Available at Newstands (Nearly) Everywhere

SteveAJones

I can't help saying this, I just can't help it, but I wish Jimmy would stop posing endlessly with that guitar or any other, and PLAY THE DAMN THING!!

OK, I feel better now.

Yep ! I'm with ya on that

The new issue of Q is out and seeing Jimmy Page and the head line "The Last Days" on the cover I thought, finally, an in-depth article on the final tour, Euro 1980!

Alas, after picking it up and finding the article, what we get is a look back at Knebworth; not bad, but not what was implied by the cover tag. The picture of Page on the cover is even from the Euro 80 tour, not Knebworth, implying that it would be about that last tour.

Then, get this...I go online to post the cover here, and for some reason they have Kasabian on the cover; I guess Jimmy Page is on the cover of the US edition and Kasabian the UK/Euro editions.

Q magazine link

The new Record Collector magazine also has an anniversary article about the Knebworth shows...look for it at your newstand/Barnes & Nobles/Borders.

Led Zeppelin at Knebworth

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another article about the Prochnicky book being released in October:

http://www.examiner.com/x-10109-Lexington-Music-Examiner~y2009m8d25-Led-Zeppelin-photo-biography-due-out-in-October

I wasn't impressed with his Jim Morrison bio that came out almost (yipes!) 20 years ago. But this new Zep book is a "photo biography" so it sounds like something no one can mess up :)

Edited by FireOpal

• 2 weeks later...

magazine_img.jpg

I had a flick through this at the airport this evening. What a weird mag. It seems to be like a men's fashion magazine - all sharp suits and "cool" cars - but with a focus on guitars. Just glossy photos of guitars, from what I could make out, rather than information about how to play them or about what has been played on them.

The Jimmy Page piece has... I'm really choking here... information about what clothes he's fucking wearing. I mean, with details of the designer and the price and everything, just like you get in glossy rags like FHM with male models twatting around in suits and it says, "Jacket by Armani - $5000" or whatever.

I did only have a flick through the mag, so maybe there is more to it than that, but I was frankly shocked. Fashion shoots? My all time music hero? :'(

Edited by croquet'n'cocaine

With Guitar Aficionado,

we've created a magazine that intersects all areas of your lifestyle, with the guitar as the common point. After all, the man who appreciates the sleek lines and sex appeal of a fine guitar looks for the same attributes in a luxury automobile. Similarly, the nuances of tone emanating from the living wood of a guitar are like the subtle notes of a fine wine, and the refined sensibilities required to recognize them are the same.

And think of how often you've seen the guitar used in tandem with fashion, spirits, travel, and watches. Clearly, the time has come for a magazine that combines these shared passions and curates them in a way that speaks to you.

Guitar Aficionado is ultimately about interesting people who exhibit the requisite attributes for success: great passion and uncompromising drive. Those traits describe many of the guitar aficionados we profile-from Tom Colicchio, who demands purity in his ingredients, to Robert Foley, whose quest to grow the finest grapes has resulted in his excellent Napa wines.

As the greatest vintage guitars become rarer, love for the guitar-and for what it represents--continues to transcend generations.

Greg Di Benedetto

Publisher

guitaraficionado.com/publisher_letter.html

A Guitar Magazine Tests the Luxury Waters

By STEPHANIE CLIFFORD

Published: May 24, 2009

One might assume that the new magazine Guitar Aficionado is a spinoff of the 17-year-old Cigar Aficionado. Both have covers with celebrities holding the featured prop (the chef Tom Colicchio with a 1963 guitar, Jay-Z with a stogie of a presumably more recent vintage). They both carry stories about alcohol, watches and men's fashion, and ads for cigars and speakers. Also, both titles include the word "aficionado."

But while Cigar Aficionado comes from M. Shanken, which also publishes Wine Spectator, Guitar Aficionado is from a more rocking family of magazines. It sprang from Guitar World, part of the magazine company Future US; that magazine, in its June issue, includes the music and lyrics for AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and Cannibal Corpse's "A Cauldron of Hate."

Greg Di Benedetto, the publisher of both guitar magazines, said Guitar Aficionado was aimed not at young hard-rock fans, but buyers of $6,000 guitars who would also buy expensive liquor, cars and watches.

Along with coverage of guitars, it includes stories on Aston Martin automobiles and the West Hollywood hotel Sunset Marquis (both are advertisers in the issue, which Mr. Di Benedetto said he did not see as a problem; it was "product placement," he said.)

But the advertising picture for luxury magazines is bad. For instance, ad pages at American Express Publishing's high-end magazine Departures fell 43 percent in the first quarter of the year, according to Publishers Information Bureau. And some magazines largely dependent on luxury ads have ceased operations recently, including Condé Nast Portfolio, Private Air and Trader Monthly.

Mr. Di Benedetto said that Guitar Aficionado's schedule as a quarterly would help with ads. "It's a completely different picture. Trader Monthly or Portfolio are victims of the times because it's not really fashionable to tout the Wall Street trappings of success."

Mr. Di Benedetto said the title's similarity to Cigar Aficionado was not intentional.

"There was just no other way to describe it perfectly," he said. "It's got nothing to do with overlapping with any other magazine."

"You can be an aficionado of many things, and the fact that it rhymes, I can't help that," he said.

nytimes.com/2009/05/25/business/media/25guitar.html

Edited by eternal light

I read somewhere that Capricorn people value opulent living. They view the finer things in life as being part of the rewards brought by the achievement earned as a result of their hard work, although recognition by others is still the main interest for them.

We Capricorns tend to value things by how much we spend (money, time, etc.) on them. I used to think everyone thought this way but my daughter claims that this is not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...