Baritone Zeppelin

McSeven

I'm quite surprised/confused by a question like this. :blink:

All I am saying is that if Plant was a Baritone, would the music of Zeppelin still work. Since we are used to a Tenor voice.

For example if we Switced Plant for Jim Morrison would Jim's vocals work with the style of Zeps music. Could The Doors music work with Robert Plants tenor vocal style.

Mc7

Weird question. I think Robert is a pretty versatile vocalist, not much range but versatile and Zep covered a lot of ground. Because of that I feel a different type of vocalist would work with Zep. RP has proven time and again he is more than what he did in Zep.

Replacing someone like Morrison would be a tad more difficult. I'm no Doors fan, can't stand them actually and despite that Morrison shouted or talked through much of their stuff he was a gifted front man, he was all about attitude and performance. It's tough to fake attitude even if you are a great vocalist.

Robert's voice is one of the reasons why Zeppelin's music took the way it did. If you took Robert out there wouldn't haven been a Zeppelin music like we know now.

So it makes no sense to say if it would work IMO.

If Plant was a Baritone/if Zep brought a Baritone singer in. Would a Baritone Singer change the dynamic of Zep sound wise?

Mc7

I don't think you can really answer the first part because the fact is, he's not a baritone singer. As for bringing a baritone singer in at the time, well it wouldn't have been Zep as we know it.

Archived