Did Plant over-use the word "know" on House of the Holy album?

dpat

On a serious note, I know Robert isn't hailed as the greatest poet of our time, but IMHO he is a still a very good rock lyricist indeed, and maybe we should respect his work at least that much that we wouldn't ridicule anymore those who do try to analyze his lyrics? Wouldn't that be fair for everyone?

Yes, he is a very good rock lyricist (which is not to say he hasn't also written some lines that are real clunkers, mind you). I respect his work very much. I also know when people are reading too much into it, and making a little gentle fun of this approach (not Robert's lyrics) doesn't seem to me particularly unfair. There's such a thing as taking these matters too seriously! Sorry, WAY too seriously.

(However I'm going to delete my previous post since it seems to fall into the usual category of things I say that people take for way more than they are. The irony of you accusing ME of not respecting Robert has not gone unremarked, however. :D )

Hmm . . .

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know [pondering the inter-species possibilities?]

The snow falls hard and don't you know [possibly asking if this is what we do to keep warm?]

I know to trip is just to fall [so, pretty clumsy in the sack, is what you're saying?]

You know, you know, you know [stating the obvious, really]

You could be onto something, FireOpal. :unsure:

Or not. :D

Haha! I like that theory :D

Woah. Over-analysis in the extreme.

And I agree. Somebody's got waaay too much time on their hands

Yes, he is a very good rock lyricist (which is not to say he hasn't also written some lines that are real clunkers, mind you). I respect his work very much. I also know when people are reading too much into it, and making a little gentle fun of this approach (not Robert's lyrics) doesn't seem to me particularly unfair. There's such a thing as taking these matters too seriously! Sorry, WAY too seriously.

(However I'm going to delete my previous post since it seems to fall into the usual category of things I say that people take for way more than they are. The irony of you accusing ME of not respecting Robert has not gone unremarked, however. :D )

"The irony of you accusing ME..." :unsure: ?

I'm sorry if there have been misunderstandings between us before, although I don't really remember what instance you could be referring to. This time at least though, I didn't mean to accuse you as an individual, and wrote specifically in we form. I'm ok with gentle fun and criticizing Robert's lyrics too, but simply became worried that things might go too far when many forum members join their forces against one or two targets.

Hmm, and about analyzing Robert's lyrics... It is difficult, and people surely are bound to draw wrong conclusions from time to time. For me the point from which on fans are reading way too much into the lyrics, is when they become absolutely convinced that their interpretation is 100% correct. Before that point, it all should be more or less ok.

"The irony of you accusing ME..." :unsure: ?

I'm sorry if there have been misunderstandings between us before, although I don't really remember what instance you could be referring to. This time at least though, I didn't mean to accuse you as an individual, and wrote specifically in we form. I'm ok with gentle fun and criticizing Robert's lyrics too, but simply became worried that things might go too far when many forum members join their forces against one or two targets.

Hmm, and about analyzing Robert's lyrics... It is difficult, and people surely are bound to draw wrong conclusions from time to time. For me the point from which on fans are reading way too much into the lyrics, is when they become absolutely convinced that their interpretation is 100% correct. Before that point, it all should be more or less ok.

You quoted me, and were thus addressing me, as far as I'm concerned. I never referred to any previous misunderstandings between us. :huh: (Sometimes I wonder if I'm typing in English and it appears on the board in Klingon or something. :D ) The irony I was referring to arose from the number of times others have got on my case for being a Plant "apologist."

I don't see any necessary connection between the nature of the analysis and the degree to which somebody believes it, I'm afraid. Over-reading is over-reading. And I think the original poster showed much more sense of humor about this than you do.

But hey, everybody, analyze away. I'm done with it, as with so much else.

You quoted me, and were thus addressing me, as far as I'm concerned. I never referred to any previous misunderstandings between us. :huh: (Sometimes I wonder if I'm typing in English and it appears on the board in Klingon or something. :D ) The irony I was referring to arose from the number of times others have got on my case for being a Plant "apologist."

I don't see any necessary connection between the nature of the analysis and the degree to which somebody believes it, I'm afraid. Over-reading is over-reading. And I think the original poster showed much more sense of humor about this than you do.

Looks like the misunderstandings just pile up, although I'm glad if this is just a recent phenomenon between us :slapface: . I did reply to your post and was talking to you, but wasn't attacking you. And as you can see that we even over-read each other's posts, isn't it inevitable that Robert's lyrics get over-read a lot too? Lucky, that we at least have the chance to sort out our misunderstandings!

