Theatre

eagle87

Just bought tickets to How to Succeed and the Normal Heart for July 3rd! Woohoo!!!

Now have to figure out what to do on the 4th... no shows, but it's NY. I'm sure we'll find something :)

I saw Lu Xun, a show that's part of the Luminato Festival. Theirs is a different kind of theatre performance since the creators of Theatre Smith-Gilmour studied with Jacques Lecoq. It's sort of mime influenced, so the show was very minimalist - the set and characters were shaped out with sounds and gestures (though there was, of course, story and dialogue). It was a collaboration with Chinese artists so sometimes performance suffered from too much exposition, but it was quite good overall.

I love theatre and I'm a big fan. I've never seen any world famous play, just the ones that have been performed at my local theatre or inside my country. I have been going to theatre since my early age but sadly nowadays we don't have them performed in my town so often. I will definitely go to a theatre when I go to some bigger country.

• 1 month later...

I went last night with the hubby to the semi-annual Rotary fundraiser to the Riverside Community Players production of

"LUCKY STIFF"....ok guys don't get too excited. It's a musical play and the title refers to a dead guy. It's a cute and funny play and has a suttle reminder to me of Weekend at Bernies. Although the plot line and underlying lesson to enjoy life is different the dead guy being wheeled around all during the show reminded me of it. And the dead guy played his part very well.

This wasn't from the show I saw but I was surprised to see so much on youtube regarding this show, as I had never heard of it before. This is the opening song that sets the stage and the story.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see a really good show that a friend directed, "Kaspar and the Sea of Houses". It is part of the SummerWorks Theatre Festival. Heavy subject matter -- how the private and professional lives of social workers blur and disintegrate as a case slips through the system. It is based on a real case, which makes it all the more harrowing. The translation, which contains challenging monologues using the cut-up technique, was deftly handled by the actors. The language reflects how cracks begin to appear in the veneer of who they are, and reality comes spilling through. With some well-timed comedic relief, it's not as dour as it sounds. Still, there's value in showing how pressures can get to you, and the consequences of that when the stakes are so high. Most people can relate.

• 1 year later...

I’m taking my oldest daughter to see West Side Story at Bass Hall in FT Worth this Sunday. She just turned 7 and has been watching the DVD since she was 3, and loves it ! She really gets into the complex rhythms and time signatures of Bernstein’s’ work. She reminds me of myself listening to the album every day at that age.

Leonard Bernstein was a genius !

Leonard+Bernstein++The+New+York+Philharmonic+bernstein.jpg

I’m taking my oldest daughter to see West Side Story at Bass Hall in FT Worth this Sunday. She just turned 7 and has been watching the DVD since she was 3, and loves it ! She really gets into the complex rhythms and time signatures of Bernstein’s’ work. She reminds me of myself listening to the album every day at that age.

Leonard Bernstein was a genius !

Leonard+Bernstein++The+New+York+Philharmonic+bernstein.jpg

This makes me happy! West Side Story is my favorite musical ever. We had the pre-Broadway engagement at our theatre a few years ago. It was a wonderful production. I do hope the tour is as good.

I'm also happy that your daughter loves theatre. Have to pass it along to the kids. Nothing like it anywhere!!

Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great production West Side Story was last week, we loved it ! It’s the first time I’ve been to the Bass Hall in Ft Worth, I was very impressed. It’s a magnificent theater. Our seats were 3rd level up on stage right and had a perfect view into the orchestra pit. There was a mother, maybe and grandmother with her young daughter, couldn’t be more than 13, and I had my daughter Paige who just turned 7, they were both moving to the every note of the music….It’s very cool to see the theater to be passed on to the next generation.

So at Paige’s theater class on Thursday, she wore her West Side Story shirt that we picked up at the show. Her teacher was blown away when she saw her wearing it, and without saying a word he teacher broke out into the Jet Song, it was very cool indeed.

