Available at Newstands (Nearly) Everywhere

SteveAJones

Australian Newspaper Supplements:

The Courier Mail - CM2 Supplement (Brisbane, Australia) November 19 2009

20091119CourierMailTheBrisbane.jpg

"Picking the Bones of Rock Greatness" Finally a supergroup that doesn't suck by Kathy McCabe (TCV interview)

"Grohl's Heroes Welcome" by Kathy McCabe (Grohl interview)

The Herald Sun - Extra Hit Supplement (Melbourne, Australia) November 19 2009

20091119HeraldSunMelbourne.jpg

"The Vultures Are Circling" by Kathy McCabe (Grohl & Homme interview)

Daily Telegraph - T. Supplement (Sydney, Australia) November 20 2009

20091120DailyTelegraphSydney.jpg

"I've Two Reasons to Come to Australia" by Kathy McCabe (Grohl interview)

"On a Wing and a Prayer and a Meal" by Kathy McCabe (Grohl & Homme interview)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Guitar One presents Acoustic Rock (Summer 2010) (USA)

2010SpringGuitarOnepresentsAcous-1.jpg

"Rock and a Soft Place" AR presents a guide to the 25 greatest acoustic songs in hard rock... by Joe Bosso

(Includes 'Stairway to Heaven')

"The Iron Butterfly" He is celebrated as one of rock's heaviest guitarists, but when Jimmy Page reached for his acoustic, his touch could be light as a feather by Brad Tolinski (reprinted from Guitar World Acoustic #62)

"Hey Hey What Did He Do?" How Jimmy Page got his acoustic sound in the studio and onstage by Brad Tolinski

Performance Notes: "Going to California" by Jimmy Brown

Edited by SteveAJones

TIGHT BUT LOOSE #26 (UK)

TBL26.jpg

THE ESSENTIAL ZEP READ – TANGIBLE, COLLECTABLE, RE-READABLE.

BRINGING YOU EVER CLOSER TO THE WORLD OF LED ZEPPELIN

3 issue 1 year subscription commencing with May issue:

UK £18.50, Europe £22, USA/Rest Of World £25.

Single issue: UK £6.50, Europe £7.50, USA Rest of world £8.50 –

All prices include postage.

Payment by Cheque (in UK sterling) payable to D. Lewis.

Send to TBL, 14 Totnes Close, Bedford, MK40 3AX ,England

Or order online via Pay Pal –send payment in British Pounds via Pay Pal to davelewis.tbl1@ntlworld.com

or use the Pay Pal 2010 Subscription payment link at www.tblweb.com

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Summer 2010) (USA)

2010SummerRollingStone500GreatestSo.jpg

Front Cover

2010SummerRollingStone500Greates-1.jpg

Back Cover

#31 Stairway to Heaven, #75 Whole Lotta Love, #141 Kashmir, #300 Black Dog, #328 Heartbreaker, #440 Ramble On

Look how far down the list they have LZ...of course no suprise to me :rolleyes:

Look how far down the list they have LZ...of course no suprise to me :rolleyes:

Judging by the artists on the cover they must mean the 500 greatest songs since 1955, then on the back cover they talk about "Rock's Classic Songs". Do they include Madonna, Aretha and Beyonce as rock artists or are they just giving us their opinions?

What drivel!

Judging by the artists on the cover they must mean the 500 greatest songs since 1955, then on the back cover they talk about "Rock's Classic Songs". Do they include Madonna, Aretha and Beyonce as rock artists or are they just giving us their opinions? What drivel!

The Clash's 'London Calling' is #15 Greatest Song of All Time and that says it all, really. RS is totally irrelevant.

"London Calling" is a bloody great song.

London Calling is indeed a great song, albeit more from an atmospheric than a musical POV, but it's not even the best song on the album, and it's certainly not the 15th best song since 1955.

It might be the 15th FAVOURITE song of a sample of the 30-something preppy slacker drop-outs who write for or read RS, but that's a generational rather than a qualitative judgement.

How exactly do you make a "qualitative " judgement about music? Everything you have said in that post ^ is as valid and meaningful as any vote by any journalist, "preppy slacker dropout" or not. You are no more "right" than they are.

Did anyone notice the Jimmy snub at the end? On the last page they listed acts who appeared the most, decades represented, etc. They also listed producers who appeared the most and they had 4 or 5 who were tied with 6 songs each in the top 500. Last time I checked Zeppelin had 6 songs in the top 500 and they are all produced by...Jimmy Page.

Did anyone notice the Jimmy snub at the end? On the last page they listed acts who appeared the most, decades represented, etc. They also listed producers who appeared the most and they had 4 or 5 who were tied with 6 songs each in the top 500. Last time I checked Zeppelin had 6 songs in the top 500 and they are all produced by...Jimmy Page.

Now that you mention it, yes, you are absolutely correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, I must get that Guitar Techniques magazine somehow. To think they can teach me to play like Beck in only 7 pages! I repent of my snark; it was a really good article. They give a nice overview of his otherwordly style and even dip a toe into the Beckian harmonics pool.

Thanks for the scans, Steve.

Edited by FireOpal

• 1 month later...

Mojo seems to have re-upped its game over recent issues. It went through a phase of courting the yoof populist market, with major features on transient waifs & strays like Kings of Leon and the Arctic Monkeys.

Thankfully, those days appear to be over - for now. Having said that, it's a few months since Franz Ferdinand released an album. So maybe I'm speaking too soon.

We shall see.

• 4 weeks later...

Nashville Scene (September 2, 2010) (Nashville, Tennessee)

20100902NashvilleScene.jpg

Cover Story:

"Has Americana Arrived?"

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/has-americana-arrived/Content?oid=1798554

Robert Plant Feature:

"How Buddy Miller brought Robert Plant’s Band of Joy into the heart of Americana"

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/how-buddy-miller-brought-robert-plants-band-of-joy-into-the-heart-of-americana/Content?oid=1798568