Robert in the 60's

Heartbreaker_Girl

Let's see, Robert started the 1960's as a 12 year old, and ended it at 21.

So, for those pre-Zep photos he was what, 16? 18?

And, for the bulk of the decade he was not famous, and not rich. And he lived in industrial Birmingham.

I'd say he looks in those photos like any other teenager at that stage in their life does. Awkward.

Sorry to be picky but he didn't live in Birmingham, and the whole city wasn't "industrial". The areas of the Black Country he grew up in are some of the most beautiful in the UK.

rp67.jpg

Shirley!!!

Are you in there Knebby? :rolleyes:

Robert does not look sad, he is a teenager, so he has too be "Moody", and of course he loved "The Blues", so maybe he should have got together with Mike Pinder and Ray Thomas.

Regards, Danny

i have often thought about the fact that with the kazillions of photos of jimmy and robert that are out there today, it's amazing that there isn't more "bad" pics of them. i mean, in 99% of their photos they are wonderfully photogenic. and not just in posed studio pics either. if i were to have 100 pics taken, i would be lucky to have 1 where i looked ok! i also personally like to see pics where they aren't always smiling, it's nice to see different expressions. more natural.

:lol:

Haha, the only thing that matters is, he's hot :D

Distracted by the hot hair?

If you find haystacks hot sure :lol:

I wouldn't want to drop anything on that hair lol.

Either which way you're right he's hot is all that matters.

;)

You guys for sure have seen that pic of him with the Indian dude outside a church, looks sad too? lol. No I don't think his face expresses sadness in his 60's pics. IMHO - I think he is naturally petulant-looking as a kid - sort of like anti-establishment look about him, which is I dunno if his own doing prolly just that's his expression. That which turned into smouldering I-dare-you look which we all fall for. In that 10-man picket I think he was squinting from glares of sun or cameras. Anyway as cheesy as he was in those Shakespearean outfits :lol: and hair cuts he was the cutest face still right?

When he emerged from the 1977 tragedy is when I will believe true sadness, belied by him being all grown up all of a sudden...

Also I read that he came from a pretty well-off family. He worked in factories and such after he left home at 16 to pursue music.....

:lol:

If you find haystacks hot sure :lol:

I wouldn't want to drop anything on that hair lol.

Either which way you're right he's hot is all that matters.

;)

You guys for sure have seen that pic of him with the Indian dude outside a church, looks sad too? lol. No I don't think his face expresses sadness in his 60's pics. IMHO - I think he is naturally petulant-looking as a kid - sort of like anti-establishment look about him, which is I dunno if his own doing prolly just that's his expression. That which turned into smouldering I-dare-you look which we all fall for. In that 10-man picket I think he was squinting from glares of sun or cameras. Anyway as cheesy as he was in those Shakespearean outfits :lol: and hair cuts he was the cutest face still right?

When he emerged from the 1977 tragedy is when I will believe true sadness, belied by him being all grown up all of a sudden...

Also I read that he came from a pretty well-off family. He worked in factories and such after he left home at 16 to pursue music.....

I was under the impression Robert's family was middle class - not really wealthy, though I could be wrong. I also thought he had a job laying asphalt on the highway. Never heard about working in a factory but again, I could be wrong.

I was under the impression Robert's family was middle class - not really wealthy, though I could be wrong. I also thought he had a job laying asphalt on the highway. Never heard about working in a factory but again, I could be wrong.

I read the info from an interview where he quoted this. By no means they were aristocratic but pretty comfortable as he conjectured. Sorry I don't recall that source no more, I just recall his quotes.

In the book Led Zep Talking he told of a story that he was sacked from being a Manager of something in a factory in India when he ordered 2 years way too much supply of something...

August 10, 1967 Magistrates Court in Wednesburg, England

Robert Plant and friends protest his pot possession charge

It wasn't a pot possesson charge, it was a careless driving charge.

And its Wednesbury.

Ok, frustratingly I can't put my hands on my original copy of the press release, but this is a photocopy of it, which is obviously poorer quality. In fact, this is a photocopy of the back of an original copy of the pic - you will see that it was stamped and labelled "Folder - HIPPIES" and the date received 14th August 1967.

pk662.jpg

The press release was sellotaped to the back. It may not be clear here, so this is what it reads - though I am leaving out the names of the girls (and have obscured them on the copy) for privacy's sake.

"ELLMAN, BIRMINGHAM. 10:8:67

HIPPIES ARMED WITH BANNERS CALLING FOR THE LEGALISATION OF "POT" PARADED OUTSIDE A COURT TODAY TO SUPPORT THEIR 18-YEAR-OLD LEADER, SINGER ROBERT PLANT, WHO WAS APPEARING BEFORE THE MAGISTRATES COURT AT WEDNESBURY ON A CHARGE OF CARELESS DRIVING. THE CASE WAS DISMISSED ON THE GROUNDS OF INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE.

