JPJ Most Overlooked Band Member

They forgot to mention Piano, Organ, Mellotron, Moog, Clavinet and Recorder etc, etc, etc.

I reckon he could probably play Violin, Viola, Lute, Bazouki and Balalaika too!

Overlooked?

Not a "Rock Star"?

Hardly.

At least not by me and many others on this board.

JPJ exudes such a cool modesty.What I've admired about John Paul Jones was his being seemingly content to hang somewhat in the shadows.

A top flight,versatile musician who is well aware of his skills,but didn't have to be out front to prove it.

Just another quarter piece of the Led Zeppelin puzzle and why it worked.

JPJ exudes such a cool modesty.What I've admired about John Paul Jones was his being seemingly content to hang somewhat in the shadows.

A top flight,versatile musician who is well aware of his skills,but didn't have to be out front to prove it.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more. :)

It is unfortunate that most bass players get overlooked, and especially so considering Jones' skills. He, like everyone else in Zep, was essential to the band as a whole.

This is a fantastic post.

Anyone here who doubts John Paul Jones' talent, have a listen to Houses of The Holy. His bass and keyboard work on that album are just as IF NOT MORE vital than the guitar, drums, or vocals.

Selected John Paul Jones bass listenings:

The Lemon Song

How Many More Times

What Is And What Should Never Be

The Immigrant Song

The Ocean

Achilles Last Stand

Jonsey was an essential member of the band, just as important as Plant, Page or Bonzo. His bass work is legendary, his piano/keyboard skills allowed the band to branch out their sound w/out seeking an outside source and his ability to play guitar and mandolin allowed Page to utilize his full vision of the acoustic side of the group.

Seeing, then meeting, JPJ a few years ago was a tremendous highlight. The man put on an amazing show and yet, as always, seemed so humbled and thankful that we even came out to see him play.

Some of the previous posters have shared songs they feel are highlights of JPJ... I wouldn't even know where to start. I guess you could start with Good Times Bad Times and conclude with Wearing and Tearing. That should just about cover it...

{{{turning off computer to go listen to In The Light...}}}

• 2 weeks later...

not a rock musician?? he was that and great at so many things..christ he wrote the bass riff for black dog.. the average person thinks its page...... good times bad times is jpj.. he was the true brains of the group...... robert was the ferocious and at the same time gentle side of zeppelin in terms of attitude and vocals.... harmonica too haha....... bonzo was the pounding thunder.. pagey was the leader founder and mastermind behind everthing they did.. but jpj was the definite brains of the group.. i dont back down from that statement... i second the sentiment most underappreciated musician maybe of all time... zeppelin wouldnt have been the greatest band of all time without him.. woulda been great but not gods.. i guarantee it... they wouldnt be the zeppelin we all know and love and adore

not a rock musician?? he was that and great at so many things..christ he wrote the bass riff for black dog.. the average person thinks its page...... good times bad times is jpj.. he was the true brains of the group...... robert was the ferocious and at the same time gentle side of zeppelin in terms of attitude and vocals.... harmonica too haha....... bonzo was the pounding thunder.. pagey was the leader founder and mastermind behind everthing they did.. but jpj was the definite brains of the group.. i dont back down from that statement... i second the sentiment most underappreciated musician maybe of all time... zeppelin wouldnt have been the greatest band of all time without him.. woulda been great but not gods.. i guarantee it... they wouldnt be the zeppelin we all know and love and adore

True but that would be the case if any one of them weren't in the band. They were who they were because of the chemistry of the four of them :)

True but that would be the case if any one of them weren't in the band. They were who they were because of the chemistry of the four of them :)

thats definitely true completely agree with you thats why they broke up in december of 1980 after bonzos death on september 25th of 80' .. each member was equally important

Jonesy's a consummate musician, not just a rock musician. Surprisingly, seems the writer even overlooks some things, like his keyboard/piano contributions. Super grooves, melodies, discipline not to go over the top, and professionalism - wicked combo.

And I don't get how Entwistle and Manzarek make that list...

They forgot to talk about his keyboard playing. As unknown as he was as a bassist, he was even less known for his keyboard playing (which was just as amazing). People have been surprised when I tell them that Led Zeppelin had a keyboardist.

They forgot to talk about his keyboard playing. As unknown as he was as a bassist, he was even less known for his keyboard playing (which was just as amazing). People have been surprised when I tell them that Led Zeppelin had a keyboardist.

no to mention his above average playing on the mellotron, synclavier, and other assorted oodles.

jpj needs no props from anyone. he knows HE'S the man....

no to mention his above average playing on the mellotron, synclavier, and other assorted oodles.

jpj needs no props from anyone. he knows HE'S the man....

Hi beatbo,

Yes JPJ was, is, and will always be the man in my opinion. easily as talented as Page and he could play any instrument that you handed him, and thats acording to Jimmy himself.

If you want to see just who he play music with/for just look on his home page.

http://www.johnpauljones.com/bio.html

Truely a man for all sessions. <_<

Regards, Danny

I saw Page & Plant (without JPJ), and I saw the O2 concert clips with JPJ on You Tube.

Zeppelin without JPJ is not half as good as with Mr. John Paul Jones, and no amount of nepotism will EVER change my opinion on that !

Yes indeed!! B)

Archived