Available at Newstands (Nearly) Everywhere

SteveAJones

The current issues of Q and CLASSIC ROCK magazines with their Led Zeppelin special articles is a perfect example of how so much music journalism has gone downhill today. Mistakes and cliches galore...trite and predictable soundbites...research and insight seemingly straight from Wikipedia. A big yawn and big waste of time and money...nothing in these magazines that most of you Led Zeppelin fans haven't seen and read before.

I certainly don't expect Rolling Stone to do much better, but I do have higher hopes for Mojo.

The current issues of Q and CLASSIC ROCK magazines with their Led Zeppelin special articles is a perfect example of how so much music journalism has gone downhill today. Mistakes and cliches galore...trite and predictable soundbites...research and insight seemingly straight from Wikipedia. A big yawn and big waste of time and money...nothing in these magazines that most of you Led Zeppelin fans haven't seen and read before.

I certainly don't expect Rolling Stone to do much better, but I do have higher hopes for Mojo.

That's quite pathetic to say the least. Would it hurt these writers and publications to spend a bit of time and do their research from sources whose information is a accurate as possible?

Classic Rock are doing a special for the Kiss Anniversary http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/music-bookazines/kiss-limited-edition-40th-anniversary-folio/?ns_campaign=BM_kiss2&ns_mchannel=hb&ns_source=mfm&ns_linkname=crreskins&ns_fee=0

would be nice if this was done for the remasters and maybe a conclusive interview with Page (and the boys) specifically about the recording techniques of the day and how modern mastering as taken 40 year old recordings to this new level of re-mastering, recording stories etc

Brad Tolinski posted on his twitter page that he is flying to the UK today to interview Jimmy about the boxsets. I bet it will be for the next Guitar World, so I have the feeling press will begin soon.

Thanks for the info!

Some pages from Muziq Mag # 2

Nice attachment and I love it! Well done Seaweed Gate! Paris is a great city as I've been there five times. All pleasure trips! Can't get enough of that city. Last time being last May. I think, I will include this on my Desktop Background. It's a good one.

What is the meaning behind your name hear? Just curious, as it's a bit odd and non Zeppelin related, I think.

Spot on with the LZ I box set release next June I believe. Weird thing is the article came way before the official statement about 2014 releases ...

So who is the mustachioed chap in chic boots standing next to Jimmy in the third photo?

So who is the mustachioed chap in chic boots standing next to Jimmy in the third photo?

Longshot of a guess here Strider...but Jimmy has mentioned in the past about a friendship with a French rock journalist named Philipe Paringaux...since the airport is Orlys...perhaps that is who that is?

Longshot of a guess here Strider...but Jimmy has mentioned in the past about a friendship with a French rock journalist named Philipe Paringaux...since the airport is Orlys...perhaps that is who that is?

That sounds like an excellent educated guess. Good detective work and good memory. He looks a little like Sterling Morrison.

What is the meaning behind your name here? Just curious, as it's a bit odd and non Zeppelin related, I think..

That's just a clouded wink at Sandy Pearlman's poetry. Who was Sandy Pearlman ? Blue Öyster Cult's mentor in the seventies.

You can find mention of a seaweed gate in the album Imaginos and the eponymous song "Blue Öyster Cult" which is a reworking of "The Subhuman" (Secret Treaties.) I've always thought BÖC was a vastly underrated band. That's my all-time favourite American band anyhow.

Edited by seaweed gate

For a long time I've thought this guy was John Bonham himself. I'm not so sure about that, noawadays. I tend to think it's not John because I've never seen any other picture of him with similar clothes + if you zoom on the picture and his face, that's not him for me.

Here are some pics of Philippe Paringaux :

That's Philippe on the left

Another photo

It's a pity I can't find pictures of Paringaux from the time he was working as chief editor with Rock & Folk in Paris in the beginning of the 70's.

post-16114-0-87963800-1396020511_thumb.j

post-16114-0-76554300-1396020605_thumb.j

Edited by seaweed gate

Spot on with the LZ I box set release next June I believe. Weird thing is the article came way before the official statement about 2014 releases ...