ROBERT PLANT WHO IS APPARENTLY THE RECOGNISED LEADER OF THE MIDLAND FLOWER PEOPLE ARRIVED AT THE COURT DRESSED IN A GREEN VELVET ORIENTAL SUIT WITH BELL BOTTOM SLEEVES AND TROUSERS AND A YELLOW CRAVAT.

BEFORE THE CASE PLANT'S FOLLOWERS, ATTIRED IN GARMENTS ADORNED WITH FLOWERS AND CARRYING BANNERS, MARCHED UP AND DOWN OUTSIDE THE COURT.

OPS ''''''''''''''''''ROBERT PLANT WITH SOME OF HIS FOLLWERS, GIRL ON THE LEFT IS *************** (17) OF OLDBURY, STAFFS, GIRL ON THE RIGHT IS ***************** (15) OF WEST BROMWICH. "

:thumbsup: That's great Knebby! Thanks for posting that :D I laughed at the fact they labeled the folder "hippies" :lol:

AND he was recognised leader of the "MIDLAND FLOWER PEOPLE" :D

And all those nay-sayers said he would have been nothing without Jimmy. ;)

Ok, frustratingly I can't put my hands on my original copy of the press release, but this is a photocopy of it, which is obviously poorer quality. In fact, this is a photocopy of the back of an original copy of the pic - you will see that it was stamped and labelled "Folder - HIPPIES" and the date received 14th August 1967.

pk662.jpg

The press release was sellotaped to the back. It may not be clear here, so this is what it reads - though I am leaving out the names of the girls (and have obscured them on the copy) for privacy's sake.

HIPPIES ARMED WITH BANNERS CALLING FOR THE LEGALISATION OF "POT" PARADED OUTSIDE A COURT TODAY TO SUPPORT THEIR 18-YEAR-OLD LEADER, SINGER ROBERT PLANT, WHO WAS APPEARING BEFORE THE MAGISTRATES COURT AT WEDNESBURY ON A CHARGE OF CARELESS DRIVING. THE CASE WAS DISMISSED ON THE GROUNDS OF INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE.

ROBERT PLANT WHO IS APPARENTLY THE RECOGNISED LEADER OF THE MIDLAND FLOWER PEOPLE ARRIVED AT THE COURT DRESSED IN A GREEN VELVET ORIENTAL SUIT WITH BELL BOTTOM SLEEVES AND TROUSERS AND A YELLOW CRAVAT.

BEFORE THE CASE PLANT'S FOLLOWERS, ATTIRED IN GARMENTS ADORNED WITH FLOWERS AND CARRYING BANNERS, MARCHED UP AND DOWN OUTSIDE THE COURT.

OPS ''''''''''''''''''ROBERT PLANT WITH SOME OF HIS FOLLWERS, GIRL ON THE LEFT IS *************** (17) OF OLDBURY, STAFFS, GIRL ON THE RIGHT IS ***************** (15) OF WEST BROMWICH. "

Terrific substantiation of the events of that day. I have revised my files accordingly.

An interview with Robert was published in the Apr 1991 issue of High Times magazine,

a U.S.-based publication that advocate legalization of marijuana. When asked for his

opinion he replied (paraphrasing) "it's unfortunate it still remains an issue in society".

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when I was 14-15ish, people thought they looked cool not smiling.

I recall these chicks who all had rat-tail combs in their back jeans pocket, and that was supposed to be sooo cool. Along with the straightest lips they could pull off. :huh::unsure:

I couldn't do it. I always was smiling :D to the point where some people asked me why I smiled so much. :huh::blink:

And Robert does not look sad to me.

Let's see, Robert started the 1960's as a 12 year old, and ended it at 21.

So, for those pre-Zep photos he was what, 16? 18?

And, for the bulk of the decade he was not famous, and not rich. And he lived in industrial Birmingham.

I'd say he looks in those photos like any other teenager at that stage in their life does. Awkward.

Thats an excellent point, as for that pic above with the "legalize pot" sign does anyone know what happened to him cause that dude behind him has a sign that reads "Robert Plant must go free" as though he was arrested?>

Thats an excellent point, as for that pic above with the "legalize pot" sign does anyone know what happened to him cause that dude behind him has a sign that reads "Robert Plant must go free" as though he was arrested?>

Case dismissed on the grounds of insufficient evidence.

pk662.jpg

Very nice research.

Archived