Religions

Heartbreaker_Girl

There was an interview when Page/Plant were touring, where they spoke about religion and politics. They both said that they were "left" of center and (I'm paraphrasing from memory, so don't hang me) Christian, or believed in the Bible. It was an eastern European interview (Bulgaria?).

Remember also, Jimmy was a Producer for the group. So anything that would create interest, mystery, or intrigue was fair game. Put his interest in the occult in a "marketing" perspective. Plus don't discount their sense of humor. If ten thousand kids were gonna buy the fourth album just to play Stairway backwards, then so be it. If you wanted to be one of the first to buy Zep III then you get the Do what thou.... inscription on it. As much as they are the greatest band in the world, they didn't want to do it for free. Think of all the mysteries that helped album sales:

Jimmy lives in a castle

Jimmy lives in Aleister's castle

Jimmy wrote everything in his castle.

Jimmy does Satan ceremonies............in his castle.

Jimmy made sure that the backward masking on STH was recorded .....in his castle.

Bonzo died in Jimmy's castle......

We all have heard, AND repeated each of these when we were younger. And it all added to the mysteries of why we bought more of their albums. Or maybe we just bought them because Led Zep did a Satanic ceremony for their success.....

in the dungeon of Jimmy's castle.

I didn't hear or repeat any of those "mysteries" when I was younger, given that every one of them is wrong (and none of them would have had any effect on whether I bought the albums or not, given that they have nothing to do with the music), and I think it's doing Jimmy a great disservice to suggest that his genuine interest in the occult was even partly a marketing ploy. (Or that marketing ploys have anything to do with producing records.)

There was an interview when Page/Plant were touring, where they spoke about religion and politics. They both said that they were "left" of center and (I'm paraphrasing from memory, so don't hang me) Christian, or believed in the Bible. It was an eastern European interview (Bulgaria?).

Remember also, Jimmy was a Producer for the group. So anything that would create interest, mystery, or intrigue was fair game. Put his interest in the occult in a "marketing" perspective. Plus don't discount their sense of humor. If ten thousand kids were gonna buy the fourth album just to play Stairway backwards, then so be it. If you wanted to be one of the first to buy Zep III then you get the Do what thou.... inscription on it. As much as they are the greatest band in the world, they didn't want to do it for free. Think of all the mysteries that helped album sales:

Jimmy lives in a castle

Jimmy lives in Aleister's castle

Jimmy wrote everything in his castle.

Jimmy does Satan ceremonies............in his castle.

Jimmy made sure that the backward masking on STH was recorded .....in his castle.

Bonzo died in Jimmy's castle......

We all have heard, AND repeated each of these when we were younger. And it all added to the mysteries of why we bought more of their albums. Or maybe we just bought them because Led Zep did a Satanic ceremony for their success.....

What sold albums was the fact they were an amazing band.

Can't disagree more.

Fair enough. Yes they are all ploys and untrue gossip and rumors. And yes, every single untrue rumor about them assisted in their success. Including the shark incident-even with it's fabrications and lies. Do not look thru the spectrum of the music being thirty or forty years old and timeless. It very well is. Imagine you're a 17 year old and Houses of the Holy just came out.

I do not know of an instance where "rumors" like these were dispelled by the band: at the time. Let me know if Im wrong

Let me take what you've named as example.

Jimmy lives in a castle Jimmy does have a castle, the Tower House in London.

Jimmy lives in Aleister's castle No, Aleister Crowly didn't have a castle, the Boleskine House is not a castle.

Jimmy wrote everything in his castle. As a Zep fan you would know it's simply not true.

Jimmy does Satan ceremonies............in his castle. Ha?

Jimmy made sure that the backward masking on STH was recorded .....in his castle. STH was recorded in Headly Grange not the Tower House or the Boleskine House.

Bonzo died in Jimmy's castle...... Bonzo died in the Old Mill House, not the Tower House or the Boleskine House.

Thus, I don't believe in any of those craps.

Fair enough. Yes they are all ploys and untrue gossip and rumors. And yes, every single untrue rumor about them assisted in their success. Including the shark incident-even with it's fabrications and lies. Do not look thru the spectrum of the music being thirty or forty years old and timeless. It very well is. Imagine you're a 17 year old and Houses of the Holy just came out.