...Thank you for your generous contribution, could you please confirm the photographer/source credit of Photos, perhaps in the index/cover page... these photos reside in the mystery photos for the longest time, this shall be helpful... thank you...

...The airport photos...

Edited by PlanetPage

...Thank you for your generous contribution, could you please confirm the photographer/source credit of Photos, perhaps in the index/cover page... these photos reside in the mystery photos for the longest time, this shall be helpful... thank you...

...The airport photos...

The Paris airport photos are all signed by Christian Rose, I think. Photo credits are attributed to him page 54.

Plus there's another explicit mention of it p.62 when they say one of Christian Rose's photos shot at the airport was selected to illustrate the cover of the 45 rpm French pressing of "Whole Lotta Love".

For a long time I've thought this guy was John Bonham himself. I'm not so sure about that, noawadays. I tend to think it's not John because I've never seen any other picture of him with similar clothes + if you zoom on the picture and his face, that's not him for me.

Here are some pics of Philippe Paringaux :

That's Philippe on the left

Another photo

It's a pity I can't find pictures of Paringaux from the time he was working as chief editor with Rock & Folk in Paris in the beginning of the 70's.

">http://Philippephotographer_zps0c648fa1.gif

Barney Wilen et Philippe Paringaux avec A suivre nr 94

(nov. 1985) couv. coul. Barney et la note bleue, Sc. Paringaux.

http://www.barneywilen.com/

....and a small photo from earlier era as discussed of P Paringaux.......in this autobio link..

http://fuzzine.over-blog.com/article-rock-critique-philippe-paringeaux-rock-fran-ais-le-grand-complexe-part-1-116324367.html

Edited by PlanetPage

Thank you for the photo, I knew that one. This was taken in 1985, apparently.

Frankly I have some serious doubt about Philippe Paringaux being the guy in black with mustache and leather boots beside Jimmy Page at the Paris airport.

I've found some French TV archives on the INA (Institut National de l'Audiovisuel) website. The INA is an official administration which has in charge of preserving the memory of past TV documents.

http://www.ina.fr/video/I00006372/ten-years-after-going-home-video.html

Here is above an excerpt of Philippe Paringaux presenting Ten Years After in 1969. Be careful, Philippe is the SECOND journalist in order of appearances, NOT the first one. After watching this document which is dated from the same year as the photo, 1969, it's seems reasonable to say that Philippe Paringaux is NOT the person with Jimmy Page at the airport.

I still think it's John Bonham itself.

What do you all think about that ? Give us some feedback, please.

Edited by seaweed gate

The Paris airport photos are all signed by Christian Rose, I think. Photo credits are attributed to him page 54.

Plus there's another explicit mention of it p.62 when they say one of Christian Rose's photos shot at the airport was selected to illustrate the cover of the 45 rpm French pressing of "Whole Lotta Love".

...Thank you for this identification, and that most engaging video of Ten Years After, I would say that that the journalist in the photos is not Philippe Paringaux, as he appears in about 56 seconds mark...I think the photo from the link I posted about his autobio matches him to be in the video....

It is interesting magazine, I will see if it is readily available....

...here is background of Christian Rose, Photographer since 1965... He is based in Paris, so those photos of Jimmy are indeed from Paris...

http://christianrosephoto.web.fc2.com/Christian_Rose/Welcome.html

For more than forty five years his pictures of musicians have continued to appear in the international press, in books, on films and TV, and at exhibitions worldwide.

This webpage is an opportunity for photo enthusiasts, publishers or collectors to contact Christian Rose or just learn more about the photographer and his work.

For publishing inquiries, exhibitions and purchases of collectable prints, please contact directly :

Christian Rose

Address: 4 rue de Civry, 75016 Paris, France

Tel: +33 (0)1 46 51 40 34

Cell: +33 (0)6 77 09 72 73

Email: christianrose.photos*free.fr (replace * by @)

Do not hesitate to contact us to inquire about pictures of a particular musician. Our archives contains more than 10,000 references.

All pictures published on this website are protected by copyright ©Christian Rose and cannot be reproduced without authorization of Christian Rose.

Edited by PlanetPage

• 1 month later...