Kieth Relf faulty memory

mos6507

WS: It must have been Jeff and Jimmy playing when you did "Blow Up". I remember in the movie Jimmy's on lead and I swear that on the record it's ...you can hear Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page -- or was it my imagination?

KR: That's your imagination.

As for his faulty memory, he did forget to unplug the blow dryer once. :unsure:

:slapface: Forgive me....I had to.....it was just hanging there.....I'm not even sure that's what happened. Blame it on the time change.....or just the change.

As for his faulty memory, he did forget to unplug the blow dryer once. :unsure:

:slapface: Forgive me....I had to.....it was just hanging there.....I'm not even sure that's what happened. Blame it on the time change.....or just the change.

Yeah very funny... :rolleyes:

Relf has lied before when it comes to questions about his days as a Yardbird and I think this is shown here. He probably remembers that they recorded Tangerine but said no so that he could avoid additional questions. I'm guessing that he didn't care much about possible royalties from it either.

Yeah very funny... :rolleyes:

Relf has lied before when it comes to questions about his days as a Yardbird and I think this is shown here. He probably remembers that they recorded Tangerine but said no so that he could avoid additional questions. I'm guessing that he didn't care much about possible royalties from it either.

Keith's sister adamantly suggests it is Keith to whom royalties are owned, and there is

evidence to suggest Tangerine was lifted from Knowing That I'm Losing You.

I'd suggest Keith's sister is suggesting it is Keith's sister to whom royalties are owed, since he's hardly in a position to either ask for them or benefit from them anymore.

Realy sad IMHO - who knows what agreements he and JP had before his death?

Keith's sister adamantly suggests it is Keith to whom royalties are owned, and there is

evidence to suggest Tangerine was lifted from Knowing That I'm Losing You.

Yes, the real credits should read "Page/Plant/Relf" no doubt about that, but if Keith thought so or if he cared about the money in '74 is another question. I know that he wasn't that rich when he died two years later so he had surely benefited from the royalties if he had chosen to take legal action.

I'd suggest Keith's sister is suggesting it is Keith's sister to whom royalties are owed, since he's hardly in a position to either ask for them or benefit from them anymore.

Realy sad IMHO - who knows what agreements he and JP had before his death?

"My brother plucked that session man out of obscurity and gave him a job and that's how he repaid him?" "My brother was not well-off at the end of his life and the royalties for that song could have helped out considerably."

Jane Relf

"My brother plucked that session man out of obscurity and gave him a job and that's how he repaid him?" "My brother was not well-off at the end of his life and the royalties for that song could have helped out considerably."

Jane Relf

There are several problems with this quote:

1. Jimmy furthered the career of The Yardbirds just as much as The Yardbirds helped him. Without Jimmy, The Yardbirds would have disintegrated in 1967 and Keith would have faded into obscurity. Also, Keith made more money in 1967-68 than he made the previous 5 years combined -- that wouldn't have happened if Jimmy hadn't joined. Jane should be thanking Jimmy.

2. there is no proof that Relf wrote any part of "Knowing That I'm Losing You". In fact, he publicly distanced himself from "Tangerine" and made NO effort to collect royalties for SIX YEARS before his death. Hmmm.

3. even if Relf co-wrote song, there's no proof that he copyrighted it.

4. even if Relf was entitled to royalties, all he had to do was contact a lawyer. Even after Relf's death, his estate did nothing to pursue legal action against Jimmy.

5. What, exactly, is Jane Relf's problem? It's not Jimmy's fault that her brother failed to make a claim on the song. If Keith has a legitimate case, then why doesn't Jane find a lawyer who will take it on contingency?

It's easy for Jane to open up her mouth and spew a bunch of innuendo. But when it comes time to "put her money where her mouth is", she suddenly shuts up.

What, exactly, is Jane Relf's problem?

I can't speak for her, nor the many Yardbirds fans who have an ardent anti-Page bias. I can say in my own opinion they seem to resent the enormous shadow his two year stint with that band casts over their entire legacy. I wholeheartedly agree that had Jimmy not been brought in the Yardbirds would have disintegrated much sooner than they did.