I do not know of an instance where "rumors" like these were dispelled by the band: at the time. Let me know if Im wrong

This implies that they deliberately invented and played on these rumors in order to sell records, which is crap. I don't know ONE SINGLE PERSON who bought their albums because of rumors like that--they bought them for the music, period.

Oh, and they didn't need to dispel most of those rumors at the time because the truth--where Jimmy lived, for example--was already out there in print. Only people determined to believe ludicrous stories would have believed those rumors, and there's no point trying to enlighten them anyway. If I were Jimmy Page, I'd have considered it completely pointless to say "No, I don't conduct Satanic rituals" to idiots determined to believe I did.

This implies that they deliberately invented and played on these rumors in order to sell records, which is crap. I don't know ONE SINGLE PERSON who bought their albums because of rumors like that--they bought them for the music, period.

Oh, and they didn't need to dispel most of those rumors at the time because the truth--where Jimmy lived, for example--was already out there in print. Only people determined to believe ludicrous stories would have believed those rumors, and there's no point trying to enlighten them anyway. If I were Jimmy Page, I'd have considered it completely pointless to say "No, I don't conduct Satanic rituals" to idiots determined to believe I did.

:yesnod: I've never bought an album by anyone because of rumors. I don't know anyone who has either. I've always thought the same thing about Jimmy and dispelling rumors. People will stubbornly cling to their beliefs no matter what is said to the contrary.

Guys,

I'm not saying that this nonsense is true. It's all rumors, gossip, and innuendo. But the facts remain, it did help create the "mystique" of the band. I didn't even get into the crap about the..."black smoke and Swabian chants....coming from Jimmy's castle ....after Bonzo died..." (Hammer of the Gods).

"Mystique" does help sell albums. Of course the music is the best ever created, that's why we are always here. I'm just putting it into a 15 year olds perspective. Remember hanging with your pals in a basement sneaking beer? Listening to Houses of the Holy.....Oh yeah, and it's Roberts daughter on the album....Cool......Let me see....Is that Jimmy's castle inside Zeppelin 4? Yeah dude, check out Jimmy climbing to see the Hermit. Cool.

That's the picture I remember.

Let me take what you've named as example.

Jimmy lives in a castle Jimmy does have a castle, the Tower House in London.

Jimmy lives in Aleister's castle No, Aleister Crowly didn't have a castle, the Boleskine House is not a castle.

Jimmy wrote everything in his castle. As a Zep fan you would know it's simply not true.

Jimmy does Satan ceremonies............in his castle. Ha?

Jimmy made sure that the backward masking on STH was recorded .....in his castle. STH was recorded in Headly Grange not the Tower House or the Boleskine House.

Bonzo died in Jimmy's castle...... Bonzo died in the Old Mill House, not the Tower House or the Boleskine House.

Thus, I don't believe in any of those craps.

Of course it was all nonsense. But it did add to the mysteriousness of the band. And alot of kids bought into this crap.

:yesnod: I've never bought an album by anyone because of rumors. I don't know anyone who has either. I've always thought the same thing about Jimmy and dispelling rumors. People will stubbornly cling to their beliefs no matter what is said to the contrary.

Agreed. The music will always stand up on its own, and that is what LZ was after. But "the shark incident" didn't hurt promoting the band either.

Yeah, can you just imagine that Press Conference? "Jimmy did you do satanic rituals to make the band successfull?".

There is a source that has Jimmy talking about the "do what thou wilt..." on the first pressings of Zeppelin III. Sorry, I don't remember, but it speaks of his sense of humor/marketing.

He was asked this by reporters all the time. ;)

At the time of LZ? and if he was did he ever give a clear answer. I know he was asked many times afterwards and he always gave a no answer.

I always figured he let the rumors go to increase intrigue, or just didn't wan't to address it. Even illinformed fans buy LZ merchandise. But, if you know of any clear interviews during LZ days, I don't mind being corrected.

Take Care.

At the time of LZ? and if he was did he ever give a clear answer. I know he was asked many times afterwards and he always gave a no answer.

