Disaster unfolding

Gegenschein

Lord have mercy. I don't know where to even post this, I feel so completely devastated.

This message from a blog spelled nightmare:

hey this is pall--- anyone want or know anyone who wants to release the new black heart record --- just lets us know --- we need a good company --- touch and go is no longer releasing new records --- so all the bands have to find new homes -- sad times

I know no one on this board even heard of them, but Three Mile Pilot and Black Heart Procession are the legendary independent bands from San Diego. Three Mile Pilot sold completely out three nights in a row at the Casbah and now they're without a label. Pinback will be next. The world is falling apart. I don't know anyone with connections to record labels. This is hopeless.

I'm sorry I posted here. Just cannot see through the desperation. I've been waiting for the next 3MP album for 11 years. Now that they're recording it, their label is folding. I can't believe this is happening.

I've heard of Black Heart Procession! I think I saw them open for somebody else a million years ago, now that I think about it. Never heard of Three Mile Pilot for some reason, though...I'll have to check them out.

Touch & Go is going out of business, huh? Wow, they're not exactly a small label. I wish I could help them out, but I have no connections in the local music business (other than being an avid concert-goer). Hmm, if anyone could help them, I would think it would be Tim Mays, the owner of the Casbah. Everybody, and I mean everybody, around here knows him, so maybe they can talk some business after the shows...?

And I mean, if they can't sign with a major indie label, we have some decent-sized labels around here that they can come back to. Don't lose hope just yet!! I'm sure bands with their kind of clout will figure something out.

The nation is in an economic downturn. California has recently seen a rise in unemployment to 10.1 per cent, in addition to a brisk business in home foreclosures. If you go to a job interview they tell you that on the average they once received 3 responses to their ad, when now they get 60 people applying.

And local churches have reported an increase in requests for assistance with groceries. We will soon experience an increase in fees from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and an increase in our sales tax. And retirees have seen their portfolios lose value. A record label folding could be related to the current economic climate.

Touch & Go is actually out of Chicago, but you're right, nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of local labels did go out of business...some of them weren't even doing too well when the economy was good. We do have some pretty stable ones around here, though, like Surfdog and Three One G, that I'm sure would love to have bands like those back on their label if they can't find anything bigger to go to.

It's just a surprise to me that T&G would downsize so much...they're pretty big for an indie label. They've released stuff by the Butthole Surfers, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV on the Radio, the Jesus Lizard, etc. If they're SOL, the little guys will definitely be next.

I hate seeing the indie labels folding - always been a big supporter of them but alas this has been happening throughout the industry for a while. Even the majors are a shadow of their former existance. It's just a really sad state of affairs :(

I've heard of Black Heart Procession! I think I saw them open for somebody else a million years ago, now that I think about it. Never heard of Three Mile Pilot for some reason, though...I'll have to check them out.

I always thought BHP is relatively memorable because... how many bands have you seen who play musical saw? And 3MP haven't played a live gig or released any studio recordings since 1998. But last year in November they announced 2 nights at the Casbah 20th anniversary (January 20009) - the tickets sold out rather quickly... so a 3rd night was added - and also sold out. On the whole Casbah roster no other band matched that. I think they were a bit shocked - thought they've been forgotten after 10 years of silence. But 3MP is a true legend in San Diego.

Touch & Go is going out of business, huh? Wow, they're not exactly a small label. I wish I could help them out, but I have no connections in the local music business (other than being an avid concert-goer). Hmm, if anyone could help them, I would think it would be Tim Mays, the owner of the Casbah. Everybody, and I mean everybody, around here knows him, so maybe they can talk some business after the shows...?

Pall and Tim are good friends as far as I know... so that's probably covered.

And I mean, if they can't sign with a major indie label, we have some decent-sized labels around here that they can come back to. Don't lose hope just yet!! I'm sure bands with their kind of clout will figure something out.

God, I feel so helpless. They're such wonderful, genuinely kind people.

And yes, everyone formerly with Touch & Go will be out on the street corner, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Corey Rusk just celebrated 25th anniversary of his label in 2006 (a September 2006 festival in Chicago) and now it's gone. So sad.

Archived