Vid of Bonzo & JPJ working with Paul McCartney

dpat

An offshoot from the "Plant does Elvis w/Rockpile" thread ...

John Bonham and John Paul Jones shown (among many others) during recording of Paul McCartney's song for a charity effort (Kampuchea - spelling error?) ... especially like it at 0:28 where Bonzo makes a suggestion about the drumming to someone I don't recognize:

Link to view Bonzo & JPJ with Paul McCartney doing Rockestra Theme

Lyrics are "Well, now, why haven't I had any dinner?"

Looks like it might be Abbey Road Studios due to the look of the sound baffles (is that what ya call 'em?) ... similar to the ones seen in Pink Floyd's Dark Side sessions spliced into the Live At Pompeii movie.

An offshoot from the "Plant does Elvis w/Rockpile" thread ...

John Bonham and John Paul Jones shown (among many others) during recording of Paul McCartney's song for a charity effort (Kampuchea - spelling error?) ... especially like it at 0:28 where Bonzo makes a suggestion about the drumming to someone I don't recognize:

Link to view Bonzo & JPJ with Paul McCartney doing Rockestra Theme

Lyrics are "Well, now, why haven't I had any dinner?"

Looks like it might be Abbey Road Studios due to the look of the sound baffles (is that what ya call 'em?) ... similar to the ones seen in Pink Floyd's Dark Side sessions spliced into the Live At Pompeii movie.

Thanks, that was fun to watch. Paul looks so young. And thin. Makes my mothering/nurturing instincts kick in, I would be glad to cook dinner for him & the whole gang.

Nice to see Bonzo doing some "directing". But didnt they know they didnt need all those drummers if they had him?

That's what I was thinking. Guess they just missed the memo. I would've liked to see Paul & JPJ have a bass battle :D

(Who says it's just for guitarists?)

I would've liked to see Paul & JPJ have a bass battle :D

(Who says it's just for guitarists?)

Good luck to Macca next to JPJ. There you have the greatest rock bassist ever, JPJ, and the greatest drummer, Bonzo, in their back line. "Attention all other bassists and drummers in the room...your services are not needed, we have the real Zeppelin rhythm section on hand".

Good luck to Macca next to JPJ. There you have the greatest rock bassist ever, JPJ, and the greatest drummer, Bonzo, in their back line. "Attention all other bassists and drummers in the room...your services are not needed, we have the real Zeppelin rhythm section on hand".

:lol::lol:

Nice to see Bonzo doing some "directing". But didnt they know they didnt need all those drummers if they had him?

But it wasn't really about that - it was about musicians joining together for a cause. I liked the fact there were so many great ones on stage together :)

• 3 years later...

Haha! Got him playing those crazy North drums. Great video, Bonzo is hardly shown at all in the "official" concert. That was Kenny Jones I believe who Bonzo was conferring with

When I was growing up in KC...a kids father from school had a huge north drum kit...that bass drum was loud...

That was really cool and sounded great, I had no idea it takes that many people in the studio to record that one song...

Two songs, actually- The 'Rockestra' plays on "Rockestra Theme" and "So Glad To See You Here", both found on McCartney & Wings' Back To The Egg LP. Recorded in 1978, released in early '79.

The really funny thing is Paul got all those guys together -arguably the cream of the British Rock aristocracy- and had them play...that. :lol: The sad thing is if the Rockestra hadn't been so hyped (and all the musicians listed on the album's inner sleeve) the songs would be pretty much indistinguishable from any other McCartney/Wings track. It's not like you can say, "Oh, that drum fill is so John Bonham" or "That lead lick just screams David Gilmour"...still, Macca pulled off quite a feat getting all these guys together, but who could say no to Paul McCartney?

It is worth mentioning that John Bonham was (along with Ringo, of course) Paul McCartney's favourite drummer.

Here's Paul McCartney (playing all the instruments) channeling his inner John Bonham on the "When The Levee Breaks"-inspired "Nothing's Too Much Just Out Of Sight" from his Electric Arguments album (2008):

42 minute documentary of the Rockestra studio session.. quality is rough.

2 part version.. shorter but much cleaner.

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=1fz4iXKdkBc

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=MXfonumOjWM

That is a classic piece of film from the McCartney archive. I had completely forgotten about that session. There are of course 2 members of the band there plus 3 members of the road crew that I can identify. And what really strikes me is the number of people smoking. Sign of the times.

Archived