Our view of the stage and down into the pit :

8418696476_e4efb1b410_b.jpg

8417603583_0bb6597f90_b.jpg

What a beautiful theatre!! So glad you and Paige loved the show. Hope this is the beginning of a lifelong love of theatre for her :)

I just got back from a concert staging of Hairspray. John Waters narrated and Mickey Dolenz and a wonderful cast of Broadway veterans kept me and my sister laughing and applauding all evening. A great time had by all!!

We have the Geva theatre here in Rochester, NY. I have gone there for a Christman Carol and the traditional English dinner before the show. We have the Eastman school of music and the theatre there, where my graduation was held and the Rochester philharmonic orchestra plays. We also have the auditorium threatre where many big bands have played over the years. Just to mention a few

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight we saw Cinderella, the first ever staging of the Rogers & Hammerstein TV musical from the late 50's with Julie Andrews, done again in the mid-60's with Leslie Ann Warren (the one I saw as a mere tot and loved!!).

First the good things: the music is glorious!! The staging was beautiful and flawlessly done. Quite imaginative. The cast was splendid. Laura Osnos is a great talent with a stunning voice.

Now the not-so-good things: They've turned a charming one hour musical into a 2 and a half hour political piece. Don't ask me how, but they did. There were parts that were enchanting. Then there was most of it...sigh...

It's still in previews, so they're tinkering. But I'm not sure it can be fixed. We'll see.

Tomorrow, we're seeing Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. Really looking forward to it. The reviews have been fabulous.

Tonight we saw Cinderella, the first ever staging of the Rogers & Hammerstein TV musical from the late 50's with Julie Andrews, done again in the mid-60's with Leslie Ann Warren (the one I saw as a mere tot and loved!!).

First the good things: the music is glorious!! The staging was beautiful and flawlessly done. Quite imaginative. The cast was splendid. Laura Osnos is a great talent with a stunning voice.

Now the not-so-good things: They've turned a charming one hour musical into a 2 and a half hour political piece. Don't ask me how, but they did. There were parts that were enchanting. Then there was most of it...sigh...

It's still in previews, so they're tinkering. But I'm not sure it can be fixed. We'll see.

Tomorrow, we're seeing Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. Really looking forward to it. The reviews have been fabulous.

Another Liz Taylor classic. I have not heard Leslie Ann Warren's name in some time. Now how could they make Cinderella political? Strange. Maybe its best I dont know. I would rather keep the images in my mind of that classic that I will always love. So you are on Broadway? I believe Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is either coming or maybe its already been?

Another Liz Taylor classic. I have not heard Leslie Ann Warren's name in some time. Now how could they make Cinderella political? Strange. Maybe its best I dont know. I would rather keep the images in my mind of that classic that I will always love. So you are on Broadway? I believe Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is either coming or maybe its already been?

Well, right now I'm in the hotel...which is right off Broadway.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is playing now, but we decided to skip it. We saw Scarlett in A View From the Bridge a couple of years ago. The play and production and cast were outstanding. The reviews for this production have been very mixed and the tickets are incredibly expensive. And we've seen the show several times. So we decided to see...2 other shows we've seen several times :) Don't ask...

We may try to see the new play that Edie Falco is in on Sunday.

Well, right now I'm in the hotel...which is right off Broadway.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is playing now, but we decided to skip it. We saw Scarlett in A View From the Bridge a couple of years ago. The play and production and cast were outstanding. The reviews for this production have been very mixed and the tickets are incredibly expensive. And we've seen the show several times. So we decided to see...2 other shows we've seen several times :) Don't ask...

We may try to see the new play that Edie Falco is in on Sunday.

Isn't time for to get down to Florida now? Enough with the arts. Spring training has started. The pitchers and catchers have been there for at least a week.

I hope you are enjoying yourself in the Big Apple. My wife and daughter love the theatre. It sounds like the type of weekend they love to indulge in, while visiting Manhattan.

Isn't time for to get down to Florida now? Enough with the arts. Spring training has started. The pitchers and catchers have been there for at least a week.

I hope you are enjoying yourself in the Big Apple. My wife and daughter love the theatre. It sounds like the type of weekend they love to indulge in, while visiting Manhattan.

Don't worry - Florida trip has been booked!! March 11-16...can't wait!!!

