon, Andy Warhol, Peter Blake and others with a new essay by Christian Culkin. Twelve pages by Megan Cump from her recent photo series "Black Moon." Twelve pages of previously unpublished Steve McQueen by Barry Feinstein with a new essay by Dave Brolan. David Croland's 1971 portrait studies for his Halston Girls commission from the great designer in New York City including Loulou de la Falaise, Marisa Berenson, Elsa Peretti, and China Machado. An eight page preview of the new book "50 Shades" by Tony Nourmand featuring Bob Dylan, Marilyn Monroe, Faye Dunaway, Jack Nicholson, Sean Connery, Debbie Harry and David Bowie A stunning art portfolio by Adam Peters and Patti Smith by Michael Zagaris

Link: http://lidmagazine.net/shop.html

post-20091-0-86437000-1365944970_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

One of the four covers of the new issue of Lid Magazine is Led Zeppelin shot by Ross Halfin in New York, October 2012 (around the time of the Celebration Day press conference there). It's limited to 350 copies.

Link: http://lidmagazine.net/shop.html

I love this cover of Lid, but when I ordered this it had a different Zep cover. Did I miss out on this one and that was a replacement? Or did they decide to use a different photo? Or will this be the one that comes?