Bron Yr Aur Stomp live vs. studio differences

Bluesyzep

I was re-playing the live clip and decided to give it a go. I can't find any tab for the live version but have the Alfred studio notation/tab version. Is that because the only difference is the tuning and both are played the same? I think so but need a second opinion.

I tried to play them both to compare and was surprised to find that the live version isn't on TSRTS CD. Off hand I don't notice much difference.

Still curious about the live version but did figure out a couple things. After watching closely I was surprised to find he was using a flat pick. I thought that to be playing that fast he had to be using a fingerpick. Wrong. The other thing is that the live and studio version are nearly identical up until the end of the studio at 4:16. At this point Jimmy seems to go into an extended solo reserving some of the lyrics til after.

This is probably the hardest song I've attempted yet. I can't even get the intro sorted out yet. :slapface:

Still looking for the live tuning and/or a video lesson.

Are you referring to the live version that's on the Led Zeppelin DVD?

If so, that version is in Open G tuning. There is an extended, improvised solo in the middle that relied heavily on the main riff from a Chet Atkins song called "Black Mountain Rag".

Hope this helps! :)

Are you referring to the live version that's on the Led Zeppelin DVD?

If so, that version is in Open G tuning. There is an extended, improvised solo in the middle that relied heavily on the main riff from a Chet Atkins song called "Black Mountain Rag".

Hope this helps! :)

I thought the DVD and the TSRTS versions were the same. I'll have to dig out the DVD version and compare. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, there is no TSRTS version...Stomp wasn't played on the 1973 US tour.

Methinks you might be referring to the "How the West Was Won" release, from the June 25, 1972 LA Forum gig...which does differ slightly from the 1975 Earl's Court version on the 2003 DVD release in a couple of ways.

First, 75 Earl's Court Stomp as shown on the DVD is complete in that Plant sings all the verses, whereas on the "HTWWW" Stomp, Plant forgets to sing the last verse.

Secondly, the instrumental break is longer on the 75 DVD Stomp than the 1972 HTWWW Stomp.

Archived