Aquamarine,don't be "done with it."You're probably the straighest shooting arrow on this forum.Often the arrows for some,traject too high overhead when they should have struck square in the kneecap.

My opinion for what it's worth,stay your steady consistent course.

Do stay, Aqua!! I enjoy your postings very much indeed. Why let some spoilsport with no sense of humour drive you off?

And for those of you who just don't get it: nobody was "ridiculing" Robert, or his lyrics, or his hair or his sheep.

you really oughta know

I know

you know I know

i don't know woah ooh woah

Funny you should bring this up. I've identified "know" as one of Robert's favorite phonetic sounds (all singers have em), and it is on every Zeppelin album as well as many solo albums. I've been meaning to sample each Zep instance of knows and group them by the preceding pronoun. Then on to Fruity Loops or Reason. Seems like a good ridiculous time to be had, but would anyone else think that was funny? I wish I had more time for the absurd. Absurd is funny. Encourage me or don't.

Well.....until now, i never noticed that. I will know.....i mean now. :D I love HOTH for many reasons and now one is to look into and think about why that word found it's way in the HOTH lyrics. Interesting topic my friend.

I'd like to know what were you on when you starting counting how many times the word "know" was on the HOTH album?

What was I on? I was on a mountain up in the Himalayas in the mid-1970s when my yogi handed me a cassette of HOTH to listen to right after he gave me a bitter tea to drink and a pipe to smoke. The hallucinations lasted for 24 hours and when I came back I was in the center of the nearest town, Sikta Ghat, sitting beside a woman bartering yak milk. I looked down to my trembling hand and saw that I had scrawled onto the cassette the word, "know." I just had to know why I had written that word ... never did find out, except to notice that it appears many times on the album.

But seriously, folks, just noticed it one evening reading the lyric sheet COLD STONE SOBER.

B)

Why not a thread dedicated to how many times he utters the phrase "oooh baby." :rolleyes:

Not enough bandwidth on the internet for that ... :tomato:

just kiddin'!!

• 2 weeks later...
HOW MUCH THERE IS TO KNOW? :blink:

I think I posted this eons ago on the alt.music.led-zeppelin discussion board, but listening to Houses of the Holy last night, it reminded me of how many times Robert Plant used the word "know" on the album ... not saying it was overused, but maybe Percy was detailing his quest for knowledge?:

SONG REMAINS THE SAME

Anything I wanted to know, any place I needed to go

You don't know what you're missing now.

Any little song that you know

RAIN SONG

The second season I am to know

But I know that I love you so

OVER THE HILLS & FAR AWAY

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missing

Guessing 'bout a thing you really ought to know

You really ought to know...

THE CRUNGE

I ain't gonna tell you nothin but I do will, but I know, yeah!

I should do but I know, now let me tell you bout my girl

She's the one a woman the one a woman that I know

I ain't gonna... tell you one thing that you really ought to know

She's the kind of girl--I know what it's all about

DANCING DAYS

I got my flower, I got my power, I got a woman who knows

I said it's alright. You know it's alright - I guess it's all in my heart

You are my woman who knows

NO QUARTER

The snow falls hard and don't you know?

OUTTAKES FROM HOTH:

THE ROVER

I know to trip is just to fall

Oh how I wonder, oh how I worry and I would dearly like to know

HOUSES OF THE HOLY

From the door comes Satan's daughter, and it only goes to show, you know

And the seeds of love I'll sow, you know

Can I make your garden grow? You know.

BLACK COUNTRY WOMAN

But that's alright, I know your sisters, too

Okay, I admit it: I got too much freakin' time on my hands!!!

:faint1:I can't believe it! You forgot The Ocean, 1:33 "I don't know!"

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed that he uses "fool" multiple times in In Through the Out Door, a word that is not found in any of the other albums.

Not until his solo years where it appears in Heaven Knows (though he didn't write the lyrics) and 29 Palms.

I noticed that he uses "fool" multiple times in In Through the Out Door, a word that is not found in any of the other albums.

he loves "fool". uses is a lowt. for ex. "what kind of fool am I?"..."what kinda foo foo foo foo" - Heaven knows

..in the rain

you need coolin, I ain't..

Archived