I can't speak for her, nor the many Yardbirds fans who have an ardent anti-Page bias. I can say in my own opinion they seem to resent the enormous shadow his two year stint with that band casts over their entire legacy. I wholeheartedly agree that had Jimmy not been brought in the Yardbirds would have disintegrated much sooner than they did.

....SAJ, Pardon my lack of knowledge/understanding pls.....do you see this as 'concern" in relation to the Induction ceremonies in anyway....I wonder how the Yardbirds fans will be receptive of this...

Is Jimmy generally disliked within the Yardbird community? I wasn't aware there was such a bias against him. That's quite sad. I'm assuming Led Zeppelin went down like a lead balloon with these fans then?

do you see this as 'concern" in relation to the Induction ceremonies in anyway....I wonder how the Yardbirds fans will be receptive of this...

Why? This time Jeff will enter the HOF as solo artist. The Yardbirds have already entered it.

Why? This time Jeff will enter the HOF as solo artist. The Yardbirds have already entered it.

From what I understand so far....Jimmy is not favored by the Yardbirds fan base, Jeff is more favored by "that" fan base, who are aware of this event....I think fans are just fans.....they do take sides regardless how Jeff enters the HOF....

but if Jeff/Jimmy value their friendship...than all the better....

and I do hope they all solve this unfortunate event....it doesn't look for people who have so much $$$$$$$$...

very sincerely,

sorry, if I didn't make my self clear.....

:D

....SAJ, Pardon my lack of knowledge/understanding pls.....do you see this as 'concern" in relation to the Induction ceremonies in anyway....I wonder how the Yardbirds fans will be receptive of this...

No, not particularly. The Yardbirds were inducted back in 1992. The only uncomfortable

moment was when Jeff remarked he should be proud but he wasn't because they had kicked him out. Jimmy (and most others in attendance) laughed about it.

Is Jimmy generally disliked within the Yardbird community? I wasn't aware there was such a bias against him. That's quite sad. I'm assuming Led Zeppelin went down like a lead balloon with these fans then?

I wasn't as aware of this anti-Page bias either until I collaborated with Greg Russo on the third edition of his book 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave Up!' My objective was to

ensure the Page era of the group was further documented, specifically by helping to

confirm all of their public performances with him. I encountered many who not only

felt this was the band's least artistically vibrant phase but that Jimmy stole most of

the ideas they did develop during this time for Led Zeppelin. I could get into how

some of these same critics insist upon exaggerating the influence of The Yardbirds

and diminishing the achievements of Led Zeppelin but life's too short to get into old arguments once again. I do respect The Yardbirds and I certainly respect Jimmy.

Nuff' said.

I wasn't as aware of this anti-Page bias either until I collaborated with Greg Russo on the third edition of his book 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave Up!' My objective was to

ensure the Page era of the group was further documented, specifically by helping to

confirm all of their public performances with him. I encountered many who not only

felt this was the band's least artistically vibrant phase but that Jimmy stole most of

the ideas they did develop during this time for Led Zeppelin. I could get into how

some of these same critics insist upon exaggerating the influence of The Yardbirds

and diminishing the achievements of Led Zeppelin but life's too short to get into old arguments once again. I do respect The Yardbirds and I certainly respect Jimmy.

Nuff' said.

Yes Steve, I have read the same type of attitude towards Jimmy's time with the band also. Seems like he has never really received positive accalades from that time period. I definitely associate it with him using the songs that were being created by the band, with Zeppelin. I'm sure using the name The New Yardbirds didn't help either when starting Zep, along with playing "For Your Love" early on during tours. Like you said respect is deserved all the way around! They have an amazing lineage of guitarists and should be remembered for such.

Nuff' said.

Thanks for that, Steve.

I actually like the Page-era quite a bit. Whilst I'll admit they were probably at their peak with Beck, they certainly weren't terrible with Jimmy.

Thanks for that, Steve.

I actually like the Page-era quite a bit. Whilst I'll admit they were probably at their peak with Beck, they certainly weren't terrible with Jimmy.

Agree also, they were pretty worn out when Jimmy came on the road with them. Luckily, for them, they had a lion wailing on guitar to keep them going. :D

Peace.

Archived