Virginia Wolf this afternoon, then an Italian dinner. I think tomorrow we will be tourists and go to Grand Central to celebrate the 100th anniversary of that gorgeous building.

Thanks E for the word on "Cinderella"...too bad they felt Rodgers & Hammerstein needed tinkering. As if... :rolleyes:

Do you have time to stop by 96-98 St. Mark's Place and get a photo in front of the Physical Graffiti buildings? Maybe have some tea at the tea shop, Physical Graffi-TEA?

ebk, that is very interesting what you experienced with "Cinderella", now my interest is piqued. I'll be going off to read some reviews.

Last night I saw something a little more dark - an adaptation of "Crime and Punishment". The cast totalled three people, two playing different roles. The actor who played Porfiry and some other minor characters is Dan Butler of "Frasier" and "Silence of the Lambs". I enjoyed it, but I don't think everyone did.

jb, sounds like a really interesting evening at the theatre! Glad you enjoyed it.

This afternoon we saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen 4 people mesh together so seamlessly on a stage in my life. I was totally taken in from the start. Not a false moment throughout the entire 3 hours. It was as if I was seeing the play for the first time. And really, I'm going to have to go back and read it because it seemed like it was almost a totally different play. It was a whole lot quieter than I've ever experienced it. And a whole lot more powerful. Just brilliant.

jb, sounds like a really interesting evening at the theatre! Glad you enjoyed it.

This afternoon we saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen 4 people mesh together so seamlessly on a stage in my life. I was totally taken in from the start. Not a false moment throughout the entire 3 hours. It was as if I was seeing the play for the first time. And really, I'm going to have to go back and read it because it seemed like it was almost a totally different play. It was a whole lot quieter than I've ever experienced it. And a whole lot more powerful. Just brilliant.

Ebk......what theater was that in?

Ebk......what theater was that in?

It's at the Booth Theatre until March 3rd. If you'll be in NYC in the next week, I can't recommend it strongly enough. I'm hoping that there are Tony awards all around for the cast come June.

Edited because I obviously can't read a calendar if I thought March 3rd was 2 weeks from now... :)

• 3 months later...

Went to the Kennedy Center this afternoon to see a new translation of The Guardsman. Because the world was clamboring for a new translation of The Guardsman... Okay, I majored in theatre and I've never heard of this play,much less seen any translation of it - ever. Not that I'm saying I'm an authority on every play ever written...

It was a very early 20th century work. Having read of it's history, it seems it's been translated to lean more towards the comedic in the past...the Lunts starred in the last Broadway mounting way back "in the day." The show today was more balanced between the comedy and the inner turmoil of the lead couple. Still, I'm not sure why anyone felt the need to mount this chestnut again. It served the main purpose of getting me out of the house today to meet 2 friends and have some wine after the show. (Let's hear if for free tickets!)

I'm totally looking forward to the Tonys tomorrow evening!!!

• 1 year later...

Time for another dust up of this thread :D

First up:

Pacino. Mamet. Broadway. Go.

David Mamet's ‘China Doll' adds Fran Kranz opposite Pacino

The Associated Press

9:52 PM, Apr 2, 2015
Theater-China_Doll_JPEG-0b38b__16067025_
PICTURE BY ANDY KROPA
NEW YORK (AP) — The return of Al Pacino to Broadway this fall in “China Doll’ has attracted actor Fran Kranz and Tony Award-winning set and costume designers.

Producers Jeffrey Richards, Jerry Frankel, and Steve Traxler said Thursday that Derek McLane will make the sets and Jess Goldstein will dress the actors.

Pacino will act opposite Kranz, who appeared in “You Can’t Take It With You” with James Earl Jones, and was also seen in the Tony-winning Mike Nichols revival of “Death of a Salesman.”

In the play, written by David Mamet, Pacino plays a wealthy man about to retire and marry a younger woman when his plans are shaken by a phone call. Pam MacKinnon will direct.

Previews begin Oct. 20, with an official opening on Nov. 19 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/entertainment/arts-and-culture/david-mamets-china-doll-adds-fran-kranz-opposite-pacino_66237426

Archived