Theatre

eagle87

I loved it when Dan Aykroyd hosted Bad Theater on Saturday Night Live back in the 70's.

That was my favorite theater.

And when that atrocious violin player would come up to a couple at those fancy restaurants and play horribly for them. And now for your musical entertainment pleasure.

NOT !

A story I heard about Sarah Bernhardt.....There was a young actress in her group that told her that she never had stage fright and Burnhardt told her: 'Don't worry my dear, when you have talent, you will have stage fright!'

B)

Someone asked Ethel Merman if she was nervous playing the lead in Gypsy on Broadway and she replied "Nervous? Why would I be nervous? If anybody could play the role better than me, then they would be playing it"

Someone asked Ethel Merman if she was nervous playing the lead in Gypsy on Broadway and she replied "Nervous? Why would I be nervous? If anybody could play the role better than me, then they would be playing it"

That sounds like Ethel.

:D

well im just a young guy, so i couldn't be in any famous play or whatever...

now we'll start on April second... so let see what happens... I don't know wtf are we going to do, but im sure that it will be fun...

Theatre is healthy also..

Last year I helped a friend who had written a play about the goings on in the local library. We did a reading at the senior center and also invited the public (no money involved) and when my part came I was totally relaxed and had no problem being in front of all those people. We also did the play at the library and it was videotaped. I also lip synched a song and got it down pretty good. But I'm really not an actor and doubt I would ever do stage. She is currently shopping the play around the internet and I hope some professional group will give it a shot.

B)

well im just a young guy, so i couldn't be in any famous play or whatever...

now we'll start on April second... so let see what happens... I don't know wtf are we going to do, but im sure that it will be fun...

Theatre is healthy also..

Lots of luck to you! Let us know how things turn out.

Last year I helped a friend who had written a play about the goings on in the local library. We did a reading at the senior center and also invited the public (no money involved) and when my part came I was totally relaxed and had no problem being in front of all those people. We also did the play at the library and it was videotaped. I also lip synched a song and got it down pretty good. But I'm really not an actor and doubt I would ever do stage. She is currently shopping the play around the internet and I hope some professional group will give it a shot.

B)

nice... If you have the link of the video, i would like to watch it...

Well I studied it in uni and have worked on many productions. Still do when I can. I love it but it's really hard to make a living doing just that. Most theatre people I know supplement stage work with at least part-time jobs (teaching, publishing, etc.)

Juliet - cool links to some of our theatre venues. One of my favourite things is pay-what-you-can Sunday performances in many theatres in Toronto.

eagle87 - best of luck with your ventures

nice... If you have the link of the video, i would like to watch it...

I don't really know the link, but it's just a reading and it would be a zillion times better if it was done by pros. She's gotten a lot of praise for the play but just hasn't found the right people to do it. She is the local librarian too.

One funny part is that one of the librarians refuses to let God check out a book because he doesn't have a library card. :D But the play isn't strictly on religion and runs the gamut of everyday life.

B)

If you click on 'theatres' you get access to coast to coast listings of theatres in Canada. A great resource: theatrecanada.com

And by the way I'm totally jealous of anyone who'll get to see Ionesco's Exit the King with Geoffrey Rush and Susan Sarandon in New York. It got rave reviews in Australia and some more in NY already.

http://www.exitthekingonbroadway.com/

Well I studied it in uni and have worked on many productions. Still do when I can. I love it but it's really hard to make a living doing just that. Most theatre people I know supplement stage work with at least part-time jobs (teaching, publishing, etc.)

Juliet - cool links to some of our theatre venues. One of my favourite things is pay-what-you-can Sunday performances in many theatres in Toronto.

eagle87 - best of luck with your ventures

thanks ;)

If you click on 'theatres' you get access to coast to coast listings of theatres in Canada. A great resource: theatrecanada.com

And by the way I'm totally jealous of anyone who'll get to see Ionesco's Exit the King with Geoffrey Rush and Susan Sarandon in New York. It got rave reviews in Australia and some more in NY already.

i'd like to see that show....thanks for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

I love theatre :D I've been in our school acting group for a long time after I had to leave for reasons of that I had no time left. :mellow:

And the best part of our classtrip to England was definitely that we've been to the Shakespeare Globe a magical place :)

Britain's gifts to the world: Shakespeare and led Zeppelin, yeah B)

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to New York City the last weekend of this month.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a play or Broadway show to see?

I go to NYC every year the last weekend in April. Last year I saw Young Frankenstein. It was not that great. I have seen Spamalot, The Lion King, Fiddler On The Roof, The Producers with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, and of course, The Phantom of the Opera.

I am thinking about seeing Mamma Mia this year.

By the way, I think that I will visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex while I am there.

I go to NYC every year the last weekend in April. Last year I saw Young Frankenstein. It was not that great. I have seen Spamalot, The Lion King, Fiddler On The Roof, The Producers with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, and of course, The Phantom of the Opera.

By the way, I think that I will visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex while I am there.

I can't recommend South Pacific at Lincoln Centre highly enough. We saw it last summer and it's breathtakingly beautiful!!! I also liked the revival of West Side Story. And I hear Hair is quite good. We're going to try to see that in July when we're there.

If you don't necessarily have to see a musical, I recommend August: Osage County. Really good family drama.

Mamma Mia is fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If you haven't been to Top of the Rock, you may want to consider that. I thought the views of the city were much better than from the Empire State Building.

Have fun!!

Having had to read Shakespeare since I was 13/4, I can safely say that I never want to see a bloody play of his ever again :D

I did Drama GCSE at school, which was wonderful - it was all very 'act like a tree and throw caution to the wind', but we had great fun and it was the only lesson we had where we could walk without shoes. It was in this weird, dark room (everything was a navy blue - including the walls), but it was great. My two drama teachers were very melodramatic - big shock - but they really shaped us as people. Some of my best memories are in Drama.

I'm doing Literature at Uni now and I'm having to read a lot of plays - Henrik Ibsen, Caryl Churchill, Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, Euripides, etc - and I'm really starting to appreciate the art of playwriting, especially since I had to write one myself. I even have the script of Almost Famous.

Buck'eye' Doc, I'm soo excited for you, and not a little bit jealous. I posted this before:

It's a weird, imaginative comedy with Geoffrey Rush (who is a great!) and Susan Sarandon in a play that is not performed often at all. If you go, please give some feedback. Have fun!

Archived