New Performance Galleries at the V&A Opening This Month

AllisonAdler

A quote from PhotonBeam, their '77 tour roadie - courtesy of RO.

There was no wardrobe person or seamstress that I remember travelling with the crew on the '77 tour. I assume Richard Cole arranged for cleaning or repairs of the wardrobe. The band arrived at the venues already dressed in their stage outfits and departed after the show without changing. Even though the crew flew almost everywhere on that tour, there were a couple of times when we travelled on a crew bus (ie. to Tampa). I remember once Raymond T. had the dragon suit (there was only one) - it was hanging in the rear of the bus and still damp. I'm pretty sure it was from Jimmy's sweat and not from being cleaned. It may have been rinsed out and hung up to dry occassionally, but not often enough. It was completely soaked with sweat after each show and somewhat smelly :rolleyes: Robert's bluejeans were always cleaned, pressed and creased probably by the hotel. Bonzo was fond of Showco T-shirts.

He also said that he believed the 'main' reason that Jimmy wore the storm-trooper outfit was because that the dragon suit 'needed cleaning'.

So, there you go.

Seriously! I've always thought of him as a clean, tidy type, but... :ph34r:

Though I still wonder why he didn't let the hotel service do the washing like Robert did. Diehard led wallet?

In 1977, I believe the clothes were dry-cleaned and not "washed".

In 1977, I believe the clothes were dry-cleaned and not "washed".

....one expen$ive laundry bill I say....Richard must have shopped for discount prices, considering the "Led Wallet" issue here .... :D :D (just kidding, Jimmy)...

Dry-Cleaning would have maintained the condition of his Dragon Suit....this makes me wonder why it wasn't offered for display....

Just from my knowledge on this Forum, The Black Dragon Suit is at the Hall of Fame....and rest belong to Page....

...Hmmm....

It's funny that she knew how Robert smelt when he awoke. :oB)

I finally found my xeroxed copy of the Ellen Sander Life magazine article:

The group awoke to the Detroit late afternoon and munched on grilled cheese sandwiches in the motel snack shop, blocking out the next few hours before they'd have to play. Robert split for a brief walk and some shopping. As he crossed the street a motorist screeched to a stop beside him and spat in his face. He returned to the motel for a ride, all upset. "I'm white," he mused; "I can imagine how a spade feels here."

Detroit. The lowest.

He returned from the drugstore with shampoo, a comb, and some creme rinse for his copious mane, but no deodorant, which he needed regularly and badly.

Robert split for a brief walk and some shopping. As he crossed the street a motorist screeched to a stop beside him and spat in his face. He returned to the motel for a ride, all upset. "I'm white," he mused; "I can imagine how a spade feels here."

Detroit. The lowest.

Thanks for the effort to dig it out.

But what was that for? :o

I can imagine how thrilled he must have been to read all that about himself in Life. (Then by the time the story appears in HOTG, it's become a tale of him smelling so bad he was actually sent out to get the shampoo and deodorant. No wonder they weren't keen on the press!)

Sorry kiddos, it’s not the Poppy suit

-----------------------------------------

From: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/news/index.php...009news#031709a

jp20090317_01.jpg

jp20090317_02.jpg

--------

Can anyone pinpoint exactly WHEN in 1975 he wore this suit, because I went through all my pics from 1975 and 1977 and couldn't find when it was worn.

I have no idea when in 1975 he wore it. Idont think I have ever seen this either. I know about the trousers. He wore the trousers in 1975. but not the jacket. SteveJones, do you know?

la_3-25-75-a.jpg

la75-8-1.jpg

la75-7.jpg

The possibilities have been explored in great detail, as to the mysterious White Suit on Display...

I have seen a video of Jimmy Page (sometime, in press conference 90's), where he briefly talks about his stage costumes....how one of his costumes was "cut" from the original length, or some adjustment, that I recall....sorry, I can't find that video, if anyone comes cross...that would be great...(I think that "may" explain as to why the original White Dragon Suit was NOT donated)....

One more detail I wanted to mention about the White dragon suit....I recently purchased a photograph book, where the White Dragon Suit, although beautiful in '77 Stage, appears to be bit "stained" Left Leg upper thigh....(I wonder if the "condition" was also a factor for NOT donating this suit)

tks. lot....

This is the picture...But it is too small here

2yor1uw.jpg

added: His Black Dragon Suit, I believe is at the Hall of Fame, just reading a while ago from this forum...

Archived