I always figured he let the rumors go to increase intrigue, or just didn't wan't to address it. Even illinformed fans buy LZ merchandise. But, if you know of any clear interviews during LZ days, I don't mind being corrected.

Take Care.

I agree that he let the rumors become more intrigue, but disagree that it was for sale.

Take Care.

You know what? Yes, you're absolutely right in every detail, and I'm totally wrong about everything I've ever said or thought about the band, I admit it. Thus there is no point in me digging out years of interviews.

You know what? Yes, you're absolutely right in every detail, and I'm totally wrong about everything I've ever said or thought about the band, I admit it. Thus there is no point in me digging out years of interviews.

Aqua,

I wasn't being sarcastic. I honestly didn't know the answer, that's why I didn't mind being corrected. Sorry.

Not being able to experience Zeppelin first-hand, I always got the impression that any perpetual myths circulating were done so after they broke up.

Not really. I remember Robert once(In the Zeppelin days) saying Jimmy was actually glad that people believed in those mysteries and didn't come to know the real him, he kinda enjoyed the misled image and felt more relieved behind it.

But it was NOT for sale.

Not really. I remember Robert once(In the Zeppelin days) saying Jimmy was actually glad that people believed in those mysteries and didn't come to know the real him, he kinda enjoyed the misled image and felt more relieved behind it.

But it was NOT for sale.

Well, I never said anything about their beliefs being used as a marketing ploy. And I can't see them doing it, either.

I just always got the impression that all the really hardcore satanic shizzle that occured, came after they split up. I'm aware that they had rumours dogging them during their time, but I always got the impression that they weren't as exaggerated until after Zeppelin. Oh, well. I guess that was just me, then.

Well, I never said anything about their beliefs being used as a marketing ploy. And I can't see them doing it, either.

I just always got the impression that all the really hardcore satanic shizzle that occured, came after they split up. I'm aware that they had rumours dogging them during their time, but I always got the impression that they weren't as exaggerated until after Zeppelin. Oh, well. I guess that was just me, then.

Oops, my last sentence was not addressed at you. But at zosoman11 who insisted that it was a marketing ploy.

And you are, in a certain way, right about the "satanic shizzle". The "backward message theory" came out, if I remember correctly in 1981.

Oops, my last sentence was not addressed at you. But at zosoman11 who insisted that it was a marketing ploy.

And you are, in a certain way, right about the "satanic shizzle". The "backward message theory" came out, if I remember correctly in 1981.

:D

No worries.

I couldn't think of the appropriate wording, and, well, it's all clearly shite, isn't it? That giant turd, Hammer of the Gods, didn't exactly let it run its course, either.

:D

No worries.

I couldn't think of the appropriate wording, and, well, it's all clearly shite, isn't it? That giant turd, Hammer of the Gods, didn't exactly let it run its course, either.

No it certainly didn't and I think sadly a lot of people gravitate towards that book early on after they discover the band, to "learn" more about Zep which is probably why these rumours and such are still around.

But I will reiterate what I said, along with others, that they may have had an air of mystery around them but it wasn't used to generate sales. The other thing is, Robert once said in an interview around 2005 that one doesn't need to put everything out there for the public and I think he's right. So you could view that "mystery" really as privacy to a certain extent. What they did on their off time was their choice and wanting to keep that out of the media certainly is fair and respectable.

Not insisting it was a marketing ploy, but something that was fair game to be taken advantage of in order to sell more music. Not in a KISS sense mind you. But Zeppelin did know how to flaunt it. The symbolism, the occult, the party rumors, ALL of it, was used successfully to market the band.

Yes they were the best at making music. But they didn't do it for free. Even their fourth album was promoted and market driven by intrigue and mystery. What's the name of it again?

SuperHype Publishing? what does it mean to hype something?

What does Zoso mean? (how many posters were sold for that one?) Even my page/plant tour tshirt has just their symbols on it. People bought this stuff coz it was cool.

Even members of Tim McGraw's country music band (CMTV) said in an interview-"we always wanted to be like Zeppelin, live in a castle and write music" I almost fell out of my chair.

Like it or not, the rumors, gossip, mysteries...true or not: added to the band's pocket books. And, personally speaking, I'm fine with that.

Archived