Best underrated Zep song? My pick: The Rover

dpat

Yeah,you tell can Plant's emotions on these vocals are connected directly to his gut and linked to his heart.

That last keyboard sequence by JPJ at the end of the song to me ,makes mysterious the overall outcome.Lest we not include the killer solo by Page,or some of the (unexpected to me) tempo of JHB drumming .

Concisely put,a fucking excellent song.

Well concisely put :D Yes the end is really powerful but even the opening keyboard sequence is melancholy to my ears.

Well concisely put :D Yes the end is really powerful but even the opening keyboard sequence is melancholy to my ears.

Very true. I'm Gonna Crawl is so good it's haunting. Those atmospheric keyboard strings on the intro and outro say so much with so few notes by JPJ. It's so incredibly serene yet powerful, almost as a portents of the end of Led Zeppelin, a last homage to SIBLY and TFO but with a modern edge. It shows such maturity and an awesome display of growth, the perfect musical composition that evokes the end of a dynasty. THE dynasty. They were still coming up with new styles even on the way out. The production of ITTOD is impeccable. Each song on ITTOD is TOTALLY different.

Tea For One is another one, the best blues every laid down this side of Since I've Been Loving You. Never heard any other so-called blues players ever come EVEN CLOSE to cutting as deep as Page on Tea For One. In fact I'm convinced that better blues playing DOES NOT EXIST. The level of dynamics is staggering. Add in the ensemble chemistry of Led Zeppelin to the track....there's nothing missing, it's the holy grail of modern blues. It's as flawless and honest as you can ever get with a 4 piece band. And that's coming from a band that plays tons of other styles JUST AS GOOD, heavy, soft, progressive, folk, you name it. That why they were never equalled.

I'm sure they have already been said, but I agree with Tea For One, The Rover, I Can't Quit You Baby, D'yer Mak'er, Your Time Is Gonna Come, Out On The Tiles, We're Gonna Groove, Walter's Walk, Wearing and Tearing, Ozone Baby, Hey Hey What Can I Do, Fool In The Rain, I'm Gonna Crawl.

I'm sure they have already been said, but I agree with Tea For One, The Rover, I Can't Quit You Baby, D'yer Mak'er, Your Time Is Gonna Come, Out On The Tiles, We're Gonna Groove, Walter's Walk, Wearing and Tearing, Ozone Baby, Hey Hey What Can I Do, Fool In The Rain, I'm Gonna Crawl.

Walter's Walk! That is one of the most kickass Zep tunes ever. It totally CRUSHES. Heavy as heavy can be.

Very true. I'm Gonna Crawl is so good it's haunting. Those atmospheric keyboard strings on the intro and outro say so much with so few notes by JPJ. It's so incredibly serene yet powerful, almost as a portents of the end of Led Zeppelin, a last homage to SIBLY and TFO but with a modern edge. It shows such maturity and an awesome display of growth, the perfect musical composition that evokes the end of a dynasty. THE dynasty. They were still coming up with new styles even on the way out. The production of ITTOD is impeccable. Each song on ITTOD is TOTALLY different.

Nicely put :)

I love The Rover! :D

My friend and I have an idea for a TV show that would chronicle the adventures of the crew of a Zeppelin in a future post-apocalyptic world, with The Rover as the theme song. Each episode would also feature one other Led Zeppelin song, and that episode would share the song's title. We've even thought of having one show where the entire episode would be set to one long live version of Dazed and Confused.

I never thought before of "I'm Gonna Crawl" as being a continuation of or homage to the energy/vibe of SIBLY and Tea For One. Great connection. You make a really good point here about IITOD- I think it always gets a short shrift and is underrated.

"I'm Gonna Crawl" is a perfect closing to the final album the way "The End" is for Abbey Road- a great summation of a great band.

My other choices for most underrated: The Rover, For Your Life, Tea For One, Fool In The Rain.

Walter's Walk! That is one of the most kickass Zep tunes ever. It totally CRUSHES. Heavy as heavy can be.

I know what you mean, I just love the sound on a lot of these CODA songs, the drums on Walter's Walk in the intro is just amazing, doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before.

EDIT: You should listen to As Long As I Have You, I think you would really like that song too.

I think "the Rover" and "In the Light" are two of the most underrrated Led Zeppelin songs of all-time. IF I had to choose my top 5 favorite LZ songs they would be as follows (and in no particular order).

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

The Rover

In the Light

Achilles Last Stand...

The Rover is one of the most perfect Zeppelin songs all around. One of the few Plant lyrics I actually really like, the rhythm section phenomanal, & definately in Page's top 3 riffs.

Unfortunately the one time Page played it in full live was with David Coverdale & Poison. I can't even fathom that that had actually happend but it did.

Though there are many, at first thought I would say Ten Years Gone. Very deep and heavy and emotional! I would guess it must be a favorite of some of the band members.

i agree...Ten Years Gone. It is one of my all time favorite songs.

• 4 years later...

The first side of the LZ III album. More than one, but that is totally underrated. Just because it is the best album side of all time, to me. It doesn't get any better. My favorites, and they work so mysteriously well in their order.

i know they are all very popular, esp IS, but i still think they are WAY underrated.

Wanton Song pretty much does it for me. It's the pinnacle of underated songs. About 70% of Zepp "fans" don't even know it exists, they like to stick to Stairway and Whole Lotta Love, "yeah man I'm so into Zeppelin! If I know the rover? yeah he's a good dog", stuff like that hahaha.

The first side of the LZ III album. More than one, but that is totally underrated. Just because it is the best album side of all time, to me. It doesn't get any better. My favorites, and they work so mysteriously well in their order.

i know they are all very popular, esp IS, but i still think they are WAY underrated.

I agree.. Side 1 of LZ3 covers everything Led Zeppelin set out to do.. It's Heavy, Bluesy, Eerie, Folky, Trippy and Happy.

And, to think the brilliant connecting of Friends into Celebration Day was to fix a studio accident is unbelievable.

Friends gets my vote for their greatest most overlooked song..

For Your Life would have gotten my vote but I think the 02 performance has given it a big boost..

I agree.. Side 1 of LZ3 covers everything Led Zeppelin set out to do.. It's Heavy, Bluesy, Eerie, Folky, Trippy and Happy.

And, to think the brilliant connecting of Friends into Celebration Day was to fix a studio accident is unbelievable.

Friends gets my vote for their greatest most overlooked song..

For Your Life would have gotten my vote but I think the 02 performance has given it a big boost..

I completely forgot about friends, and I'd also like to point out the whole Presence album.

Archived